1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 Panel Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 05:31 PM
elektrafried
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
55 Panel Update

Threw a battery in today.Noticed there is a plastic coke bottle 1/2 full of gas with a 1/4" hose going to the fuel pump.Turned the key,solenoid clicked but nothing,took the wire going to the starter off the solenoid and quick-touched it to the cable going to the battery,wanted to weld.Looks like I'll be pulling the starter tomorrow.Took the coke bottle out and dumped it.Engine turns by hand.

Was supposed to take some pics for someone of the letter/paperwork holder behind the drivers seat,didn't get to it before dark.Sorry,will get it tomorrow,promise.

Lots of rust,looks like the frame is ok but will have to look closer.Cab floor,front cab shell (don't know the proper name) rear passenger door the bottom is completely gone.Hinges have not been welded,appear to be ok.Hood hinges not wanting to work but do.Inner fenders not attached and a bit crumpled,outer (front) fenders not attached to running boards.Looks like the back outer shell is ok,couple small dents in it.

Oh well,nothing good comes easy.

-Shawn

Old 01-06-2007, 06:11 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Hi Shawn, From the picture you have posted the truck looks pretty solid and I must say a lot more solid than what I started with, but once you start tearing into them it can some times be very discouraging, when I realized what I was up against I almost through in the towel. I'm glad I didn't because it's been the most enjoyable learning experience I've encountered. I did it different than most because I decided to work on the body rather than do the frame first, I figured what's the sense of having a nice frame and no body to put on it, this way if I ended up hacking up the body I'd know when to quit. Anyway, hang in there I know it will work out.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:45 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
Hang in there; you are one of the very few panel owners on this forum, so fix it up right.

Paul

'55 Panel (also)

Old 01-06-2007, 08:25 PM
elektrafried
Junior User
Originally Posted by theGman
Hang in there; you are one of the very few panel owners on this forum, so fix it up right.

Paul

'55 Panel (also)
That's why I'm starting under the hood,I want to get it running,brakes,tires and transmission because I'm going to have to let a body guy fix the floor.I don't want to mess it up trying to weld on it.I can do the nuts/bolts stuff. (fenders,hood etc.)

Old 01-06-2007, 08:27 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
I hope you weren't thinking that I was being discouraging, far be it I love this panels,I was inplying that once you get digging into them there can be a lot more rust than first anticipated and I hope he does not get to over whelmed.Sorry if I offened and I am pleased that there are quite a few panel owners on this site.

John

Old 01-06-2007, 08:34 PM
elektrafried
Junior User
Originally Posted by 56panelford
I hope you weren't thinking that I was being discouraging, far be it I love this panels,I was inplying that once you get digging into them there can be a lot more rust than first anticipated and I hope he does not get to over whelmed.Sorry if I offened and I am pleased that there are quite a few panel owners on this site.

John
No I didn't get that impression at all,I don't think I could get discouraged.I'm stoked,I've been wanting a panel for years.Someone else will get this truck in great shape,when I'm taking the dirt nap. :7)

Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
Dittos to the comments about being discouraged....it is a PIA, but worth it.
Hang in there....panels are rare nowdays.