North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

OCT NOV DEC BS THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 11:45 PM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
OCT NOV DEC BS THREAD

I guess we totally skipped July August September!

Old 10-07-2022, 02:37 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,089 Likes on 1,782 Posts
I guess with the shows going on and people being able to meet in person there was not much BSing going on
Dave ----

Old 10-08-2022, 01:45 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Speaking of BS'ing. Mike V brought his GTO to my house yesterday to have me help clean up some of the wiring under the hood. Andre and his grandson stopped over when he heard this was the happenin' place. Meanwhile, Dave A came over because he wanted to grab some flyers from me. While he was there Andre started in on him, and guilted him into going up to Dunkin Donuts to get coffee and donuts for everybody!

When you see Dave A tomorrow, act surprised and say "I thought you were bringing donuts and coffee for everyone!"

Old 10-09-2022, 11:45 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
sorry to say I did not see this till today as that would have been great.
I did not know you guys were hanging out Friday? or I would have stopped by. When you start at midnight and put in 12+ hours I could have been there about 1 pm.

As for the show at the church when I was sitting at the light at cross roads to turn left Dick was coming from the right.
a car or 2 where between us, dont think he knew I was back there, and followed him in.
At that point the car was running pretty good going 60 MPH.

When we got talking he said after all that work of replacing the fuel line, cleaning the tank out and removing the tank filters, not easy from what I hear.
It turned out to be the fuel filter between the pump & carb, it would not let fuel flow as needed.
He said it was one of them take apart glass type filters. I heard the glass breaks and gas goes all over and a fire starts so I will never run one. I even threw one a way never used it because of the fire thing.

There was 5 of us counting me from the club. Besides who you said Cory was there with his Mustang.
I sent you pictures of the members cars the rest where your normal show cars that you see at all shows.

What I thought was cool and he came up to me as we met at a cars & coffee once.
A guy had a roadster that was a mix of 29 to 32 styling (fiber glass body) but what I thought was really cool it was on a Nissan pick up truck frame and running gear from motor to rear axle. At first I thought it was running a Iron Duke 4 cly motor then he told me what it was running duel plugs (2 per hole) and a 5 speed trans.
He just bought it and did a little work to get on the road but has plans over winter to make changes and clean it up.

I gave him a flyer for our show next weekend and hope he can make it and maybe become a member.
I also talked to some at the Mt Olive show last weekend and hope they will show and become members.
I dont work it like Andre, he is in a class all by him self

I thought the church show got out eary and went by the school and you would never know there was a show as there was not a sole around
So on the way home I stopped for lunch a Hardies as I wanted a burger ....... I know there is better burgers but MickyD is not it and 55 is not open yet LOL
Dave ----

Old 10-09-2022, 02:37 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner

Dave ----

Old 10-10-2022, 04:25 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah wish you had popped over. It just kinda ballooned. From the show last week, Mike called me when he got home and asked me to come over. It turned out his carbon canister was completely soaked with gas. From when he backed up the slope at the American Legion show, I guess his check valve wasn't working or maybe has been removed in the past, but at any rate it filled up with gas when his rear end was higher than the front. So I removed it for him and blocked off the vent tube, and while we were under the hood he pointed out a few other things he didn't like that the previous owner had done, like the jury rigged wiring for his vacuum pump. So I told him I would help him clean that up and he made plans to come over on Friday for that. But he had added so much to his to-do list that it took us 6 hours (by US I mean ME lol). Then when Andre found out we were working on something, he came over, and of course Dave A's visit was unrelated and just wanted some of those fold-out flyers. But Andre had him all twisted up and making a donut and coffee run for us, which was welcome refreshment for me.

Wayne and Andre told me the turnout at the school was very low, I think they said it was maybe 20 vehicles. The kids did the judging, so a VW that was covered in stickers won Best In Show. They really weren't impressed with the way the show was run.

Speaking of Andre yes he is in a class by himself, I wonder if I need to pull him aside and remind him that inviting people is ok but putting the hard sell and pressuring them isn't! lol

That was a neat hot rod. My father in law had one of those Nissan's from the 80's that had 2 plugs per cylinder. I don't how long they did that, seemed like an experiment that they abandoned after a few years. It looks like a great donor setup for a roadster.

On another note, I went to Andre's yesterday and helped to tune up the Mazda. He said previously, he pulled out into the road and gunned it and it felt gutless. So he cut the mufflers off completely, then went down the street again, and said the difference was "night and day". So he is sure the mufflers were choking off the power from the 302. Then when I came over I set the timing, it is hard to see because the alternator blocks the view, but I would say it was probably 8 degrees less than it should be. I set it on 10 which is what I found was the factory recommended settings for that motor in 1984, and it immediately smoothed out the idle and completely solved the off-idle-stumble it had. I measured 15 inches HG and then after adjusting one side of carb, it went to 17, so I went to the other side to even it out but suddenly the truck just died and would not restart. Wayne checked the coil voltage and it showed power, but when he pulled off the coil plug wire to check for spark, the boot was full of oil. It looks like the coil is leaking, and we could not get any spark from it. So I guess a bad coil, which was new. Edelbrock brand which was just purchased at the O'Reilly's near your house. Hopefully a new coil tomorrow will have it up and running again and I can finish trying to tune it up to start and run better.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:47 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
You were a busy man see what happens when you are good LOL

On the coil you have to watch how they are mounted as the oil keeps it cool. If it was on its side maybe mount the new one up right.

