360 or 390 Big Block

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:04 AM
tonyde
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
360 or 390 Big Block

I have a 1974 Ford F-350 Super Camper Special and it may or may not have the original motor in it. The plate that is supposed to be on the motor has been removed and I wanted to know how you can tell if it is a 360 or a 390? I know for sure that it is a big block. If any one knows of a way to tell other than the plate could you please let me know? Thanks

Old 01-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Hello- Welcome to FTE! I have moved your post to the specialized forum we have here for your question. Check out the list of tech forums we have on FTE. There is a wealth of information and expertise here to help you. Check the links at the bottom, and the menu bar at the top, of the page for more information and resources. Have fun!

Old 01-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Posting Guru
Pull the #1 and #4 spark plugs. Bring the #1 cylinder all the way to the top, which puts the #4 cylinder at the bottom. Insert a wooden dowel into the spark plug hole of #1 until it sits on the top of the piston, then twist the rod against the spark plug hole to mark it. Then do the same in the #4 cylinder, being sure to use the same "side" of the spark plug hole since they are angled. I always use the lower side of the hole (closest to the piston) to scribe the mark. Measure the difference between the two marks to determine the stroke.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:46 PM
tonyde
New User
Thanks, that will help. Do you happen to know what the 360 and the 390 stroke is?

Old 01-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
360 is 3.5" and the 390 is 3.78".

Old 01-04-2007, 02:42 PM
mswift
Senior User
BTW, the FE is not a "Big Block". That's a term them chivy boys use.....

Old 01-04-2007, 08:43 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mswift
BTW, the FE is not a "Big Block". That's a term them chivy boys use.....
I use it and i ain't no Chevy boy.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:32 PM
mswift
Senior User
Well if you use it to describe an FE, then you're plain wrong.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Well if you use it to describe an FE, then you're plain wrong.
You need to look at the Title of this section of the FTE Forum then.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:08 PM
OLESKOOL
New User
Thank you bear....LOL

Old 01-04-2007, 11:14 PM
mswift
Senior User
It's been debated in the past and the title of the forum has also been debated and has been suggested to change and leave out the BB reference.

Ford never has classified their engines as big/small block. Look it up for yourselves. But rather, Ford catagorizes them by engine series. I agree, a lot of people refer to them as B&S blocks. I say that's a bunch of BS.

'nuf said from my point of view and my opinion. I ain't trying to start no internet flames. Just purly stating facts.

Mike

Old 01-05-2007, 01:50 AM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
It's been debated in the past and the title of the forum has also been debated and has been suggested to change and leave out the BB reference.

Ford never has classified their engines as big/small block. Look it up for yourselves. But rather, Ford catagorizes them by engine series. I agree, a lot of people refer to them as B&S blocks. I say that's a bunch of BS.

'nuf said from my point of view and my opinion. I ain't trying to start no internet flames. Just purly stating facts.

Mike
I know everything you are saying is correct, but they just changed the name to the "FE Big Block V8" this last year, so don't say it doesn't happen (they call the 385 series engines Big Blocks too). But it is true Ford never called any of their engines Small or Big Blocks. But the general public does and everyone knows what they mean by it. And to hammer a guy over this minor thing is not necessary.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:20 AM
mswift
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bear 45/70
I know everything you are saying is correct, but they just changed the name to the "FE Big Block V8" this last year, so don't say it doesn't happen (they call the 385 series engines Big Blocks too). But it is true Ford never called any of their engines Small or Big Blocks. But the general public does and everyone knows what they mean by it. And to hammer a guy over this minor thing is not necessary.
If you look at my previous posts, no where did I mention that it doesn't happen. If fact, I did say that it DOES happen. I stated that I agree & that a lot of people refer to them as B&S blocks. I also have ackknowledged that a lot of forums on FTE have B & S in the titles.

And as far as hammering anyone one person, I don't believe I hammered anyone. I just stated a fact. Wasn't there a thread not too long ago and people getting all pissy about not stating facts and try not to throw false information out? If I recall correctly, weren't you a leading advocate of not throwing false info out?

My intention was to throw out a fact about Ford's engine series and not singling out anyone and criticizing them. That's the thing about this internet deal.....things get took out of contex when there are no expressions to go along with statements that are typed out. If any one of you knew me in person, you would know I am not a critical person.

Happy Friday everyone!

Last edited by mswift; 01-05-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
If you look at my previous posts, no where did I mention that it doesn't happen. If fact, I did say that it DOES happen. I stated that I agree & that a lot of people refer to them as B&S blocks. I also have ackknowledged that a lot of forums on FTE have B & S in the titles.

And as far as hammering anyone one person, I don't believe I hammered anyone. I just stated a fact. Wasn't there a thread not too long ago and people getting all pissy about not stating facts and try not to throw false information out? If I recall correctly, weren't you a leading advocate of not throwing false info out?

My intention was to throw out a fact about Ford's engine series and not singling out anyone and criticizing them. That's the thing about this internet deal.....things get took out of contex when there are no expressions to go along with statements that are typed out. If any one of you knew me in person, you would know I am not a critical person.

Happy Friday everyone!
What's happy about it? It started snowing about an hour and a half ago and shows no sign of letting up. Screws my day totally, as I can't even get off my hill to do anything. Of course, anything that I don't do today will wait till monday, or tuesday or wednesday......................

Last edited by Bear 45/70; 01-05-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What I wouldnt do for your troubles Bear LOL

Quick Reply: 360 or 390 Big Block