Flash Point Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:41 AM
newr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flash Point Question

Greetings
I just read an article that listed the relative flash point tempratures of conventional gasoline, 40deg.F, #2 diesel, 125deg.F, and bio-diesel at nearly 300 deg F.
This created more qustions for me so I thought I would throw them out to see what you all know on the subject.
Does the higher flash point create starting problems?
Has anybody gone so far as to install intank heaters and then insulate lines to the engine? A pre-heat process? If so what changes, if any, did you make to the injectors or IP?
I realise that the fuel is all bio-degradable, but with the high flash point has anybody tested exhaust gasses to know anything about efficiency?

Old 01-14-2007, 10:05 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by newr
Greetings
I just read an article that listed the relative flash point tempratures of conventional gasoline, 40deg.F, #2 diesel, 125deg.F, and bio-diesel at nearly 300 deg F.
This created more qustions for me so I thought I would throw them out to see what you all know on the subject.
Does the higher flash point create starting problems?
Has anybody gone so far as to install intank heaters and then insulate lines to the engine? A pre-heat process? If so what changes, if any, did you make to the injectors or IP?
I realise that the fuel is all bio-degradable, but with the high flash point has anybody tested exhaust gasses to know anything about efficiency?
With a Diesel engin it the Autoignition temperature that lights the fuel. The stange thing about gasoilne is that it has a lower flash point than Diesel but a higher Autoignition temperature.

Petrol:
Flash point: >-45 °C (-49 °F)
Autoignition temperature: 246 °C (475 °F)
Diesel:
Flash point: >62 °C (144 °F)
Autoignition temperature: 210 °C (410 °F)

I can not find a autoignition tempweature for Biodiesel or WVO.

I forgot to switch my truck back to Diesel on shutdown when we were up on Mt. Hood playing in the snow and it started like normal on WVO @ 20 F.