Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Senior User

Marty86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wanting to buy a 2nd gen Lightning

Hello all, I need some help.

Back in September I bought a old beat up f-150, 5.0, 4spd 4x4, long bed. All the goodies. I love her, but I just have gotten to where, I really don't need all the fun stuff of a 4x4 and long bed. And because all of my driving, I really need a auto right now. But, I still want a truck, and I dont want a v8. I feel like a Lightning could cure my ails, in two ways. Its fast, and it looks great. The average price here in the Dallas TX area is from 13k to 19k, so wouldn't be that bad on my budget I don't think.

Now, here's my questions: Its going to be a daily driver, but what kind of chip mods can you do to this truck? What kind of gas mileage does it get? I'm not real picky, and I'd assume somewhere between 16-19 with a light foot?

What is the towing capcity of this truck? I dont know if I'd ever need to, but I'm just curious.

One last question, how rare is it to find a black lightning? I don't like the red or white (seems to be the most popular)

Anyhow, I appreciate any input. I'm sorry if I'm making another thread, I couldn't find one that answered my questions.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Postmaster

DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.
You don't want a V8, but you want a Lightning..........I'm confused.

You want fuel economy but are asking about chips Pulley changes and programmer gets you 450 SAFE HP.

They're rated at 5,000 towing. 12-15 MPG is more realistic (that's on our box stock '04)

Good luck finding one that's not a rat for 13K...............19K will get you a nice early Gen II L.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:06 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
I would post, but DOHC covered the bases.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Senior User

Marty86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
No I want a v8, I just dont want/need the 4x4 or long bed abilities.

As far as fuel ecomony, I'm not looking for it, I just heard that you can get better mpg with chips. I don't know much about them, all I ever hear is "better mpg, and better horsepower".

Is there anything I should be looking at, common problems and the like?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:48 AM
Freshman User

shandell is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have a 1993 here, has had nothing done to it, no major problems and my other half never does oil changes or anything else to often. Maybe once a year if lucky. Poor truck!! She keeps on going and going and going.

Only issue is tailgate on those does not hold weight, and MPG really is bad, even when it was new, Highest was 13 miles per gallon in town, and 18 freeway. Lead foot here.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:48 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150