New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

Westminster Kennel Club

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:58 AM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Westminster Kennel Club

Well It's a new year and the Westminster Kennel Club is gearing up for it's annual dog show at Madison Square Garden on February 12-13

A few interesting facts.

WKC (Westminster Kennel Club) was the first member club of the AKC (American Kennel Club)

WKC is one of the few clubs that holds a "Benched" show.
Bench show: A dog show at which the dogs are kept on assigned benches when not being shown in competition so that interested people can view and learn more about them.

This is the 131th WKC dog show.

The WKC is the ONLY "Champions Only" Dog show.

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...show/info.html

Well you guys may or may not care about those facts. I only mention them because it is fresh on my mind as my wife will be at the WKC this year. She was there many many years ago as a junior handler and now has the opportunity to go back and assist her good friend and mentor with the Saint Bernard she is showing.
She hopes to hob *** with the best of the best in the handler world and maybe get some pointers from the professionals.
There is a very very VERY slim possibility she could be on television but we are not holding our breath at this point. Hopefully sometime in the future she will have the opportunity to go back and be the handler and not the assistant but only time will tell.

Thought I would just pass it along since it's in your guys neck of the woods. I have never been to WKC but have been to many many dog shows and if you have never seen all those dogs up close and personal it might be worth a trip.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:31 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Even though no responses the first time I will post an update

My wife's good friend and mentor was able to get one her clients entered. A loveable St Bernard named Riley. My wife's friend asked her if she would be willing to come to New York (Expenses paid by the client) to assist her with Riley. Client agreed and off they went. She has been in New York partying and getting drunk for the last few days but this morning it was do or die, the Breed Ring! They got Riley up and groomed and Lo and Behold RILEY WON THE BREED meaning he gets to go on to the group judging (which is what is always on television). SO my wife will not be in the ring showing a dog she will be ringside helping and cheering for Riley. I hope to catch a glimpse of the wife on TV.

SO if you find yourself with nothing better to do at 8pm/7central your time flip onto the USA channel and cheer on Riley. St Bernards are part of the "Working" Group and they are up first. He will be the ONLY St Bernard in the ring as Groups is one of each dog in that group.

It is a special show in that Riley is retiring. He has been a top winning St Bernard for some time now and is ready to take it easy. Big dogs are VERY VERY hard on their bodies. The lady on the end of the leash will be my wife's good friend and Mentor Kim Tucker. She is also retiring from showing dogs and is moving into judging.

Photo of Ch Subiras Riley "Riley" winning the breed this morning.

video of the breed judging this morning. Riley is #5 he is the first dog in the line.
http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...eo=work|stbern
Scroll down to you get to St Bernard

I'm so happy for my wife to get to be a part of this. If anyone knew my wife and knew that at the age of 31 she has been showing dogs for 25 years you too would know how much this means to her.

Even though she was not the handler this time, she was as a child and will be again as an adult someday. She would probably kill me for missing her the first time I watched the video BUT at the very end of the video after the judge has handed out the ribbons Riley and the handler (Black skirt suit) are walking towards the center of the ring. My wife walks up to help her out. My wife has on a creme skirt suit, reddish brown hair and it is pulled back in a ponytail. She is only on there for a split second so if you blink you will miss her.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aaron - sorry that I reply sooner, but thinks have been nuts for me both on the work and home front. Do you have the video clip you can post? That is truly amazing what your wife has done.

BTW, Riley brings back some great memories of a friend of mine who had a St Bernard. Looked a lot like Riley too, but I can't remember what he name him. He had him at the ski slope and asked me if I could watch him for a moment while I was between lessons (I was the ski school director at the slope). I said sure and grabbed the leash while he goes into the lodge. Shortly after that his sister comes out of the lodge, jumps on her skis and heads for the lift. The dog doesn't see her or hear her until she is on the lift going up the hill. Then he takes off after her. I was still on my skis and realized there was no stopping him and I was on a ride going up hill after her. I am still amazed at how that dog pulled me up the ski slope. Great memory.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:17 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Hey no worries onthe replies. I know you folks in NY have been dealing with some weather. My waife was supposed to fly home Wed Feb 14 and she is STILL not home because of the weather. God willing whe will be home tonight though.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CAFordDude
Hey no worries onthe replies. I know you folks in NY have been dealing with some weather. My waife was supposed to fly home Wed Feb 14 and she is STILL not home because of the weather. God willing whe will be home tonight though.
Sorry to hear that Aaron. Hope she makes it in tonight. The weather here is clear, but cold. You are exactly right about the weather in NY as you can see from the other threads. Best to you and thanks for dropping in!!