Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Post Fiend

Tenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by winn9524
Redsundevil,

how much oil can I expect to come out of the plug as it looks like I have the same problem? Will it be easier to wait for an oil change?

'01 Supercab 7.3PSD Dually XLT 121K
As much as is in there which isn't huge in the grand sceme. The HPOP reservior won't hold that much, and after the leak, who knows? If you don't need a change, just make the repair and top off the HPO reservior with what, about a half quart of fresh oil?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:28 AM
Freshman User

winn9524 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Alrighty,

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-15-2007, 08:21 AM
New User

Redsundevil is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a little less than a cup worth of oil come out when I pulled mine, but I'd imagine that could change depending on how recently you've driven the truck, not sure exactly. Luckily I had stuffed a large quantity of rags down in the intake valley before pulling the plug, which helped soak up the majority.

As for waiting for an oil change....my leak was bad enough that it was going to change the oil itself in about 20 miles of driving, so waiting wasn't an option. I suppose you could wait if the leak is slow, just depends on how much it bothers you I guess.

Just a reminder, I didn't have to top-off the HPOP to fix the rough-running condition, I just drove it a couple miles, but it is an option if you want to do it.

Last edited by Redsundevil; 01-15-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:00 PM
New User

sir62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up thanks for the oil leak repair

After reading the posts, I have deceided I too can "fix" the leak. The last problem was with a fuel leak thanks to the new fuel being forced on us all. Fuel leak was taken care of as the oil leak will be soon.Thanks to all on the FTE for the advice and how to's I will save enough money on repair bills to pay for this computer....LOL
Old 02-06-2007, 09:25 AM
New User

02F350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
my bottom end plug is leaking does anyone know how to fix this? i have 7.3
Old 01-30-2008, 03:28 PM
New User

wbeding is starting off with a positive reputation.
hi everyone,

I am new to this site and new to owning a diesel. I recently noticed that my 03 7.3 PSD was leaking oil onto the pavement. I inspected under the hood and found there to be a puddle of oil underneath the fuel bowl. I have read a fair amount of the seals on the high pressure oil pump and was wondering if anyone could offer a detailed procedure and perhaps a diagram or two of potential problem areas.

thanks,

Drew
Old 02-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
HPOP Diagram
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Posting Guru

HeatStroked is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HeatStroked is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just replaced the "do not remove plug" O ring. The O ring was blown out around the plug and the plug itself was easily removed with a wrench.
Picked up a pump O ring kit at International for a 6 cylinder,had the correct O ring in it.
Cleaned threads, loc-tite green and re-installed.
No problems since.
Ford or International pump rebuild kits for the 7.3 do not include this O ring.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
HeatStroked,

Did you remove the HPOP from the engine to do that job? Do you need to keep that port in the "up" position when you pull that plug?

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 02-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Posting Guru

HeatStroked is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HeatStroked is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
HeatStroked,

Did you remove the HPOP from the engine to do that job? Do you need to keep that port in the "up" position when you pull that plug?

Pop
Yes and yes
Old 02-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
I am FIRMLY convinced that the LocTite is doing the sealing job for these plugs, not the o-rings. Both male and female threads have to be spotlessly clean and free from ANY oil residue (I used a lot of Q-tips and brake cleaner) for the LocTite to really seal perfectly.

I'm going on two years of having a Buna (not Buna-N) o-ring and incorrect (blue) LocTite in mine with no leaks.

Sorry, guys, I had to "Micky-Mouse" it one Saturday for a mandatory trip on a Sunday, and it's never leaked since. That was almost two years ago.

The correct o-rings and LocTite ride around in my center console, just in case...

I'll stick to my guns about the o-rings not really being what seals.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350

Last edited by SpringerPop; 02-14-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 PM
New User

zander499 is starting off with a positive reputation.
do u guys know how to keep oil from coming out of th dip stick where i goes in to the oil pan its like hex head looking bolt its on a 99 powerstroe
Old 04-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Junior User

StrokeR_7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i got a small leak so i figured id subscribe......
Old 04-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Senior User

k2vailkid is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question about this fix...

I've had a steady oil leak for over a year, the service manager at my local stealership keeps saying, "it's a pressure type leak because of the volume of oil that is leaking, and the fact it only happens if the truck is running. If it were a rear main seal, it would just leak the same all the time." He wants to pull the tranny to investgate further, but what is hiding there to look at besides a rear main?

If the valley is totally dry, and it's not a pedestal leak, can any oil come from the HPOP? Any other spots I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for the assistance, I want to solve this one!
2003 F250 Lariat 7.3, Rosewood Stage 2's, Stealth SRP1.1 HPOP, GTP38R 1.0, BTS Trans, Live Tuned DP-Tuner F5, Spearco 6.0IC, DI Reg fuel system, HOG SS 4" Exhaust, Dynatrac Free-Spin Axle Conversion, 4" Lift on Bilstein piggybacks w/35's.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:03 PM
New User

Love my 93 F350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello all.

I've got a 93 F350 7.3L non turbo. I noticed some oil leaks the past few weeks so I changed the oil and replaced broken seal on drain plug thinking that would fix it. I live in San Antonio Tx. Never gets cold here. Last night it got in the low teens. Finally got it started and noticed it was really bleeding from the oil filter housing close to the front. Had to take the truck so I grab 4 Gals of oil and headed out. Got to work and check. Not bleeding just a few drips. Let it set and checked oil. Plenty of oil on dipstick. I’ve read previous posting. Seen some diagrams none of which looks like what I’ve got unless it is the front part that attaches to the tube (about 2 1/5 in dia.) that connects to filter. It looked like it was leaking where the “tube” connects to the front bracket assembly. HELP please.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
01, 73, 73l, diesel, dit, f250, high, hpop, leak, leaks, liter, oil, powerstroke, pressure, pump