Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Fordsflylow
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NumberDummy
Toyota delayed production last year on the new to the US market Yaris, and the new Tundra, when build quality issues surfaced. Both vehicles are now in production.

Source: Automotive News
I'd bet my bottom dollar there's still going to be some bugs and gremlins in the next year or two! They're not as perfect as many make them out to be!

Old 01-09-2007, 09:07 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
Toyota delayed production last year on the new to the US market Yaris, and the new Tundra, when build quality issues surfaced. Both vehicles are now in production.

I read in a GM friendly publication the other day that the real reason Toyota didn't introduce their new Tundra earlier is because they didn't want to have to compete with the new Chevrolet and GMC pickups for truck of the year. Somehow, I don't think that was the case as the GM products are a redesign with carryover powertrains. Gm won by default as they were almost the only players with new or substantially improved trucks this year (except for the Sport-Trac truckette).

I think the Tundra delay is the thinking of "get it right the first time". If they get right the first time, they will win but if there are issues, then it's just another truck.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:26 AM
OSin86
Posting Guru

This is something we could all learn from. I give Toyota great credit for not just pushing a vehicle out on the road because they had a deadline. Good for them for wanting to get it right first.

Originally Posted by Fordsflylow
I'd bet my bottom dollar there's still going to be some bugs and gremlins in the next year or two! They're not as perfect as many make them out to be!
Without a doubt there will be something but I think many including myself are applauding Toyota for at least trying to put out the best product they can.

Last edited by OSin86; 01-09-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:10 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Fords putting out the best product they can. They have learned there lesson. The new superduty was delayed so all issues could be adressed. This idea that Toyota is infallible is really a farce. As off right now Ford products exceed the need an are an measure up to Toyotas standards. Maybe we should call this the Toyota enthisiasts site. People are really complimentary off Totota all the time around here.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:28 AM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 150ford
I think Fords putting out the best product they can. They have learned there lesson. The new superduty was delayed so all issues could be adressed. This idea that Toyota is infallible is really a farce. As off right now Ford products exceed the need an are an measure up to Toyotas standards. Maybe we should call this the Toyota enthisiasts site. People are really complimentary off Totota all the time around here.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, it takes a long time to regain the publics trust. Using superduty's as an example isn't the best considering a lot of people are still hung up on the early problems with the 6.0L.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Indybroncoman
Senior User
I agree that Ford is putting out the best product that they can and I'm glad that they have seen the light somewhat. However, they can't continue relying on trucks to make ends meet. This does the hard-working UAW employees and our economy no good.

Ford makes an excellent truck. I personally think that the new F150s are the best pick-ups ever in terms of ride, comfort, quality and usability, though I have not however driven the new Toyota.

Toyota isn't perfect and I don't care for most of their products. I have driven a Camry and I think it is dull. But not as dull as the new Ford Five Hundred. What Toyota does have is superior engineering and the willingness and ability to implement technology ahead of some of the other automakers. Ford's engineers and workforce are every bit as capable as Toyota's or Honda's and I think the main difference is a different corporate culture.

Detroit laughed at the Japanese automakers in the 80s when they said if you want to sell more cars in America then you must move to America, betting they wouldn't come. Now they are building in America. Detroit responded by hedging their bets on the lucrative truck market and gave up the car to the Japanese. Detroit laughed at Toyota when they debuted with the T100. They sold all of them and improved upon the Tundra which of course just got improved. Detroit laughed when Toyota announced plans to enter NASCAR and they did very well in Craftsman trucks. It seems that Detroit is done laughing, has moved on to crying and is now taking the threat seriously. I'll never own a Toyota but I'll also never own a new Ford until Ford pulls its corporate head out of rectal defilade.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:27 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster

Maybe the new CEO of Ford should just be the CEO of Toyota..........Can't believe how complimentary of Toyota he is.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:59 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
I for one have never said that Toyota is infallible. I think that they usually put more time and money into R&D and quality control than the norm.

