Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2007, 02:21 AM
Senior User

Cool6.9DieselGuy is starting off with a positive reputation.
7.3L IDI Crate Motor - are these still available?

I think my 6.9L is having some cavitation issues so I'm considering just dropping in a brand new crate motor, does anyone know if you can still get a 7.3L IDI crated and who/where has the best prices?
Old 01-09-2007, 03:19 AM
New User

Baradium is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool6.9DieselGuy
I think my 6.9L is having some cavitation issues so I'm considering just dropping in a brand new crate motor, does anyone know if you can still get a 7.3L IDI crated and who/where has the best prices?
I've been told from unnamed sources that with the new foundry process (International can do a run of a single block because they can make castings on the fly on a per run basis) that when you get a reNEWed engine (that'll be the International branded rebuild) they occassionaly are new blocks. Basically, it seems that if they run short on blocks getting bad cores etc they will make a run of them to keep up the supply. However, you *cannot* request or otherwise buy a block like that for a re NEWed engine specifically.

I don't believe International lists a new engine. I believe a 7.3IDI will be a D-444, but I'm not sure. A DT-444E is the International version of what ford called the PowerStroke.

http://www.internationaldelivers.com...wedengines.asp

http://www.internationaldelivers.com...denginesv8.asp

International contracts with Delco Remy/FPP for the V-8 engines.

Apparently Ford discontinued the part number and got rid of what engines they had in the supply chain.

I don't know if Ford can get reNEWed parts, but International dealerships can easily enough. Scout Light Line suppliers can as well, but don't know if they can get more medium truck type parts easily or not.

Some International dealerships aren't very friendly if they realize you aren't getting a big truck part, but the 6.9 and 7.3L engines were used in a lot of dump trucks. The international spec'd parts will also be heavier duty than original Ford ones (this remains true today, one reason why a new Ford might have an issue that International trucks don't).

This information is mostly from a diesel mechanic I know, some of it is a mixture of information gathered since I'm big into the International vehicles.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:27 AM
Elder User

Agemenon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool6.9DieselGuy
Do you got some white smoke and coolant missing?
C6
156,000KM
Old 01-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Senior User

vtjvt is starting off with a positive reputation.
motorworks out of spokan washington build a nice 7.3
Old 01-10-2007, 04:33 AM
Senior User

Cool6.9DieselGuy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemenon
Do you got some white smoke and coolant missing?
I have some white smoke that I only see in my mirrors at night on the highway, coolant missing and I smell coolant sometimes too, I basically know there's gotta be a small headgasket leak, I try not to drive the truck till I can pull the motor and regasket it but i'm considering some other options also while considering the cavitation factor and all... also the other night my antifreeze was low and I saw some white bubbles/clouds in the radiator and wasn't sure if that was oil or just bubbles in the coolant, filled it up and haven't seen anything in the radiator yet that I would think would be oil and haven't seen those white clouds anymore either

Baradium I checked out those links, thank you
Old 01-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Post Fiend

Dave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to behold
When the head gaskets are getting ready to go, look for coolant around the rear two glow plugs. #7 & #8 cylinders tend to get most of the oil coming out of the CDR, which raises the cylinder pressures in those two cylinders. The head bolts stretch and let coolant seep out or compression to seep into the cooling system.

Servicing the CDR every other oil change or more often can prevent this problem.

"I dig dirt"

FTE Guidelines

FTE Moderator IDI diesel forum

WV Chapter Member
Old 01-10-2007, 03:35 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
1989, 69, 73, 73l, 89, brand, crate, diesal, diesel, engine, engines, ford, idi, moter, motor, powerstroke