1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Source for 292 V8 Parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-1999, 03:49 PM
Bill Johnson
Source for 292 V8 Parts

Hey gang,

I just picked up a nice old '59 F-100 with a 292 V8 (I think it's referred to as a Y-Block, right?) and I'm having trouble locating stock and/or custom parts for it.

For example, the truck has exhaust leaks and rather than fix the stock configuration, I was thinking of putting a set of headers on it. Only one problem, I can't find anyone who makes a set for the 292. Any ideas?

I'm not looking to totally trick the truck out. I want to keep it basically stock, so I'm also in the market for a few stock parts as well. Things like clutch kits, etc.

And one last thing, the previous owner put an aftermarket intake manifold with 3 single-barrel Ford carburators on it. I think that the throat openings are 2 1/2". Anyone know where I can get a set of air cleaners for such a beast?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I'm excited to have a "project" and I look forward to "chatting" with everyone.

Best regards,

Bill

Old 07-07-1999, 12:03 PM
58f100
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Source for 292 V8 Parts

Well Bill I own 2, a 58 f100 with a 272 that I'm just getting ready to start after total rebuild and highly recommend Kanters or Concours parts, but you need to go to Y-Block sitehttp://www.members.aol.com/Yblock/YBLOCK.htm close as I can come to address, headers can be found at www.reds-headers.com/ The yblock site is very,very helpful and Kanters sells whole engine rebuild kits,save a lot since I had to buy individual parts for 272,lotsa money! concours has a pickup catolog with many hard to get parts and Ithinke its called JOHNS F-FUNHUNDREDS sell only 57-60 ford pick up parts. these are only the beginning of suppliers, theres also Sacremento vintage parts, do get custom classic pick up mag at news stand,thats where I found many of these vendors, You'll find its hard to get parts for these year trucks. But do somehow get on Y-BLOCK vehicle site,Lou and Y-BLOCKER and many others are very knowledgeable on this site,they are also ones who helped me a great deal. Garry PS Dennis Carpenter reproductions has a site that has many repro parts and good quality you can trust.

Old 07-07-1999, 05:34 PM
Bill
Junior User
Source for 292 V8 Parts

Thanks a lot for your response. This will help a lot. I knew about Dennis Carpenter, I have his catalog, but was unaware of the rest.

Again, thanks a lot and Happy Trucking!!

Bill

Old 12-31-1999, 02:43 PM
slickh
Source for 292 V8 Parts

i was looking around on the net one day and seen your message about the old y-block engine.shortly after that i found this web site.i didnt check it out to know if its what your looking for but here it is <a href="http://members.aol.com/YBLOCK/yblockvendors.htm">http://members.aol.com/YBLOCK/yblockvendors.htm</a>

Old 12-31-1999, 05:57 PM
Greg
Freshman User
Source for 292 V8 Parts