Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

02 Explorer 4 wheel drive problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:17 PM
FTE/PARTS-GUY
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
everyone really should check my site for these modules. From the looks of it you are paying to much. use the contact us link and send vin number there are about three different ones depending on production date.

1L5Z7E453AC

Ed

Old 11-25-2008, 02:41 PM
tracdude
New User
I have an 04 sport trac and have a similar issue. It won't shift into either low or high. I can hear the 4x4 module clicking behind the glove compartment, however there is definitely no movement to engage. Any other help would certainly be appreciated. I am going to try all above suggestions as well. Thanks. BTW I have 172k on my sport trac and knock on wood it has been awesome!

Old 11-25-2008, 03:25 PM
inFargo
New User
I'll stand by my cheep fix as to the nylon (?) or whatever material on the back side of the "coke can" size gear that is run by the worm gear from the motor. get that gear out, and check the back side. There is a metal post that should have a nylon/plastic part on the part. Plastic parts may fall out, but find a little piece of tubing or whatever to replace it. it functions as a stop to the gear so the stop isn't metal to metal. no need to glue it in. What happens when this piece falls apart is that the contact fingers lose their position and it no longer knows where it it at, and therefore won't move. My earlier post gave some better details. Looks to me that its true function is in insure the replacement of shift motors right after the warranty expires. Mine has been working fine for years after this fix. it is also cheeper than swapping $200 boxes around unless they are proved to be faulty. also, no need to clip the brown wire, just prop up the pieces as needed. You don't have to clean the motor unless it has never been done before, then it wouldn't hurt as long as your on your back.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:31 PM
pbjohns
Senior User
4 wheel drive problem

To replace the 4x4 module, you open the glove box all the way, it has a catch so that the box will open and not drop the contense. push on the catch and it will fall all the way open so you can get to the bad unit. one screw is holding it in place loosen the screw, and unplug the unit, just reverse the process to install. good luck

Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 PM
sunchick
New User
2002 Ford Explorer Module

Took my 2002 Explorer to the garage today and they tell me I need a module for my 4-wheel drive and also my transfer case is leaking. They want $399 for the module, $1,475 for the Transfer Case, if I need a new one, plus labor and some other parts. Comes to about $2,700 worse case scenario. I have a little over 91,000 miles on it. I also had to put a new transmission in it just 2,000 miles over the warranty. Is it time to get rid of it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:12 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I had an '02 as well. It was the biggest pile of crap I've ever owned, nothing but problems (replaced ac, rear coils, 4x4 module, fuel gauge sensor/sending unit, etc). 3rd gear went out in it with less than 100k on it and I was done at that point so I drove it to the dealership and traded it in on a new Saturn a year or so ago.

The 4x4 module can be had for about $150 through some of the links mentioned in this thread. It's easy to replace, especially if you have a haynes manual.

Look at the value of the truck and compare it to the amount of money you're putting into it. In my opinion, it's just not worth it. I've had a trouble free 2000 F250 that I bought brand new and have only (knock on wood) had to replace normal wear items. Replacing transmissions and transfer cases on a vehicle with less than 100k on the clock is ridiculous to me.

Just my .02.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:38 AM
rrgone
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sunchick
Took my 2002 Explorer to the garage today and they tell me I need a module for my 4-wheel drive and also my transfer case is leaking. They want $399 for the module, $1,475 for the Transfer Case, if I need a new one, plus labor and some other parts. Comes to about $2,700 worse case scenario. I have a little over 91,000 miles on it. I also had to put a new transmission in it just 2,000 miles over the warranty. Is it time to get rid of it? Any advice would be appreciated.
You can add a lot of mercon fluid to the tcase for $1475. Is it leaking bad? The garage you took it to may have seen their next boat payment walk in the door. The module is pretty common to fail on the 2002s. Easy to fix too, check out the online sellers mentioned here and do it yourself.

BTW, I love my '02 and I did have to put a new 4X4 module in and a new DPFE sensor. Other than that it has been perfect for me. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 AM
sunchick
New User
2002 Ford Explorer Module

Thank you 2000silverbullet and rrgone for your feedback. I am going to look into ordering the module online as you all suggested and have a friend of mine install it. No, it is not leaking bad. Here is the weird part. The Ford dealership said it was my air conditioning that was leaking, but when they put dye in, it never showed up. So I took it to another garage and they told me it was my manifold and it had to be replaced. So I did that and something is still leaking, which makes me think it is the transfer case. I will go back to them and have a little chat with them. Not only did the Ford dealership give that "worse" case estimate of $2,700, but they tried to sell me a used 2006 Ford Explorer or a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer. Checked Consumer Reports and they have that year of both listed as "worse used cars". I do love my car, but not enough to put $2,700 into it. Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 AM
yanyika
New User
Great help here fixing my wife's 2002 Explorer. Took your advice.

Ordered the 4wd CM from the guy in NV. Ordered Friday arrived Monday!! Took 15min to install the CM. Hardest part was figuring how to detach the CM. It was very easy. One screw "from" the bottom of the glove box. Loosen the bracket and the assembly comes off.

After installation the 4WD worked like a dream.