On the show if only 20 cars no wonder why I did not see any thing. The last school show i was at the kids also did the judging and did not know what they wete looking at.
Dave ----

Old 10-11-2022, 09:26 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
You were a busy man see what happens when you are good LOL

On the coil you have to watch how they are mounted as the oil keeps it cool. If it was on its side maybe mount the new one up right.

On the show if only 20 cars no wonder why I did not see any thing. The last school show i was at the kids also did the judging and did not know what they wete looking at.
Dave ----
Well you may not know this, but Andre is a sticker man.

Here in this picture, he has added 2 stickers already. Since then, he has added a 3rd.

So Wayne told him "I got a whole box of stickers at home, I'll bring them to you. You can just start on the side of the truck and build your way up. Cover it with stickers and give that VW a run for the money next year"

Old 10-11-2022, 12:53 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
That is funny but true.
He has to be told stickers are for tool boxes and garage refrigerators.
Thing is I don't think I have any stickers on either..
Dave ----

Old 10-27-2022, 02:27 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Hope everyone is ok been pretty quiet in here.

Other than taking the truck out for the weekly trash runs and then a show I have not driven it much.
Only because bugs like to end their life on the front and windshield and I have not had the time to wash it so it's been parked to keep it some what clean.
Dave ----

Old 10-27-2022, 04:27 PM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
My wife had surgery a week ago and is not recovering well. It was a lot more invasive than the previous hernia surgery and on top of that, she developed a cold and every time she coughs it feels like she is ripping stitches. Needless to say we had to cancel our trip to Myrtle Beach so we're home. I have not been able to do much this week, but on Wednesday I went to Andre's and helped tweak the little Mazda pickup. The timing was way off (according to my light, it was on 10 BTDC but when I put Wayne's light on it, it was at 20! No wonder if ran like ****. Backed it down to 10 and runs like a top. We went for 3 test drives, the first 2 were 5 miles each and the last one was 25 mile round trip (from his house to Wayne's to drop off the timing light and back). Ran great the whole way, runs about 165 degrees while driving and goes up to 170-ish while idling, but never got hot. And everything works! Can even roast the tires which he is pleased with. However still no title - but he may bring it to the trunk or treat cruise in on Saturday evening, just using a difference license plate. lol

Old 10-28-2022, 07:39 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Sorry to hear about your wife.
After my surgery I have a better under standing of recovery and how ruff it can be.
Hope she is over the hump and feeling better now.

Good to hear Andre;s little Mazda is running good.
Would be nice to see it Saturday evening.
What is the deal with the title, the other guy lost it or just has not handed it over yet?
The first real drive of my PU, Apex and back, was with a different plate also.
Before that around the block it was plate less LOL

Wife said she picked up candy today.
Told Logan my grandson will be there think we are doing dinner before at least that is the plan.
BTW what time dose it start?
Dave ----

Old 10-28-2022, 10:54 PM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
My friend that I got the truck from lived in Angier, but his landlord didn't renew and wanted his family out so they can remodel and sell the house. So everything got packed up in boxes and put into storage in Angier. Then he moved into a camper in Lenoir 3 hours away. He did come back to Angier at least once and try going through boxes in the storage to find the title but he never did. We could go to the DMV together with the old registration and say "he's the seller I'm the buyer the title is lost" and deal with it that way, but he had water pump problems on his vehicle and was stuck up there in Lenoir for a month. Now lately it seems like he is ducking me, not responding to texts or messages or phone calls.

The trunk or treat starts at 5pm. I still have plenty of candy left from the show last week so I don't need to buy any more. I told my daughter Rachel and she said she will bring my grandson Harrison out for it. I don't know who all else is planning to come out but I imagine there should be a few of us showing up.

Old 10-29-2022, 06:45 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
I hope after all that work Andre put into the truck he can get a plate for it as it would suck other wise

5pm it is
I told Mary if we were going to have dinner would need to get there early and she was thinking 5pm before the rush but now thinking before then?
Dave ----

Old 10-29-2022, 10:04 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
I was just planning to get there at 5 and set my candy out in the pumpkin bucket and then hang out and / or eat whenever the rest of the group does. Or if my daughter wanted to eat when she gets there. I guess I really have no specific plans! lol

Quick Reply: OCT NOV DEC BS THREAD