2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:23 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 F-150

Well back on 12/02/06 I traded in my 2002 F-150 X-Cab Lariat FX4 for a new 2006 F-150 Screw XLT 4X4 w/Chome Pkg. Just thought I'd list my reviews of 1/2 trucks when test driving. With each vehicle I drove a new and a used model, to determine the quality of each from new to used. These were all 4X4, with the biggest engine available and crew cab models.

Nissan Titan Crew Cab- Test drove a new 2006 and a used 2005 with 17K miles. These trucks seemed to have the most get up and go of the 1/2 tons I drove. Too me though, all the bad points out weighed the power these trucks displayed. I couldn't stand the cheap material used on the interior and the flimsy sheet metal. These were automatic turn offs, as was the overall styling of the truck. Lastly I couldn't get past the the problems I've heard from owners regarding the Rear Diff.

Dodge Ram Quad Cab Hemi - Test drove a new 2006 and used 2004 with 24K miles. These trucks had some good get up and go, but clearly not the 345HP advertised. The 2006 seemed to ride kind of smooth in comparison to my 2002 F-150, but wasn't too much better, while the 2004 was extremely rough and bouncy. The 2004 had a few rattles and the interior material looked of higher quality than the Nissan, but it didn't look like it held up to wear and tear as well as the Titan. Now the transmission in the 2004 felt like it was already slipping and the small rear doors/cabin room sent me on to test the next truck. I just had my 3rd child in Sept., so I am needing the extra cabin space, which the Quad Cab only gave the kids slightly more room than my 02 F-150 X-Cab.

Toyota Tundra Double Cab - Test drove a 2006 and used 2005 with 12K miles. First impressions were I did not like the overall style, but the quality of material used was outstanding. This truck wasn't about to win any races or pulling contests, but it seemed applicable for most around town purposes. Cab ride was better than that of the Dodge or Nissan, but not nearly as nice as the 06 F-150 I purchased. Everything about this truck was plain, which is okay for me, but it didn't have anything to set it apart from the pack.

GMC Sierra Crew Cab - Test drove a new 2007, new 2006 and used 2003 with 32K miles. Now I avoided all Silverados, as I hate the look of both the 2007 and 2006/2003 models. The 2006 & 2003 each had good power to go, but the engine had to be rev'd way to high for my liking and the ride was better than my 02 F-150, but not as nice as the 06 F-150 I purchased. I disliked the 2WD look when the trucks were 4X4, and the interior still reminded me of the late 80's and 90's GM vehicles (cheap). You can tell GM has improved on their interior materials, but still not up to par with the interior of the F-150. Like many here, I couldn't stand the off-center On-Star antenna above the drivers seat. Now the 2007 model was a lot nicer than the 2006/2003, especially the styling. I like some of the key points they took from the SuperDuties, like the head light, hood and grille shapes/setup. Of course this truck had better get up than the 2006/2003, I'd guesstimate right around the Ram maybe slightly behind the Ram, but not as much as the Titan. The bulges on the front and rear fenders were a little too pronounced for my taste and again the 2007 had the Off-Center On-Star antenna. And like all GM trucks, the frame rails hung out underneath the body, which is a turn off. Also, the shape and alignment of the bed doesn't fit with the style of the rest of the truck. The interior of the 2007 looks better than the 2006/2003, but it didn't feel like it would hold up to the test of time. I had a 2006 Impala as a rental car when my 02 F-150 was being repaired after my accident in 08/06, and this Impala was crap!!! Flimsy interior material, extremely fake wood and thin seats with little support were my impressions of the Impala and new Sierra. Now the GMC's had the most creature comfort options, but that is not what sells me on a truck. I'd put the ride quality of this new GMC up there with the 06 F-150 I purchased, maybe even slightly better.

Ford F-150 Super Crew - 2006 and used 2005 with 18K miles. The styling was my favorite of all. Like all the trucks, it could have used bigger tires (not wheels/rims) but this was my only complaint on the exterior styling. Interior quality seemed to be higher than all the other trucks and buttons were logically laid out. This wasn't the fastest of the group, nor was it the slowest of the group, right around the 2007 GMC. The used F-150 rode better than all the other used trucks and the interior material still looked near new and seemed to hold up better. These trucks felt like they had the best down low gearing or power, while the others seemed to have their best power up high in the RPM's. My main issue with the F-150 is the antique 4-spd Auto Trans.

