N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Started off quick, then faded in the end

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 08:56 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started off quick, then faded in the end

Began today pulling the '40 rear I have apart. PB Blaster needed some help, so I heated all the nuts and bolts to a dull red an let'em sit and cool. No problem, they all came out like it was 1940

Got the rear completly apart, and then hit the wall on pulling the pinion out...if I ever run into one of Henry's offspring, gonna have to give him/her a good slap across the forehed.

Been heating/pressing/pulling and tugging the last 4 hours and only have my pinion gear out just a scooch...gonna have to make something tomorrow to take care of this stuff.

Anyway, anyone else do anything constructive today?

Old 01-21-2007, 01:30 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I got started on some tear-out on the motorhome interior, assessing what I'm going to need to replace to get rid of the rot and make it habitable again.

Did a little work on the smoker and test fired it for the first time, just about ready to smoke some meat, then I followed up by putting the gas tank back in the Ranger. I think I'll see if I can get enough done to fire it up tomorrow.

Also hit the wrecking yard for a few minutes to take a closer look at the frames on the two 77 Highboys for comparison purposes. One has an open frame and the other is boxed back to the crossmember. Hmmm...

Old 01-21-2007, 10:37 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Dan, what do you need for your motorhome? I've got one out back I was going to put on the road, but gave up when the outside paneling began to separare...I've taken some things out of it, but there may be something of use to you before I have it hauled off. It's a short one like your's on a Dodge chassis, not sure if there'd be anything of use left for you, but you're welcome to it.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:16 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I could use a gas/electric refrigerator - I replaced my old icebox with a small electric one, but seldom park where 110 volt power is available. Most of the time I am buying ice and using a small ice chest,

Old 01-21-2007, 11:23 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I'll see if it's still there Clint, I had told a neighbor he could have it for his boat last year, he may have snagged it already, if not, you're welcome to it.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:44 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
I had a huge post all typed out and then lost it...so I'll just sort of condense it rather than do it all over again.

Most of the work needed on my rig is interior, rotted paneling, 1x2 structure and some flooring. I haven't checked the appliances yet, just plugged it in for the first time yesterday. The converter seems to work but there are wiring issues with the 12V lights. Haven't checked the fridge yet, it's gas/electric. Water heater is electric with a built-in heat exchanger to heat the water with the engine coolant while driving. Kind of cool but means no hot water if you camp someplace with no plug-ins, unless you run the engine or bring a portable generator...not much room for one. I might install a gas water heater as an aux. heater to solve that problem. Do you have one?

Haven't checked the stove yet, one of the burner controls seems suspect and it's filthy but I think it's salvageable.

I do need a roof vent but I have an old 110V A/C /heater that I may install up there...again, it only works when plugged in (if it works at all!). I also have some new carpeting to install once I get the floor repaired, and I guess I'll hit the lumber yard for some Masonite to replace the bad paneling and just use wallpaper over it. I doubt I'll be able to match the paneling...

Last edited by TigerDan; 01-21-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:06 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
lol...sounds like the reason I abandoned mine..just to much work for what it would be worth when I got done.

I'll see if it has a waterheater, I know it has a heater in it, stove should still be there too.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
What? you abandoned a motorhome on a Dodge chassis? Nooooooo! Did you at least pull the engine out before you abandoned it?

Old 01-21-2007, 10:04 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Well...the 360 was in sad shape, broke a rod, hole in the pan, ground the crank journal to where I coould put my finger through it...so I bought yet another on with a 318...had it rebuilt, and when I got ready to install it, that's when I noticed the paneling separating, needed new tires, needed AC...on and on...all said and done I'd have twice into it for what I could by another one running and ready just like it.

Hence the reason I have a few spare 727's and a fresh 318 for my '31/32 dodge project.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:06 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Clint/Dan...didn't get home in time to look inside it today, but will do so for you guys tomorrow.

Thinking about it...It may look better at Dan or Clints place...has a nice Dana 70 with 4.11's under it...only 75K on the clock.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:58 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Well...finally got the pinion out of the housing...had to look it over real good to figure things out...it has a "double" race bearing for the outer bearing....I wasn't putting heat in the right spot.

Funny what a 2ton bottle jack and a torch can accomplish

Now it's a matter of getting the carrier apart and see what kind of mess is in there.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:20 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
I hate Mondays, let me tell you about my day...

Started off by working with the backhoe loading up the dumptruck. Had to stop and turn the hoe around to pull some material off of the top of the pile. When I went to turn the seat back around it stuck, then came all the way out suddenly so I lost my grip and the seat post came down squarely on my big toe. I thought I'd broken it, but it just took a nice chunk of meat off.

Then I went to move the hoe to the other side of the pile and started getting noise out of the rear end. Drained the gear oil and pulled the inspection plate, found 4 broken teeth on the ring gear. Stick a fork in the old hoe, she's done...

Did I mention I hate Mondays...?

Old 01-22-2007, 08:06 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Only thing to make it worse is if you had to foot the bill for it.

Damn, reminds me I have to do the rear seal on mine...I'm thinking Spring time and doing it under the carport.

BTW, I'll bet you'll have a small fortune in it if you buy those gears from Case...I got hit for 400 bucks for one tranny gear, another 450 or so for the syncro gear pack.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:14 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Yeah, I told the boss to offer 500 bucks to a guy who has an old beater 580B loader only (no hoe) that's been sitting and we could use it for parts. The engine's all apart but it's pretty much all there, I'd just swap the rear end.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:23 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Yes, best route to go...just pull the "new" one apart and look it over first.

I've got an extra rearend for mine that the guy gave me when i bought...good thing...mine a little noisy too...might just take care of it when i get around to splitting things up to et to the rearmain.