Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Divorcing Ford from my family!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 02:55 AM
jvivek
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Divorcing Ford from my family!

Well it is a sad day, I had good experience with Ford but there is nothing out there from Ford that interests me anymore. I am going to be buying the new Tundra & CRV to replace Explorer and taurus. And getting rid of work vehicle Aerostar with Astro. I have been a Ford fan all these years and still will own my mustang with twin turbo setup. Maybe someday I will come back.

Thanks
Vic

Old 12-17-2006, 08:12 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jvivek
Maybe someday I will come back.
OK. Maybe not a divorce then, just a trial separation.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:48 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
Why would you decide to buy the new Tundra when the only thing you really know about it is that it is a Toyota? The cost, fuel mileage, how it fits you and so many other factors not known wouold keep me from making an early decision. I wanted a Tundra when I bought my F-150 but it wasn't worth the $5,000 price difference and the price difference and availability for parts.

I compared my niece's CRV with my wife's V6 Escape. The CRV also cost more and is very underpowered in the mountains whereas the Escape is very powerful for a SUV. The CRV is a very good vehicle but it is not good for mountain roads.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:48 PM
jvivek
Freshman User
the main reason for not buying f150 is due to commercial companies, too many of them on the road, I find the truck boring, I am not going to use it for towing, it will be more of a commute vehicle, Deciding between Tacoma and Tundra, I had my mind set on Tacoma but going to wait release of Tundra. Main reason is reliability of crv, I hate taking the vehicles into the shop over and over again.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:51 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with that...

Old 12-17-2006, 08:16 PM
moldman7n
Senior User
A friend of mine bought a Tacoma and a Corolla so he would have little or no mechanical problems. Both were bought new 2 years ago. Surprise surprise surprise. Not that they are junk but they've both been in the shop several times. It's hit or miss with any vehicle. I'd take an F150 over any Toyota wanna be truck, but of course Superduty is the real way to go. I think the Escape is cool for a small SUV.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:16 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
the main reason for not buying f150 is due to commercial companies, too many of them on the road.
Did you ever consider that there might be a reason? Parts availability and cost are sometimes more important that a little better reliability. About 90% of farm and professional lawn service equipment where I live is John Deere. It's the availability and cost of replacement parts that sells them. Extended down time waiting on parts is costly and the limited time available to complete planting, mowing, etc. can result in economic disaster if the equipment is down and waiting on repair parts. Several years ago, you would have thought Kubota was going to take over until the problems with repair parts became apparent.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:19 PM
lance65
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
buy AMERICAN!support the country in which you hang your hat!

Old 12-17-2006, 10:21 PM
jvivek
Freshman User
Originally Posted by moldman7n
A friend of mine bought a Tacoma and a Corolla so he would have little or no mechanical problems. Both were bought new 2 years ago. Surprise surprise surprise. Not that they are junk but they've both been in the shop several times. It's hit or miss with any vehicle. I'd take an F150 over any Toyota wanna be truck, but of course Superduty is the real way to go. I think the Escape is cool for a small SUV.
True, Toyota is a not a genius either but at least their vehicle have better market value then Ford's. I don't like the idea of loosing 10 grand plus on a domestic within a year.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:22 PM
jvivek
Freshman User
Originally Posted by lance65
buy AMERICAN!support the country in which you hang your hat!
I am in Canada, I have been loyal to domestic more then needed, I can't afford to anymore.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 PM
jvivek
Freshman User
2001 Ford explorer EB: 168,000 Km's
Nothing but troubles, a day after warranty runs out, I have spent 10 grand to maintain it since purchase in 2002.

1999 Ford Taurus.
Lost Tranny at 96 thousand kilometers, tons of other fixes over the years. but I like it better then the explorer, been very happy with it because other then the tranny everything else been minor stuff.

1995 Aerostar
I use this strictly to haul gear and work out of, pain to work on, little stuff cost you lot of money on it. II have spent 3000 thousand on it within a year.

1988 Mustang
Got twin turbo's. Biggest money burning vehicle to date. I have spent 15 grand in mods on it.

I am going to get rid of everything and cut my losses. I just can't afford to buy a Ford or any domestic no more. I am going to Toyota, hopefully one day I might be back when it looks like Ford has more to offer then what they are offering right now.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
I don't like the idea of loosing 10 grand plus on a domestic within a year.
But you gonna pay 10 grand plus more on Toyota compared to Ford.

Last edited by Red Star; 12-17-2006 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:33 AM
jvivek
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Red Star
But you gonna pay 10 grand plus more on Toyota compared to Ford.
well you got a point there but consider this, if I go to sell the explorer right now, I am going to take even a higher hit, with Tacoma/Tundra at least I get way more money then domestic.

Domestic have no resale value at all.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:13 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I hope you have good luck with your toyota man!

One thing is though, you cant compare an f150 to an explorer, a taurus or a areostar! The f150 is so much better quality then those vehicles. As for the mustang, that is alot of mods into it, and it must be badass, but how has it been as a car for maintenace, disregarding the price of the mods?

Old 12-18-2006, 03:59 AM
jvivek
Freshman User
I really hate this explorer, I think every little thing starts leaking on it, it's a lemon, unfortunately I can't afford to buy another Ford, F150 is nice but just about every person is driving one. I am sure Tundra is going to be a nice truck. I just want to be different then the next guy who is driving a F150.

Quick Reply: Divorcing Ford from my family!