Sponsored by:

tow mirror from 04 fit 02?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 PM
billygoat
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tow mirror from 04 fit 02?

I have the heated, non tow mirrors, with the turn signal in the mirror on my 02 X. I like the 04 heated tow mirrors with the plastic signal lens. Will these 'plug-n-play on my 02?

TIA

Old 01-15-2007, 09:21 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
Physically, they should fit fine.

As far as the electrical connections go, I do not think that they will 'plug-n-play, but I might be wrong. But, with just a few butt connectors, you should be able to make all the finctions work no problem even if it isn't 'plug-n-play'. All the wires for power move, turn signal, and heat should be there, but you may need to run a wire for the running light, because as far as I know (i may be wrong) the non-tow mirrors didn't have have running lights, but I'm not sure if that wire is still in the harness. I did a similar swap on my 2000 X (not the signal mirrors though), and it was easy, but I did have to cut and splice some wires. No big deal at all.

Hope that helps!

Isaac

Old 01-16-2007, 01:03 AM
billygoat
Mountain Pass
I'm not much for slicin' and dicin'. If that's what it takes, I may try and find some 02 tow mirrors with the signal on the glass.......

Old 01-16-2007, 01:36 AM
afreemanmd
Elder User
before you do anything, let someone else chime in. Like I said, I have an 2000 X, so it didn't have signal mirrors at all (even as an option), and I'm not sure exactly what year things changed, so the '04's may plug right it, I'm just not sure.

Maybe someone else with your setup/ model year will know what the connectors in the door look like. This mod is pretty common, so I bet someone will be able to help you more than I can.

good luck!

Isaac

Old 01-16-2007, 04:19 AM
fordman 460
Junior User
I have an '04 F-250 with the tow mirrors and also an '02 X. I personally don't think the view out of the mirrors from the '04 are any better than the X. As was mentioned, I highly doubt that it is a plug and play IMO making it not worth the time or money to convert..........

Old 01-16-2007, 03:37 PM
billygoat
Mountain Pass
I understand that the actual mirror facing is probably the same on both, however, I do like the added convex mirror on the tow mirrors. It makes it a little easier to see items that are low and right next to the car.

I would think there would be a difference when towing a trailer as well, if you extend the mirrors out. I do tow once in a while.....

Old 01-16-2007, 10:39 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
ooops, posted twice by mistake

Last edited by afreemanmd; 01-16-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:54 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
Ok, last post about this I promise (unless you have any questions or anything.)

First off, I found this posted by RACERX7775 and I thought it might help:
Originally Posted by RACERX7775
my X came with the paddle mirrors with power heat and signals. when i switched to the tow mirrors with power and heat (the ones in my gallery pics), i lost the signals. then when i got the new signal mirrors, all the wiring was already there except fot the running light part. all i did for that was tap into the blue wire which is on the power door lock switch. thats the one that lights the lock switch. that way, no wiring through the doors.
"

Second of all, having gone from the non-tow mirrors to the tow mirrors myself, I can tell you that there is a real improvement in rearward vision, especially when towing. (I tow a 7x16 enclosed, and it was always scary with the non-tow mirrors.) The fish-eye lenses at the bottom are really helpful, and the bigger main mirrors offer better vision too. Definitely worth the change.

In my honest opinion, the hardest part is actually getting to all the connectors and bolts (like taking the door panel off/ speaker out) If you have the mechanical knowledge to do that, you can certainly do the electrical splicing. I understand the hesitance to cut into the stock wiring harness, but you shouldn't have to. What I did was sacrifice the harness from the old mirror, and butted that to the new mirror's wires. That way, the stock harness is still in tact. I believe the wires are all color-coded, and If not, it would be easy to find the right ones with a multi-meter.

If you want the tow mirrors, I say go for it. Who, knows, you might even luck out and the connectors might fit fine. But by the time you have the door off and can see, its a 5 minute deal to splice them. I don't do a lot of electrical mods on my truck, but this one i felt comfortable doing. and its not exposed to the weather either, so the connections don't have to be watertight. Its looking like you will have to run a wire to the parking light circuit for the running lights though, but even thats just a matter of snaking a wire through the door.

Ok, im done. I hope that I didn't offend you in any way, I just really like the tow mirrors and am sure you will too, and I don't want you to shy away just because an adapter might not be availavle. It is totally easy and worth all the extra effort! and its a common mod, so tons of people are here to support you!

Isaac

Old 01-17-2007, 01:02 AM
billygoat
Mountain Pass
none offense taken....I appreciate all the input!!

Old 01-17-2007, 08:10 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
I have an 01 with the round style connectors. It had signal, heat and power. I changed to a new one with heat and power. The new ones had 2 rectangular connectors. There was also an adapter that plugged in and made it all work that came in the box with the mirror I ordered from Ford.