Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2007, 07:55 PM
New User

surf_ninja is starting off with a positive reputation.
97 ford f 350 Powerstroke, Won't Start

I acquired this truck two years ago and it worked great with the exception that on one occasion i went to start it, it turned on then shut down. I waited for 30 minutes before it started back up. On a second occasion i was driving when it suddenly just died. I again waited about 45 minutes when it started up again. Now again it started up then turned off and I haven't been able to start it up in the last two days. I have noticed that when it hasn't wanted to start the "wait""water in fuel" light cluster does not come on when I turn on the ignition. All the other instrumentation comes on with the exception of these. Anyone have this experience or can shed some light?
Thanks
Rick
97 Ford F350 7.3 Powerstroke, Automatic
Old 01-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Posting Guru

ltfox is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does it have a chip? Sounds like a symptom of a loose chip connection.
1994 F-250 PSD EC 4x4 5spd 4:10's, gutted ebpv, 3-4"Dp, 4"exhaust, HPX, TYMAR intake,1.0 a/r housing, 3pos TWildman chip
1996 F-250 PSD CC SB 4x4 5spd 4:10's 6oh intercooler, 3"dp and no more cat, Tymar intake & HPX, .84 a/r housing, 203* stat, 4pos Wildman chip!
Old 01-06-2007, 09:04 PM
New User

Yes, it has a bullydog 6 position chip. But I have had this problem happen twice before i installed this chip myself.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Playing in the Dirt

plowhand has a good reputation on FTE.plowhand has a good reputation on FTE.
Give us more information on what it is doing when it won't start so maybe we can help: Is the tach registering when you crank it? (If not, then you have CPS problems) Are you getting any smoke? If so what color? Is it spinning over fast when you crank it? etc. The more information that you can give, the better it will be for poeple here to help you.
95 F250, XLT, 2WD, 5 Spd, 4.10 l/s, SuperCab, Longbed. Beans Stage II's, Adrenaline HPOP, Wildman 6 pos. chip, SMF, Open air intake, EBPV gutted, SSX, downpipe, CAT gutted, shimmed FPR, GPR control switch, gauges (Pyro, Boost, AMPs, mechanical Oil Pres. & mech. Water Temp.)
02 F150 Super Crew, Lariat (Wife's)
81 Bronco with 460
Old 01-06-2007, 09:56 PM
New User

It has about 200rpms when i crank, it has no smoke coming out when i crank it, it is spinning over normal when i crank it. it rough idled when i started it last then it died, i tried to restart and it almost started. then after that the wts light and the water in fuel light wouldn't come on and now it just cranks normally but won't start. Temperature was in the mid 70s.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Posting Guru

Check all your fuses under the hood and under the dash.
1994 F-250 PSD EC 4x4 5spd 4:10's, gutted ebpv, 3-4"Dp, 4"exhaust, HPX, TYMAR intake,1.0 a/r housing, 3pos TWildman chip
1996 F-250 PSD CC SB 4x4 5spd 4:10's 6oh intercooler, 3"dp and no more cat, Tymar intake & HPX, .84 a/r housing, 203* stat, 4pos Wildman chip!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Post Fiend

fishmanndotcom is a name known to allfishmanndotcom is a name known to allfishmanndotcom is a name known to allfishmanndotcom is a name known to allfishmanndotcom is a name known to allfishmanndotcom is a name known to all
check your oil! had a buddy with your exact situation and his HPOP was low, it even cut out on him going down the road!

also if your oil is old, change it and add fresh clean oil to the HPOP. i find this solves more than half od the no-start problems out there!

-cutts-
Old 01-07-2007, 09:51 AM
New User

Checked all the fuses they are fine. Did need some oil so I filled it up but do not know what the HPOP is. Now that i crank it though my "water in fuel" "fuel filter" lights come on when i crank it where they didn't used to before. The only light now that does not come on is the "Wait to Start".
Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 AM
New User

Filled the HPOP with oil and still won't start. Wait to Start light still not coming on.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Posting Guru

Normaly when you have no "wait to start" light its a pcm power problem. Thats why I suggested the fuses. I would pull the chip and see what happens.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:51 PM
New User

Well Folks, She's up and running. I was about to take the pcm off but decided to hook it up to the battery charger. I set it on start and the wait to start light came on and she started right up. I cleaned the battery terminals on both batteries and am charging them. Thanks for all your help as for I have gained valuable information.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:31 PM
New User

I think I spoke too soon. After the charge I went back and again no wait to start light. Guess the PCM is next.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:31 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1994, 350, 73, 97, died, diesel, f350, ford, power, powerstroke, start, stroke, truck, won, wont