Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2011, 12:34 PM
New User

Rickey0604 is starting off with a positive reputation.
7.3L oil leak

Thanks guys for all you got. Just dropped $600 on finding out that HPOP line was cracked and lost almost 4 quarts in a month. Still have a leak and going out to find the plug just as soon as I pull into port.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Freshman User

zthayer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Zack Thayer
Pop, I'm zthayer I just purchased a 1997 7.3 about four weeks ago. It has developed a oil leak on the passenger side. I checked the oil and there isn't any milky residue and the previous owner replaced the valve cover gaskets.It has 82,000 original miles, Whats your thoughts?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Posting Guru

Visseroth has a good reputation on FTE.Visseroth has a good reputation on FTE.
I had this happen once too. Pull your IC tubes and re-seat the seal on the valve cover. Push it up towards the center of the engine then lightly tighten down all the top bolts. Then lightly tighten the bottom ones and wiggle the cover around a bit then tighten down the bolts in a star pattern. It should go away. Bottom line is the seal just needs to be re-seated.
It may also be worth pulling the seal off and cleaning all metals and the gasket.
When mine was leaking re-seating it fixed it.
Sept. 1st '98 E'99 F250 SD 7.3L International Turbo Diesel 4X4 6Spd Manual, 245K Miles, Supercab 4 door. Fuel Pressure, Pyro, voltage and boost gauge. Current mods include Napa 6637, IDM 140v mod, 4" Exhaust, UVCH quarter mod, HPX, RiffRaff FRx, Coolant filter and IC foil delete.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthayer View Post
Pop, I'm zthayer I just purchased a 1997 7.3 about four weeks ago. It has developed a oil leak on the passenger side. I checked the oil and there isn't any milky residue and the previous owner replaced the valve cover gaskets.It has 82,000 original miles, Whats your thoughts?
Is the oil running down over the exhaust manifold? If not, its not likely the VC gasket. These seldom leak and don't really 'go bad' - as far as sealing the VC goes anyway. Why did PO replace the gaskets?

If the oil is on the back of the engine or makes a puddle/stain on the pass-side behind the engine - you most likely have a leak into the engine valley somewhere. Look down behind the fuel filter with a brite flashlite. See any oil puddled up down there?

Oh, and there are no CAC tubes on a '97...
Old 07-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Junior User

Powerstoke73 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turbo

I have an oil leak that is driving me crazy i have a 99 f350 dually 7.3 and the bottom of the truck is cover in oil the oil pan the trans pan and the under carriage looks to be oil but the dip stick is still full i looked in the valley but i couldnt see anything near the hpop but there is some kind of line under the pedestal and it looked like it was wet (oil) and while i was back there i saw a line unplugged that was very close to where the fuel filter goes into its a two prong plug with like a metal clip on it i have no idea where or what it goes to and why it is unplugged

Any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Senior User

k2vailkid is starting off with a positive reputation.
Things to look for on your search:

1. If there isn't oil pooled in the valley under the HPOP and fuel bowl, then your leak isn't from the topside.

2. Turbo Pedestal O-Rings could be at fault. Run your fingers (when the truck is cold) around the base of the turbo and where it bolts to the engine block. This is a common leak spot.

3. Sadly oil pans on these 7.3's can rot out and weep oil. Check that as well.

4. The Dipstick-to-oil pan gasket commonly swell and leak as these trucks age.

I just had to have my oil pan gasket, dipstick tube gasket and rear main seal replaced this spring, only 175k on the clock. Not sure why both were leaking as this ISN'T common on these. Since the motor had to come out might as well fix them all while you are in there.

The plug you are talking about sounds like the fuel bowl heater plug.

I'm sure others will throw some more stuff in here from their experiences! Good people here!
2003 F250 Lariat 7.3, Rosewood Stage 2's, Stealth SRP1.1 HPOP, GTP38R 1.0, BTS Trans, Live Tuned DP-Tuner F5, Spearco 6.0IC, DI Reg fuel system, HOG SS 4" Exhaust, Dynatrac Free-Spin Axle Conversion, 4" Lift on Bilstein piggybacks w/35's.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Senior User

k2vailkid is starting off with a positive reputation.
"The plug you are talking about sounds like the fuel bowl heater plug."

I realized I should be more specific because there are two plugs in that area.
The yellowish plug that is up higher on the back of the fuel bowl is your bowl heater. There is a black plug down lower and set slightly left of center as well. That goes to the HPOP, I believe it is the IPR circuit.

Hope that helps with a bit more info.

-Kevin
2003 F250 Lariat 7.3, Rosewood Stage 2's, Stealth SRP1.1 HPOP, GTP38R 1.0, BTS Trans, Live Tuned DP-Tuner F5, Spearco 6.0IC, DI Reg fuel system, HOG SS 4" Exhaust, Dynatrac Free-Spin Axle Conversion, 4" Lift on Bilstein piggybacks w/35's.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:27 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
01, 73, 73l, diesel, dit, f250, high, hpop, leak, leaks, liter, oil, powerstroke, pressure, pump