1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Titan fuel tank versus TransferFlow tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:34 AM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Titan fuel tank versus TransferFlow tank

Has anyone installed the Titan replacement fuel tank for the F250/350?

Their short bed option is 52 gallons, as opposed to TransferFlow's 46 gallon option. On the road, that would equal roughly about 100 miles more. But even with TransferFlow's extra 17 gallons over stock OEM tank, that's roughly an extra 250 miles cruising.

It looks like TransferFlow's tank hangs about flush at the bottom with the frame and has a skid plate, so better protected?

Titan's looks like it hangs down further, and they have a "high-impact rock shield", whatever that is.

Thanks in advance,
TX

Old 01-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Gunner15a
Elder User
Kinda curious about this myself........I have a 35 gallon tank in my truck, but sure would like a 50............

Gunner15a

Old 01-12-2007, 04:16 PM
suzuki0702
Elder User
i also am curious...i hate having to fill up every week..let us in on the site you can get them off of. thanks in advance!

Old 01-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Blue Dog
Junior User
I had contacted the TransferFlow company via e-mail and asked if I needed to discard the factory skid plate under the gas tank on the 2004 Ford F-250 Supercab shortbed 4x4. They said yes and they addressed my concern about losing the protection with the skid plate. They said the tank's bottom is an very thick gauge sheetmetal...better than the skidplates. It should stand up to the beating it will take under the truck.
Titan's tanks are not metal as TransferFlow's, but it does have an "High Impact rock shield". I am not sure what it is, but the tank itself is made of polymer plastic composite? I am not sure if that would make it an better product than the other company's? Comments?

Old 01-13-2007, 07:02 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
IMO go with TFF...I am very happy with mine.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:04 AM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also went with the transferflow. It is much beefier than the stock tank and after seeing it and picking it up (with a fork lift), I was not worried about discarding the skid plates. Besides mine does not stick down as far as other components so it would be difficult for it to take a hard hit. Don't know anything about the Titan but I am happy with the TF.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:34 AM
mizzitch
Elder User
Which, if any FTE supporting vendors sell these?

Old 01-13-2007, 10:12 AM
LAKELANDTRAILER
New User
Originally Posted by TXHillCountry

Their short bed option is 52 gallons, as opposed to TransferFlow's 46 gallon option. On the road, that would equal roughly about 100 miles more. But even with TransferFlow's extra 17 gallons over stock OEM tank, that's roughly an extra 250 miles cruising.

It looks like TransferFlow's tank hangs about flush at the bottom with the frame and has a skid plate, so better protected?

Titan's looks like it hangs down further, and they have a "high-impact rock shield", whatever that is.

Thanks in advance,
TX
What about the 55 gallon replacement tank from Aerotanks? I was about to order one for $647. They said DOT approved, any reason I should not buy this one since it has the biggest tank?

Old 01-13-2007, 10:33 AM
how2fish
Senior User
Originally Posted by TXHillCountry

Thanks in advance,
TX
I installed a tank that was made by Elite-tanks. But they look very, very similar to the Titan. Here are some picks of it installed.

The High-impact rock shield is a sheet metal basket, for lack of a better word. That holds the tank up in the truck. It is extremely strong not to mention that I now have two layers of protection (the rock shield+the polyethylene tank).

I have a 04 short bed PSD and went from 29 gallons to 58!!!!

Old 01-13-2007, 10:40 AM
LAKELANDTRAILER
New User
Originally Posted by how2fish
I installed a tank that was made by Elite-tanks. But they look very, very similar to the Titan. Here are some picks of it installed.

The High-impact rock shield is a sheet metal basket, for lack of a better word. That holds the tank up in the truck. It is extremely strong not to mention that I now have two layers of protection (the rock shield+the polyethylene tank).

Wow that looks very nice. What do you pay for it and where did you buy it from? That is the biggest tank I have seen yet. What are you getting on a tank if you are not towing and on the highway? 1000 miles?

Old 01-13-2007, 11:23 AM
shdwlkr
Senior User
how2fish
I would like to know where you can get that tank also looks great on your truck. That would make my trips to SLC so much nicer not having to stop at all unless I wanted to. I could also pick better whent to buy fuel.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:52 PM
how2fish
Senior User
Originally Posted by LAKELANDTRAILER
Wow that looks very nice. What do you pay for it and where did you buy it from? That is the biggest tank I have seen yet. What are you getting on a tank if you are not towing and on the highway? 1000 miles?
Thanks for the comments.

I bought the tank at a dealership in San Diego (mossy Ford). The tank was $999 and the I had them install it for $231. It only took them 3 trips for them to figure out how to do it :/ They sure aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but it is done.

My low fuel light comes on and I still have 17 gallons left in the tank. So there is PLENTY of time to look for a diesel station.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:59 PM
LAKELANDTRAILER
New User
Does ELite have a website? I can not find any info on the web about them. I live in Florida so mossy ford is out of the question. Thanks for the info. Mike

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-14-2007 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:17 AM
cc1999
Junior User
Originally Posted by how2fish

I like the one you are running the best out of what I have seen. Its got the highest capacity and it looks like its as flush inside the frame as any out there. From looking at your pic's I can't see it at all from the profile pics of the truck. And thats what I want if I go replacement tank instead of transfer tank.

Now the only problem is those links on your original thread are no longer working, to get to the mfg of the Elite tanks. I am wanting to see what it takes to buy one now at 2007 prices. Please help with where to buy info if you can. Thank You.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 AM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Question

You're right. That's a nice setup.

But like you said, the www.elite-truck.com website no longer works.

Any sources for that 58 gallon tank?

tnx,
TX

Quick Reply: Titan fuel tank versus TransferFlow tank