New Brake Pads... EBC or Hawk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:39 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Brake Pads... EBC or Hawk?

Hey Guys,

I have a 2000 X V10 4X4 and its about time for some new brakes. (I think the fronts have been replaced, but the rears are original i think)

I was wondering what you all recommended for replacement pads. I think the stock brakes suck, so I'm looking for something with considerably more bite. I think the rotors are fine, but suggestions on those is great too. I have heard good things about the EBC's and Hawks, and I was wondering what you all recommended. Hawks, EBC redstuff, greenstuff, yellowstuff, or other?

Should I just look for the pads with the highest coefficient of friction?

PLEASE NOTE: I don't want to start a war or anything like the gas/diesel or bilstein/rancho things. Everybody has their own opinion and their own brake pads. I'm just looking for objective info and maybe some personal opinions.

And one other question:
The only other cars I've driven besides my X (im only 17) have been small, Japanese/German Cars with excellent brakes. So when I drive my X, the brakes are less than confidence inspiring. Just for fun, I was going ~25 mph in my neighborhood and pushed on the brake pedal until it bottomed out (panic stop) and even after the pedal was completely depressed, the truck continued to roll for a good bit before it decided to stop. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. I was going 25, what happens at 75?!? Now I know that the X is no Porsche, but is it normal for the brakes to be <i>that</i> bad?

Thanks in advance!

Isaac

Old 01-07-2007, 10:54 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I have about 3k miles on my Brembo OEM replacement rotors (all four wheels...these are your standard non-drilled, non-slotted OEM style rotors) and Hawk LTS pads...love the combo...stops on a dime and virtually NO brake dust.

good luck with whatever you choose...

Old 01-08-2007, 09:25 AM
ppo2
Senior User
Originally Posted by rsylvstr
I have about 3k miles on my Brembo OEM replacement rotors (all four wheels...these are your standard non-drilled, non-slotted OEM style rotors) and Hawk LTS pads...love the combo...stops on a dime and virtually NO brake dust.

good luck with whatever you choose...
I have the same exact setup as you. However, when I ordered my Brembo OEM replacement rotors online at TireRack, they guy said they don't sell Brembo rear rotors as they're never replaced. Doesn't make sense! So I still have original rear rotors and I think they need to be turned as I've got 51,000 miles on them.

Drive Safe,

Dan

Old 01-08-2007, 09:40 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ppo2
I have the same exact setup as you. However, when I ordered my Brembo OEM replacement rotors online at TireRack, they guy said they don't sell Brembo rear rotors as they're never replaced. Doesn't make sense! So I still have original rear rotors and I think they need to be turned as I've got 51,000 miles on them.

Drive Safe,

Dan
what truck do you drive? that's where i ordered mine....

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...ategory=Rotors

Old 01-08-2007, 09:50 AM
ppo2
Senior User
Originally Posted by rsylvstr
what truck do you drive? that's where i ordered mine....

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...ategory=Rotors
I drive an 02 Excursion Limited 4X4. Had the rotors and pads replaced about 15,000 miles ago and just recently had the front rotors turned despite proper break in of the ceramic pads and the proper torque of the lug nuts. Other than that, it's an AWESOME set up. Just need to clean the brake dust on the tires every week so as it does not accumulate.

Thanks for your reply.

Drive Safe,

Dan

Old 01-08-2007, 11:48 AM
L8RG8R
Junior User
Originally Posted by afreemanmd
Hey Guys,
Just for fun, I was going ~25 mph in my neighborhood and pushed on the brake pedal until it bottomed out (panic stop) and even after the pedal was completely depressed, the truck continued to roll for a good bit before it decided to stop. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. I was going 25, what happens at 75?!?
As you mentioned, your pads are probably done and/or you have air in the lines. I just got done flushing and bleeding my brake fluid and once the pads are against the rotors, the pedal doesn't move much more. I can activate the ABS and still have a long way to go until the pedal is fully depressed. You didn't mention that the ABS kicked in so I'm assuming they didn't. If not, your brakes have MUCH more potential than they have now.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I can't comment on the EBC, but I do know the guys who use them love 'em!

I just changed the front brakes on my 2000 PSD Ex, replacing the terrible OEM rotors for some cryo treated Powerslots, added some Hawk LTS pads, and my truck performs TONS better.

According to marketing claims, the cryo treated rotors resist warpage much better than stock rotors.

According to those that have used the cryo treated rotors for many thousands of miles (they've posted here in various threads) they no longer have any warp problems at all. The cryo rotors have completely eliminated their problem.

The pedal feel and brake response are much, much better with the Hawk pads and new rotors.

Stewart

Old 01-08-2007, 02:45 PM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
My '01 X has developed a shake/shimmey when I apply the brakes - it started out mild, but has gotten worst. I'm afraid that it's a warped rotor. I don't feel anything in the steering wheel or in the brake pedal, but the whole truck shakes when the brakes are first applied until it slows to about 20/30 mph.

Could it just be the pads? I bought the truck used a few months ago and looking through the tire/rim, they look like new pads - probably installed by the dealer, which makes me think they are probably cheap ones. But could cheap pad make the whole truck shake?

I get an occaisional squeak when stopping, but no grinding or anything.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:00 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
Originally Posted by L8RG8R
As you mentioned, your pads are probably done and/or you have air in the lines. I just got done flushing and bleeding my brake fluid and once the pads are against the rotors, the pedal doesn't move much more. I can activate the ABS and still have a long way to go until the pedal is fully depressed. You didn't mention that the ABS kicked in so I'm assuming they didn't. If not, your brakes have MUCH more potential than they have now.
Yeah, i couldn't imagine that they were supposed to be that bad. Yeah, the ABS didn't kick in. When I took it in for the 95,000 mi Service, I had them check the ABS, because I couldn't get it to actuate. Apparently, they took it to a gravel pit behind the dealership and got the ABS to engage on gravel, but not on the concrete... I don't think the brakes stop anywhere near fast enough to make the tires skid on concrete, so there's no need for the ABS to engage.

Thanks all!

Old 01-08-2007, 08:50 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
I am thinking of getting some SS braided brake lines. I believe they will help with the brakes too since there is less bulge in them when the brakes are applied.