My problem was: 4WD lights flashing sometimes for about 5min. Eventually no flashing. was going on for about 1yr intermitently. Then finally no lights and no 4WD.

Thanks all. Saved me about $200 from the dealer. With shipping it cost about $185

Old 10-08-2011, 11:41 PM
wbesack
New User
4x4 not working - fixed with 4x4 module replacement

Thanks to this site and all your posts, I fixed mine in 5 minutes for $200 plus tax. I had the same symptoms. 4x4 was working for 10 years, then on the day I went to sell it, it failed on the test drive! The automatic function stopped working a few years ago and was thought to be the module at that time, but mechanic said just keep pushing the 4-high button manually when needed and save the cash.

Here are some helpful tips in hind sight on diagnosing the module as the issue:
1. Check the fuses, both under the dash and in the engine compartment. There are about 5 or 6 of them and they are listed in the owners manual - look for all that reference "4x4".
2. When starting the engine, watch the diagnostic dash lights. In my case, I only saw the "4x Low" light up when the key was first turned. on. After replacing the module, BOTH the 4high and 4low lights came on during power up which seem to indicate the 4-low part of the module was responding but the 4-high was faulty.
3. Knock on the transfer case motor with a wooden mallet or gently with a hammer while the engine is running, in park, and someone is pushing the Auto and 4-H buttons. The motor can get a dead spot or bit of dirt. The tapping can knock it loose according to the mechanic at my dealer.
4. Pull and re-seat all cable connections to the transfer motor, 4x4 module, and maybe even the dash switch.

If all these fail, the next most likely cause, especially if the 4x4 was working one day and not at all the next, is the 4x4 control module. This came straight from the ford dealer mechanic's mouth.

NOTE: Just to be safe, disconnect the black negative cable on the battery during the swap out of the module to avoid power spikes, which are known to damage them. As others have said, it took literally 5 minutes to replace the module on the 2002 Explorer. Do NOT yet remove the 2 screws attaching the plastic to the bracket. Remove the single screw that points straight up and attaches the bracket to the AC. The whole bracket and module will swing to the left and pull out once you disconnect the plugs. 2 screws hold the module to the bracket.

I got my part directly from the dealer for $200, but their list price was $280. I simply told them I was just about to sell the car and it failed. I also showed them a printout from rockauto's site showing the same Motorcraft part for $170. The part's guy said $170 was hard to believe - that was near cost. I asked how low he could go. Could he give it to me for $200? He calculated a second and said, "how about $202?" SOLD!

Lesson learned: Always ask for a lower price, especially on high-markup dealer parts. Come prepared with proof of an online price from a reputable supplier. Worst they can do is say no. At 70% markup on this part, they had plenty of room to come down a bit and still make money.

The happy ending: Took 5 minutes and a couple of small metric nut drivers to replace the module. Reconnected the battery and the 4x4 was in working order. Sold the truck three hours later. WooHoo!

If this still had not fixed it, the only thing left would have been a replacement of the transfer case motor. Lots of good video on youtube on how to do this. New part from the dealer was well over $300 list!!!! Junkyard had them on the shelf used for $70. Cheap potential fix. A little hard to get to without a lift but just a few bolts and maybe an hour's worth of work tops. Thankfully the module took care of it. Just make sure they cross the part numbers correctly or at least let the dealer verify the current Ford part number needed based on the VIN. Then shop the web or talk the dealer down in price. Either way it's not a returnable part so might as well find the cheapest source.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:32 AM
PumaGOL
New User
What a great data sharing!!!!
Thank you very much...
After 3 years I could run in 4x4 again!!!!
This was my solution:

"3. Knock on the transfer case motor with a wooden mallet or gently with a hammer while the engine is running, in park, and someone is pushing the Auto and 4-H buttons. The motor can get a dead spot or bit of dirt. The tapping can knock it loose according to the mechanic at my dealer."

bless the mechanic at your dealer....

Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 PM
pbaca6138
New User
you can access it from under the dash, two small screws hold it in place.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 PM
2002sport
Senior User
Is this a problem on the '03-'05 Explorers? I'm looking for an '02-'05, maybe an '06 for the right price. Don't want to buy something I'll need to shuck a couple hundred dollars into every so often just for the 4x4 to work if I can avoid it.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Volkelrunner74
Freshman User
Check your local Parts house. I had to replace mine on my 93 Ford 150 and got it from ORiely's for $115 w/ Life time Warranty. It's really simple to replace I believe it was a 3 or 4 bolts actually holding it on. Good luck

Old 09-26-2012, 10:46 PM
pantellica
New User
Stuck in 4x4 low

I don't know if I am putting my question in the correct spot and I am new at this. I read and got alot of information from all your posts & directions and appreciate it.

My wife's 2002 Explorer XLT 4 wd quit working. No lights coming on when you push button for hi or low, no engaging. So yesterday first thing I did was googled and ended up here. I read forums. I bought a This is my 1st ever experience working on a 4x4. I read somewhere else that sometimes the 4x4 push button selector switch goes bad on the dash. I dont know if I should replace that as well. Any opinions or ideas would be of great help. Thank you, pant.

Quick Reply: 02 Explorer 4 wheel drive problem