Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Junior User

fawey1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
heater control valve location

I am trying to locate the heater control valve on my 1997 4 cylinder 2wd ford ranger. Any advice and/or pictures of it would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Elder User

Tiggie is starting off with a positive reputation.
On the passenger side of the engine. Follow the heater hoses from the firewall and you'll come to it.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Junior User

fawey1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I followed it but don't see what the picture shows, could it look different? Mine is a 4 cylinder automatic with air?
Thanks,
Ken
Old 01-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Elder User

That's what mine looked like on my '95 4-cyl, with are, but's a manual.

Now that I look, it could also look like these:

There is also a chance it could have been elminated by someone. I'm not completely sure about the HVAC system on the Rangers, but many cars don't use a heater control valve, they just let the coolant into the heater core all the time.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Senior User

98range is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 98 ranger with the four port valve. A vacuum line connects to the valve. What makes the valve open or close? Does it close off the coolant into the heater core when closed?
Old 03-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98range
I have a 98 ranger with the four port valve. A vacuum line connects to the valve. What makes the valve open or close? Does it close off the coolant into the heater core when closed?
The vacuum makes it open/close (not sure which). Depending on the position of the temperature selector and climate control selector (the thing you turn to A/C, defrost,etc), vacuum will be applied.

It does block the coolant from the heater core when closed.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Senior User

Why then is it hot either on a/c or heat? Only max a/c is it cool but not cold air. I did the fix on the blend door but don't think it worked. I guess I just want to know which control shuts the heater valve so no hot coolant enters the heater core.

Thanks for your answer.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Post Fiend

Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
The valve is open all the time except when MAX A/C is selected.
Ford Pics
Old 04-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Elder User

Mine doesn't open until you cut the heat on. In the OFF position, I'm sure it doesn't open.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Post Fiend

Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggie
In the OFF position, I'm sure it doesn't open.
You are correct. The valve is also shut (cutting off the hot coolant to the heater core) when OFF is selected. I should have been clearer on that.
Ford Pics
Old 04-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Senior User

Thank-you for the answers. I might try and cut the plenum under the door to see if I can remove door that must be broke.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Senior User

Pinhead-227 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know this thread is kind of old, but I'm having the same problem. The heater control valve on my '98 Ranger isn't shutting off the heat. Just like 98Range and Rockledge's. Did you guys get this fixed? How?
Old 05-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead-227
I know this thread is kind of old, but I'm having the same problem. The heater control valve on my '98 Ranger isn't shutting off the heat. Just like 98Range and Rockledge's. Did you guys get this fixed? How?
Are you saying you can't get any cool air even when you turn the temp. control **** all the way to the blue (cold) area? If that's the case, then you have a blend door issue. The blend door is not the same thing as the heater control valve.
Ford Pics
Old 05-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Senior User

Yes I got mine fixed. I bought a new blend door from Rock Auto Parts for about $9.63. I cut a hole in the bottom of plenum to remove old door. I drilled a 3/4" hole with holesaw to lift out the door.(dimple in molded plenum that held old door)
I then used a 1/2" copper cap to a 3/4" long piece of copper pipe and soldered it to a 9" piece which I screwed to the bottom of the plenum.

The copper cap holds the bottom of the door in position as the piece of plastic I drilled out. If you want to talk by phone PM me with your # and I will explain in more detail.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Senior User

Pinhead-227 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like a cool fix. I'm in the process of trying the "Blend Door Fix" with the actuator. One problem, though...

What do I do if I drop my ratchet behind the actuator? Mine was held down with 3 screws, and when trying to get to the rear one (front of the pickup) it fell and I can't reach it...
Old 05-18-2007, 09:51 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
1997, 1999, 2003, 99, control, f450, ford, fors, heater, located, location, navigator, picture, ranger, v10, valve