Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Senior User

DonMckay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does the spedo work if you are being towed

Hi Guys.
I usually hang out in the old truck forum as the new ones don't have many problems.
We are thinking of getting a 07 expedition and I was wondering if the miles are put on the speedo when it is being towed, the reason is we want to use it as a tow vechicle behind our motorhome.
We plan on doing quite a bit of traveling and I was hopeing that the miles wouldn't add up when it was being towed.
Thanks for any replies.
Don

1950 merc M47 frame off and working on it
Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Post Fiend

captain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud of
That's an interesting question. I would think not because the speedo/odometer are all electronic now. You could always tow it around the block a few times to see what happens.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:30 PM
CO River Rat

Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
WOW......that'd be an awfully big dinghy!

Steve

Smokestone 2010 Fusion SE 3.0L for Wifey

"I used to be wishy-washy, but now I'm not sure"
Old 01-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Senior User

LEVEL10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
towing a 4x2? or a 4x4? if a 4x4 i would try to get a manual shift transfercase. (if it's even avalible) as flat towing a 4x4 is not recormended with any full time 4x4.

tow bar/flat towing a 4x4 or 4x2 or a rear wheel drive, one needs to disconnect the battery, leave a key in the ignition switch so the trans can be left in neutral and the front wheels allowed to turn and follow the tow vehicle.With a full time 4x4, one also needs to get under and disconect the drive shafts on top of the above. With a front wheel drive vehicle it's just put the front end on a tow dolly and strap it down.

The best way to tow a EX, or really any full time 4x4 would be putting it on a flat bed trailer so all the wheels are of the ground and all load removed from the drive train.esp. the auto trans. then you could also lock every thing up more safely .tolls would still be the same but peace of mind much more secure.

put some tought into this one as many people we see towing a car a round do so with out looking into the problems they cause them selfs down the line with drive line damage to the transmission, tranfercases and other items.

so if it was me i would also get a flatbed trailer and play super safe
Old 01-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
You are still putting miles on the vehicle while you are towing it. I would make sure to keep a log book with when you towed it so that when you go to sell it you can show the potential buyer that x and so number of miles were from towing.
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 01-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Senior User

DonMckay is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think we will trailer it, I would hate to wreck something on it.
Don

1950 merc M47 frame off and working on it
Old 01-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Junior User

SixPak is starting off with a positive reputation.
I could be wrong, so if someone knows better feel free to correct me.
I'm quite certain if you tow a vehicle with an auto transmission for an extended period of time, and at highway speeds, you will damage the transmission. this is due to the fact that the mechanism that ordinarily drives the fluid pump, which is coupled to the flywheel of the engine, would be stationary, ie, not pumping the trans fluid. that means whatever is spinning around in the tranny likely isn't getting sufficiently lubricated.

older cars (50's-60's models) had pumps tied to the output shaft as well as the input shaft which is why you could push start them, but such is no longer the case. if you plan to tow a car with an AT, it would be wise to keep speeds below 35 mph and the trips short, or remove the drive shaft(s).
Old 01-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Yes, that is correct as long as you are towing it with the driveshaft attached. Thats why you must disconnect the driveshaft when towing a auto
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 01-26-2007, 10:32 PM