6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR valve, pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:51 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyiron
vloney, have you actually driven a 6.0 with the egr disconnected? I said it before and I'll say it again, there is NO WAY that my turbo is fixed, static, stationary or in any other way not operating as it is supposed to.

Ofcourse, thats just my seat of the pants bias on the issue.
Yep, several of them as a matter of fact. I am one of those individuals that doesn't accept the standard excuses or answers. I conduct my own evaluations. They will perform suprisingly well with the egr disabled, but the vanes still are in default mode. I had never heard of anyone disconnecting the egr until I came to FTE. After that, I broke out the ngs+ when it was still supported, then the wds, now, the ids. I watched the data stream on one still hooked up, then disconnected the egr and watched again. I've done this on different years, federal emissions, and california emissions. Again, I am not one that says this is gospel, just the several that I have tested. You believe whatever you wish.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:22 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vloney
Yep, several of them as a matter of fact.
Ever test one that has an SCT programmer with the EGR shut off? Just wonder if it does the same? If not, wanna meet up sometime for an experiment?

Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 AM
PSDiesel60
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you 6L PWR, that has been bothering me all day as to what the SCT does. If the SCT disables the EGR, but leaves it plugged in, is the computer getting the proper signals allowing the turbo to go into full boost? (I would assume so, because I think Matt (PSD 60) is getting into the mid 30 psi range with an SCT and I know he is an advocate of disconnecting the EGR)

I have mine disconnected because I read through the 700 posts about it in the one thread and the one thing that truly makes sense is to not suck the exhaust back through the motor. However, I don't like the thought of it limiting my turbo's boost pressure...is the SCT the fix for this? Matt is programming mine now, and I haven't asked him about it, but today I was thinking about it all day.

Also, after disconnecting it for a few thousand miles, is there going to be a lot of buildup on the one side of the valve from it stopping the flow at that point? Essentially if you were going to plug it back in, would it be necessary to clean it first? I would like to here from the techs on this vloney or bowtie...any thoughts? (I have an '04 by the way)

Old 01-24-2007, 01:26 AM
Diesel_D
Freshman User
I just took a trip with my 2004 F350 FX4 6.0 l. Usually my MPG's increase on a good road trip, however this time it went down and on the return trip in the mountains my truck was surging when going up a grade, almost seemed like it wanted to downshift but was having difficulty. Anyway took it to the dealership when I got home(only have 26,000 miles on truck so under full warranty) Tech said it was my EGR not Tranny, so it got cleaned in accordance with Ford TSB. I am going to leave my EGR connected and I have decided I am going to start cleaning it myself every 10 to 15,000 miles. My question is are there any particular cleaning solvents to clean it with and also I think I am going to start using a cetane booster, any recommended? I have used Lucas fuel treatment but thats about it. I also replace my HCFM filter and fuel filter about every 15,000 miles. I had seen a procedure for removing and cleaning the EGR on some thread here in the past can't seem to find it now. Seem to remember it saying it was pretty simple so I am gonna give it a try. Any advice would be great!

Old 01-24-2007, 01:41 AM
PSDiesel60
Junior User
Here is the link you are looking for about cleaning the valve...https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...egr-valve.html

Before taking it out, you will probably want to get the new rings for it as I guess they typically tear when you remove the valve. The part number is in the tech folder...and the link to that... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...ml#post3352228

Hope that helps,

Tom

Old 01-24-2007, 06:04 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 6L PWR
Ever test one that has an SCT programmer with the EGR shut off? Just wonder if it does the same? If not, wanna meet up sometime for an experiment?
Oh No--All of my customers swear that they don't have programmers---so there isnt any reason to extend my offer to them if they dont have 'em. Yeah, it would be interesting to find out some more info on that subject. You rarely have someone that is honest enough to admit their mods, then still want your help. (I will help anyone if they are just honest with me!)

Old 01-24-2007, 08:22 AM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vloney
Oh No--All of my customers swear that they don't have programmers---so there isnt any reason to extend my offer to them if they dont have 'em. Yeah, it would be interesting to find out some more info on that subject. You rarely have someone that is honest enough to admit their mods, then still want your help. (I will help anyone if they are just honest with me!)
Kewel. You know I'll admit to it. It's kinda hard to hide what I've done anyway. ROFLMAO. So, do you work on Saturdays at all? How late do you work on Mondays? A Monday would probably work out best anyway. I still owe your parts guy a ride for the help on the parts he got me. I'd love to give you a ride too, and your son if he wants to have a souped up 6.0L experience. lol Let me know, I'd love to know the answer to this.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Diesel_D
Freshman User
Thumbs up

Yes Tom that sure does help. As a matter of fact that was exactly the thread I had seen before but could'nt find again lol. Looks easy enough to me! Anyone have any recommendations as to fuel additives especially for cetane increase. Hopefully as everyone has been saying this new diesel fuel will solve alot of problems.
Thanks again