6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Personal Blackstone Reports Review (Excel Spreadsheet)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Catfish_Man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like mine as well.

Blackstone said in my phone call that fuel dilution on the PSD is not significant until it reaches 2.5%. They were watching this however and my rport indicated an alert on that at about 1.6%. Since, then my fuel dilution has been about 1.2% and has gone back down as well.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Catfish_Man
Senior User
Forgot to add in the above:

It's nice to see the silicon (Dust/dirrt) numbers come down as you wash all the manufacturing junk out with each oil change.

Tells you that your intake air filtration is OK.

I was alarmed some years ago on a 5.9 Cummins when the first said silicon at 22PPM. Next sample dropped to about 17 and then down to about 10 where it was stable.

That is one of the most important figures, because dirt is what causes major wear, and most comes after break-in via the intake air.

Someone running aftermarket or performance intake might want to post along side of your results for silicon?

Old 01-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I called last week and asked about fuel dilution and how they test for.

They ignite the fuel and the time and temp at which is does tells them the fuel dilution as compared to the stock oil's analysis.

I asked about add-packs and the differences between convential and synthetics and how this plays into (or changes) the fuel diltution rates as reported by them?? They confirmed that it does play a role, but they have not studied it enough to give a very clear or concise answer.

My dilution went up (on average) after I switched from MC 15W-40 to Rotella-Syn 5W-40... so this leads me to wonder and why asked the question I did?

I also asked that Blackstone ammend their paperwork that we all send in with each sample as to document what API rating the oil has that is sampled? This is due to the fact (for example) that the new CJ4 spec'd oil will probably show different results than the same oil brand with the older CI4+ rating.

I plan on putting the API spec on all future samples and have them notate it on my report just so I can keep track... at which time I switch to CJ4 spec'd oil (waiting for Rotella to launch their synthetic CJ4 oil in 2007).

Old 01-14-2007, 08:15 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Catfish_Man
Forgot to add in the above:

It's nice to see the silicon (Dust/dirrt) numbers come down as you wash all the manufacturing junk out with each oil change.

Tells you that your intake air filtration is OK.

I was alarmed some years ago on a 5.9 Cummins when the first said silicon at 22PPM. Next sample dropped to about 17 and then down to about 10 where it was stable.

That is one of the most important figures, because dirt is what causes major wear, and most comes after break-in via the intake air.

Someone running aftermarket or performance intake might want to post along side of your results for silicon?
That would be very interesting to see.

I know the highest silicon report I ever got back from them was an engine which had made 30-35 passes at the drag strip in its lifespan (not to mention being driven around in the pits and parking lot, which is dirt/gravel) with the air filter completely removed.

If short drag passes and the like with no filter can make a significant impact, the use of an aftermarket filter with a 1% reduction in filtering capacity over several hundred thousand miles could be likewise significant.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Catfish_Man
Senior User
This is engine casting sand. From cast iron casting of the blocks at the engine factory.

Sand is silicon.

Got to flush the fines of sand powder out of an engine block that is laced with very fine sand powder after you run it for a couple hundred miles. No matter Cummins or Ford.

Even if you don't have to do it, you should do it!!!!!

That sand is MAJOR wear stuff!! No way to tell if you got a clean engine or not from any factory, and I don't care what brand you have or what the manufacturer says about first oil change.

If you spent $6000 plus for a diesel with cast iron parts then you need to swallow two quick oil changes. The first at less than 1,000 miles and the second at an additional 2,000 miles.

I'd never place any diesel in heavy service without that first flush at under 1,000 miles. No mater what manufacturer!!

Been tracking oil analysis through two engines so far and am getting ready for the third, a 2010 6.4.

It's due for the first change now at 780 miles. Then I'm putting her to the test with a 12,000 fifth wheel behind her.

But she will not do that work for more than 3,500 total miles before I change the oil again.

After that she shoulkd be good to go for many hunderds of thousands of miles.

The other thing is to settle on one oil and filter. My last 6.0 got nothing but Delo 400 and Motorcraft filters. The Cummins got Rotella, but the analysis said their oil additive package was way all over the place with Rotella. (Phosphorus and Moly and Bariun, etc.) The Delo results are dead nuts every analysis report with Delo oil.

Used to manage oil analysis for a huge industrial plant with up to 100 machines on survey.

Don't buy cheap oil and don't buy cheap oil filters.

Also, if you go to your Ford dealer for a change ask specifically what oil they are using. Some dealers have cheap contracts with local lubricant suppliers and you may not be getting Motorcraft oil like you think you are getting and per your engine manual. If your oil comes from a bulk tank or drum at your Ford dealer...ask to see the drum label.

Not everything is as evident as it might seem to be!!!!!

You might just be supprised in a big way.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Just ordered my free kit...so after my next oil change I'll get to see how she looks after 87K miles.