Of course these are just my opinions based on my test drives, so others may come to a different conclusions. Now the 2007 Tundra coming out may put all these trucks to shame, but currently on the market I believe the F-150 is the best 1/2 ton truck available. If you're about speed (Titan/Ram) or Features/Options (Sierra) your conclusion may be swayed one way or another. I just thought I'd provide my experience since I have just recently tried most available 1/2 tons on the market.

Last edited by V8EXPLR; 01-09-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:36 PM
mcrensha
Freshman User
I test drove everything when I bought mine last year as well. I had no loyalties whatsoever, I've only had foreign cars up until now and I'm not really a fan of most American autos but I bought the best truck that was on the market, which is exactly what I aimed to do. I'm building loyalty now as I am extremely happy with my truck with no problems to report, I'd buy the same one if mine were totaled tomorrow. That titan's engine sure put the rest to shame though!

Old 01-09-2007, 07:44 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i didnt test drive any truck except the F150 because i think the F150 has the sharpest looking exterior of all of them and i see so many of them and i investigated them and figured that it would last me for a long long time (thankgod) and that i wouldnt really have any problems with it granted that i have had some minor issue but ill definatley buy another F150 when this one dies oh lets say 12 years down the road maybe ...

-Matt

Old 01-09-2007, 08:57 PM
ShootinOK
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Here's my 2cents -
I drove my wife nuts a year ago because I took soo long to pick the right truck for me.
1 year and 30,000 miles later I could not be happier with my choice.
2006 F150 Screw, Lariat 4X4
Get the most truck you can afford and definately go with the big wheels and tires as stated -
The best looking toughest trucks on the road - F150 for me!

Old 01-09-2007, 09:08 PM
T-B_MN
Senior User
Thanks for that analysis, its nice to see unbiased views of the available trucks out there. I drove a few others when i bought mine but i am kinda biased to ford, so i was pretty sure i was gonna get one

Old 01-09-2007, 09:51 PM
XLTeaser
Junior User
Talking

I've never considered a full-size truck until I moved to Coastal Texas last August. Had a VW GTI and loved it but...after experiencing my first south Texas rainfall, I started seriously considering a truck. Ford F150's out number every other make 5 to 1 down here so it made my choice a lot easier. Besides the sheer number of them on the road, I think they have a much classier and dateless look than the competition and the ride will make you forget your driving a 4x4 truck. The only thing I miss about the VW was the gas mileage.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:30 PM
T-B_MN
Senior User
In texas aren't most of the trucks diesel? Last time i went down there (Corpus Christi) diesel out numbered the light duty/gas trucks like five to one. Everybody had Superduty's and 1500's. And of course everything was lifted sky high

Old 01-09-2007, 10:46 PM
XLTeaser
Junior User
LOL...your right, there are a lot of diesels down here but of the gasoline variety..Ford F150's rule the roads and my employer's parking lot. Almost looks like a Ford dealership where I work.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:21 AM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That is a pretty comprehensive review there, nice job. I am actually kind of in the market myself. I made the mistake of selling my '93 F-150 to my friend three years ago and buying a used '95 Ram 1500. I like the Dodge for the most part but the ride is awful compared to the Ford.

My family is a Chevy family for the most part, I am the black sheep I guess. My father raves about his '03 Silverado and I have to admit, the ride is like a Cadillac. I agree, the 4x4 stance seems very low. The 5.3L seems more economical than what I am used to with my previous trucks - 5.0L and 5.2L (Dodge).

I am not sure whether to buy new or used right now even though I have an X-plan PIN#. There is a beautiful '03-'05 Ram 1500 Quad Cab for sale close by but like you, I have kids and the Quad Cab seems much smaller than a Super Crew. I'd have to look at a Mega Cab to compare. I am also scared off about the ride in the Dodge as compared to Ford and Chevy.

From the research I've done, the Chevy/GMC does a little better on fuel and has a little more power than Ford. I don't care for the styling however so I am hesitant to consider it. I like the Dodge styling best personally but the Mega Cab is very expensive and the interior is kind of cheap looking. That leaves Ford and from what I can see, it is probably the best value - it has the best interior, nice styling, and decent power.

