Delaware Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: pbsdaddy

Never Fear, Argo's Here!b

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Argo
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never Fear, Argo's Here!

Well, in May 2006, the Argo began to call Delaware it's home port. Delaware and I and my truck (the Argo, hence my user name) have a long history. Way back in 1988 (8th grade) I became friends with a guy named Al Graeber III (we used to call thim Al Graeber the "turd"). His father, Al Graeber Junior, ran a Speed Shop called Al Graeber's Speedway Engineering, and he had sucessfully campaigned a Dodge Charger Funny Car in the late 60's/early 70's. Needless to say, "little Al" raced 1/4 midgets at Airport Speedway, and I used to tag along from time to time. Back in 1992, I graduated from Springfield High School in Delaware Couny PA, and Folcroft Vo-Tech, also in Delco (What Delaware County folks refer to their county as), and I began attending school at Del-Tech in the General Motors A.S.E.P. program. During all of this, the Argo was partially still in the ground, as Iron Ore, partly scrap steel from the Battleship South Dakota (no I can't prove it, but you can't disprove it either ), and part UPS truck. I graduated from Del-Tech in 1994, and kept in touch with a few of my classmates through the years. Who went to work for Del-DOT (more on tha later). I worked in a few GM Dealerships, bought a GMC Sonoma (and learned why GMC stands for "God's Mechanical Curse"),and got disgusted with the miserable little clunker. I worked at Luke Oldsmobile at the time (my most positive dealership experience, a fantastic place to work!), and the service writer was friendly with a salesman at Robin Ford. So he told me to go talk to the guy, and I looked at the Argo then, when she was brand new. But the price was too steep. I passed on the deal. Well, about 2 mos. later, the Argo appeared on our used car lot at Luke's (and the GMC blew it's head gasket at 38,000 miles, and GM told me it was my baby now). The used car manager let me drive it (I knew it was the same truck because it looked familiar, and I wrote the VIN for every truck I looked at down, and it was her!), and I loved it so much, I bought it (no way I'd let her go again!). I traded the GMC for the Ford, and was happy. Seems the owner (a life long Olds owner) had bought it during a mid life crisis, and he had to have a truck. But he bought a heavy duty 1/2 ton with monster springs and heavy duty shocks, and he didn't like the ride. So he traded it for a Bravada. Unfortunately, Luke Oldsmobile died a corporate death, assasanated by GM for being too small, (GM was on a kick to reduce it's number of dealers to 2,000 by the year 2000). I went to work at a few other places, but I wasn't happy. So I talked to my friends from school (the guys who worked at DelDOT) and I got hired there in 1998. I worked there from 1998-2003, through a major blizzard, Hurricane Floyd, and countless ice storms and snowstorms. I left there to teach automotive technology at Lincoln Tech. Then I met my wife, who is from Sussex County (Bridgeville). I always loved downstate Delaware, and I found out that her family has a farm. I have spent many a day working the fields since then, and I found that farm life agrees with me. We went to the Franklin Institute for our first date (Jan 7, 2004), and Dave and Buster's for dinner/fun and games. We hit it off in a great way, and we dated for a year. Then on our one year anniversary (Jan 7, 2005), while recreating our first date, I proposed to her in the train exibit at the Franklin Institute on Baldwin Locomotive No. 60000 (the last place she'd expect it!). She said yes, and we got married this past May (May 20, 2006). We plan to move downstate, if I can find an automotive teaching job there (I'd love to get into Sussex Tech, but I'd even be glad to get into New Castle County Vo-Tech, because i could then live in Kent County, and commute to work). I am very happy at Lincoln Tech, they treat me well and it is very rewarding work, but I want to get away from the City of Philadelphia, the Wage Tax, and all that crap. I want to live in the country. So, anyway, that's about it, this is who I am. I like racing (not NASCAR, isn't that ironic?) and I can't stand Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey. (YES, I am straight). I enjoy science and technology, and I am a Bible believing Christian (relax, I'm not going to get preachy on ya, I know the rules about religious discussion). I love Delaware, and can say honestly, I am proud to call it home.

So about the name Argo. Where did it come from, and why did I name my truck Argo? I will freely admit that I swiped the name of my favorite ship from an Anime Sci/Fi show I used to watch growing up, the Argo from Star Blazers. Also known as "SpaceCruiser Yamato" outside of the US. I have a history of naming my vehicles with a nautical theme, and my Oldsmobile is named the Black Pearl. My lame little GMC started out as Ertl (just like the real thing, only smaller), but ended up being re-christened "The Latrine". My first car (a beat up Olds 98, not the nice one I have now) was called the Valdez, because of the time I ran over a spare tire on the road and knocked off the oil filter, and left a 7 qt. streak of 15W40 (it was a Diesel) on the highway. My absolute first car was a 1969 Pontiac LeMans, which never saw the street, because the frame was rotted, and I was 13. But I did learn how to do brakes on that car, and why straight water isn't good in the winter (cracked the block in half). Her name was "That damn piece of crap", given by my father.

Last edited by Argo; 01-13-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:29 PM
savage2211
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the DE Chapter....

Old 01-13-2007, 10:30 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
Dave we are glad you chose Delaware to call home.

Welcome to the Delaware Chapter, your new home on FTE.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:06 PM
toadx8u
Senior User
dave i graduated from tech in 98 and still have some close ties with the teachers...and my roomate here at my house his dad is the auto body teacher ill see what i can find out about any postions coming available for u

Old 01-14-2007, 05:00 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Ok Dave now I am curious, you have to post a pic of Argo in our Eye Candy thread.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Argo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by glruff
Ok Dave now I am curious, you have to post a pic of Argo in our Eye Candy thread.
Original Argo, my Argo, or Both?

Old 01-14-2007, 07:23 AM
savage2211
Post Fiend
Your Argo.....I want to see it to.........

Old 01-14-2007, 07:23 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Yes to all.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:10 AM
toadx8u
Senior User
i wanna see too...make sure u post here... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...eye-candy.html

Old 01-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Argo
Posting Guru
I'll see what I can do. I'll have to fire up the ol' digital camera and snap off a few shots and post them. I'll also include a picture or two of her "namesake". I'll try and get to it this week.