They typically don't have huge problems like cruise control fires, 6.0 diesels, and tire blowouts. (I know that the Firestone thing is not 100% Ford's fault, but that's how most people see it and they should have coordinated with Firestone better on tire pressures. The margin of safety was also too narrow on what was an OK pressure and what was not.)

They are typically ahead of the curve on what people want. IE- You can get hybrids in a ton of thier models. Prius, Camry, Echo, Highlander just off the top of my head. Ford has the Escape. Maybe some others that I can't recall right this second.

Toyotas also tend to retain thier value much longer most, especially in the car segment.

Is Toyota somewhat over hyped-yes.

Maybe people are really pro-Toyota around here because a few are very underservingly derogatory toward them.

I call them as I see them. Our next car would probably be a Toyota. Our next mini SUV would be a toss up between the Highlander and Escape. We'd just have to go drive them and decide. My next truck will probably be a Ford.

But I will never rule anything out on brand or country of origin. I'm going to get the most out of every hard earned dollar that I make. I realise that it's a global economy now, and it doesn't matter if I buy foreign or domestic. Either way, Americans will benefit.

Mike

Old 01-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
I think Fords putting out the best product they can. They have learned there lesson.
I don't think that's true. Ford pays a lot of attention to some models (F-Series, Mustang, Fusion), but doesn't pay any attention at all to other models (Freestar, Ranger, Taurus) and they fail.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:31 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Red Star
I don't think that's true. Ford pays a lot of attention to some models (F-Series, Mustang, Fusion), but doesn't pay any attention at all to other models (Freestar, Ranger, Taurus) and they fail.
I'd agree with that. They're losing thier trusted model names such as the Taurus. A lot of people are not going to go for things like the Fusion and 500 because they are a new name. Camry and Corolla are familiar, trusted names associated with quality products.

Same F series and Mustang. Trusted names. (Even if my F series trucks are POS)

I see new Dakotas, Colorados, and Tacomas on the street all the time. I don't see many new Rangers. They need to get thier head in the game on that one, or we might lose another name that carries a quality reputation.

Mike

Old 01-09-2007, 05:13 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
They need to work real hard on the f-series.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Dnepr68
New User
long time reader, but this is my first post.

From the moment of introduction of the new Tundra I was trying to find
any information about the new frame design and when I found it I coudn't
stop laughing.

Tundra’s chassis was specifically developed to superior towing performance.
On the underside, Tundra has a new ladder type frame design for strength,
durability, safety and excellent vibration control. It features a fully
boxed front end, a reinforced and riveted open C-channel in the middle, and
an open C-channel at the rear end. Eight lateral cross members hold the
frame together, with high strength steel in the main rails.

even Titan has fully boxed frame with welded crossmembers

Last edited by Dnepr68; 01-09-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:19 PM
seftonm
Senior User
Does that make the Titan a better tow vehicle than a Peterbilt with the inferior C-channel frame?

Edit: I just noticed the Super Duty and medium duty Dodges (4500, 5500) only has a fully boxed front part as well. I guess the Titan would be a better choice than those two as well.

Nobody seemed to care about frames until Ford started advertising how strong the new F-150's frame is. C-channel has handled heavy loads for decades. Why do half tons suddenly need fully boxed frames when the heavier duty trucks do not?

Last edited by seftonm; 01-09-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Dnepr68
New User
Originally Posted by seftonm
Does that make the Titan a better tow vehicle than a Peterbilt with the inferior C-channel frame?

i never sad that in my post.
is the C-channel frame better then fully boxed frame?
then why all of the 1/2 ton truck swithed to fully boxed frames??

Old 01-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Dnepr68
New User
Originally Posted by seftonm

Edit: I just noticed the Super Duty and medium duty Dodges (4500, 5500) only has a fully boxed front part as well. I guess the Titan would be a better choice than those two as well.

Nobody seemed to care about frames until Ford started advertising how strong the new F-150's frame is. C-channel has handled heavy loads for decades. Why do half tons suddenly need fully boxed frames when the heavier duty trucks do not?
if for some reason you are offended because I'm using Titan as an example,
I could use GMC, Chevy or Ford...... they all have fully boxed frames.

Quick Reply: 2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Unveiled