Since I am not in a rush, I am considering waiting until the '09 re-design and hoping the 6.2L motor and 5 or 6 speed automatic transmission will be placed into these trucks. I figure since my kids are only 4 & 2 I could squeeze them into a used Quad Cab Ram model for a couple of years before stepping up to a Super Crew. Did you notice that among the used models that Dodge was cheaper than Chevy and Ford? I usually keep my trucks for over 100k so resale wasn't that important to me until I started shopping for a used truck and saw the difference - I was kind of surprised.

Thanks for the comprehensive write up you did, it was very helpful. I hope you enjoy the new truck!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:37 AM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just bought a new 2007 F-150 because it was the cheapest new full-size truck I could find. With a sticker of $18,875, I paid $15,200 out the door (tax, title, tags and all) with a bedliner. The standard cab with extra room and four doors was a plus for me, providing secure space for carrying items you don't want to just throw in the bed. It's not supposed to be my primary vehicle, but I find myself taking it out more than my SUV. I don't mind shifting gears and the V6 has adequate power. The ride is fantastic and the brakes are the best I've had on any vehicle. Love it!

Old 01-10-2007, 08:35 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would like to drive the newly designed 07 Toyota Tundra, with the new 5.7 and full tow configuration it's rated at 10,600 lb tow for the 2wd and 10,300 4x4.. The 5.7 is rated at 381hp/401lb/tq. Looks pretty beefy.
But I will still keep my F150

http://www.toyota.com/tundra/index.html

Old 01-10-2007, 09:56 AM
onelostokie73
New User
I thought your review was very thorough. I just had this discussion with some co-workers. One co-worker thought the Nissan had them all beat. I explained (as a former farm boy) that the little tin can called "Titan" would be crushed in a heartbeat out on the farm. Any cattlemen out there ever had a 900 lb. steer back up into a quarter panel. It takes a pretty good toilet plunger to get that dent out. I also explained that trucks are not about speed. Trucks are are an all emcompassing machine that can do it all, creature comforts come second to me (although they are nice). I must tell you that I am a die hard Ford man, I bleed Blue (Oval, that is). As a Ford man I feel severly threatened by the new Toyota Tundra. I had the unique opprtunity to see, feel, and hear one in Dallas, TX during the Texas Sate Fair this year. I shall say that this truck will be a VERY formidable opponent and very worthy of the title "Truck". I will still buy a Ford out of sheer loyalty.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1saxman
I just bought a new 2007 F-150 because it was the cheapest new full-size truck I could find.
Same here. Brand new SuperCab, V8 and 4x4 for $21,000.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:27 AM
SHAQ
New User
I just picked a new 06 Screw F150 XLT with the XTR pack. The only other p-u I tried was a Hemi Ram I already had a Silverado so I wanted something different this time and I wasn't interested in the overpriced foriegn trucks! The Dodge was nice, 06 Demo with 5000k's, the Hemi's have some grunt, nice interior/gauges, but the family comfort wasn't there so the wife said NO. Plus it was 41,000k (CAN) for a demo ST trim with SLT options. The Ford rode nicer we found, easier to get the kids in and out and it was 35,000K for a brand new one so that made the desicion a lot easier. This is my first Ford truck and so far I'm quite pleased except I should have opted for the 5.4 instead of the 4.6.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:48 AM
tooldad
Elder User
Thumbs up

I too shopped for a long time and the family was quike disgusted with it all. But in fairness, the last vehicle I bought was a '93 Suburban, which I still drive with over 278k on it with the original engine and trans. So buying another vehicle was a big deal for me. I shopped them all in '05, then again in '06. I ended up buying an '06 F-150 SCREW Lariat 4X4 with the 5.4L. Very happy with it so far.

I will say that Ford seems to keep the extra features to a minimum as compared to the GM products. I was slightly disappointed to find after the purchase that there were no illumination lights in the glove box, ash tray/cup holder area, or under the hood. The information center is pretty basic too, which makes me wonder why when the basic computer is already there; additional features could easily/inexpensively have been added. But Ford seems to concentrate on very solid basics, and I do like the interior the best in terms of quality and styling.

I found each brand had its pros and cons as one might expect. It is kind of odd that in the '05 search, Ford fell to bottom of my list, only to surface as the winner in '06. Just did more research and the '06 rode much better than the two '05 models I drove. Go figure.

I am anxious to try the new '07 Tundra too, though I probably will stay out of the "candy store" for my own benefit.

Quick Reply: 2006 F-150