6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

More Diesel woes for Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:14 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gotta love that V10 price tag......$600

IH go belly up, not a chance. think of all the trucks sold to contractors, construction companies, freight hauler........ford is a drop in a 5000 gallon tank, not to mention the farm industry........

with a C-7 CAT and a Cummins option availible for the F550 and up, ford would have to revert to one of them to take over where IH left off. i see one day the Fseries Super duties becoming like the 18 wheelers.........same truck name diferent engine options, just like if you want a kenworth with a CAT, or a Cummins, or an IH ect......some day ford will be the same.

but hey what do i know, i'm not sitting in the head office at ford motor co. i just know i've stayed away from diesels till now, and will continue for a while. plus i couldn't justify the extra $ for the PSD given what and when i tow my truck and trailer!

maybe if ford hadn't RUSHED NAV/IH they wouldn't have been in this perdicament...........there's always 2 sides to a dispute!

Old 01-14-2007, 01:04 PM
mattebury
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a quick answer to the questions of MSRP and invoice for the engine and transmission.

MSRP Invoice
6.4L 6,545 5,432
Tranny 1,490 1,237

Old 01-14-2007, 01:08 PM
mattebury
Senior User
Wow did the formatting ever change between what I typed and what was posted.

Let's try that again for readability!

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 144pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=192 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" span=3 width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64 height=17></TD><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64>
MSRP

</TD><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64>
Invoice

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>6.4L</TD><TD class=xl23 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num="6545">$6,545 </TD><TD class=xl23 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num="5432">$5,432 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Tranny</TD><TD class=xl23 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num="1490">$1,490 </TD><TD class=xl23 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num="1237">$1,237 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 01-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
75% of the engines Navistar makes are sold to Ford.
so I read

Originally Posted by TeamMudd

IH go belly up, not a chance. think of all the trucks sold to contractors, construction companies, freight hauler........ford is a drop in a 5000 gallon tank, not to mention the farm industry........

with a C-7 CAT and a Cummins option availible for the F550 and up, ford would have to revert to one of them to take over where IH left off. i see one day the Fseries Super duties becoming like the 18 wheelers.........same truck name diferent engine options, just like if you want a kenworth with a CAT, or a Cummins, or an IH ect......some day ford will be the same.

but hey what do i know, i'm not sitting in the head office at ford motor co. i just know i've stayed away from diesels till now, and will continue for a while. plus i couldn't justify the extra $ for the PSD given what and when i tow my truck and trailer!

maybe if ford hadn't RUSHED NAV/IH they wouldn't have been in this perdicament...........there's always 2 sides to a dispute!

Old 01-14-2007, 04:22 PM
SuperDutyJ4500
Elder User
Think about this, if Ford were that small of business for IH, do you think they would have stayed with them for so long?

I agree with Percy about the 75% thing. The bigger trucks have CAT and all that.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:25 PM
DD1684
Elder User
I think this will all blow over. Ford will probably cave because there's a lot on the line here. You won't see a Cummins in a Super Duty. Dodge already has the exclusive contract to put it in their pickups. CAT? I doubt it. I personally believe Ford and Navistar will be together for awhile. Just a small bump in the road.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:55 PM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
On a slightly less serious note, can you imagine the panic of the messenger who had to deliver those papers?

i agree with DD1684. Ford is pretty much stuck but I'm sure they have a nice page or two directly covering a breach of contract. Probably something along the lines of Navistar providing engines till a "suitable" replacement is found. Which could be 10 years of R & D for some company besides the actual production time. And I'm sure Nav. has their own paperwork backup as well.

I know that as my prices go up so do those of my customers. Everyone knows it and expects it because it's unavoidable when doing business.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:00 PM
THE KING
At this point im not worried about IH, They are a huge company. Right now im worried about how much HP and torque that cat motor would make in the superduty chassis. If they dont do that...... Where can i find one of those motors? LOL! Can u say one bad pulling truck.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
Old 01-14-2007, 06:29 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've said this quite a bit on the forums, but with Ford using the CGI landrover designed diesels in the f150/expedition in the coming years and this dispute between the two I wouldn't be suprised to see Ford have an in-house larger displacement CGI diesel for the superduties, and maybe even use the f150 version as a "light duty" diesel option in the superduties. Of course this is just speculation..

Old 01-14-2007, 09:33 PM
1968gtcs
Senior User
Originally Posted by TeamMudd

I think you mean "F650" and up not "F550" and up.
If they afford a CAT in the F550 I'd be buying one of those rather than the 450 p/u

Old 01-14-2007, 10:27 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
"IH go belly up, not a chance. think of all the trucks sold to contractors, construction companies, freight hauler........ford is a drop in a 5000 gallon tank, not to mention the farm industry........"

"IH go belly up"? Been there, done that already. Farm industry? International Harvester nearly died over 20 years ago, to avoid bankruptcy they sold off the farm equipment division and the "IH" brand name and logo, the remaining truck and engine business lived on and adopted the name "Navistar International".

Old 01-14-2007, 10:54 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
The "IH" in the farm industry is still alive and well today. It merged with J.I. Case company to form Case IH. We still make some of the same products that IH made then just improved as time has gone on. I am a service Rep for them in Oregon. Jeff

Old 01-14-2007, 10:55 PM
rimshoes
Senior User
re

Now that Ford and Navistar have entered into the court system, I think you all need to see the bigger picture. In 2004, Ford told Navistar to take thier V6 diesel designed for the F150 and shelve it. They gave up money for the contractrual commmitments for R&D and that was it. The engine has apparently shown up in the european markets from what I understand, yet not in the F150 or Expeditions.

So, even though Ford has a contract with Navistar, they can and will find a way to stop payment. I have delt with Ford and have always felt they could give a crap about the consumer. Ford is in serious trouble already and thier vehicles are still marked by the consumer advocates as crap. The F250 turbo diesel is one of the worst as is the Expedition and I own both !!

It would not be all that impossible for Ford to give up the diesel market. Ford may well be seeing the writing on the wall for expenses that our Federal Government has imposed. IT WOULD NOT BE THE FIRST TIME !!!

Of course this would be a travisty. I really do like the trucks, although I think the new one should be sold at the Chrysler dealer.

I hold NO loyalty for ANY big corporation, they do likewise with me.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Ry_Trapp0
Junior User
Originally Posted by rimshoes
The F250 turbo diesel is one of the worst...
not sure what youve been reading, but every comparison i read says that the superduty is the best of the big 3(and only major) manufacturers of 3/4-1 tons.

Quick Reply: More Diesel woes for Ford?