1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

98 4.0 performance upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 08:52 AM
spquint
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 4.0 performance upgrade

Hello guys has an one performed a cam swap for a 98 4.0? I have found two that Comp Cams has one for an OEM replacement and another that needs a chip and premium fuel.Also has any one found headers for this trunk other than JBA.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:11 PM
spquint
Freshman User
Hello everyone what I would like to get out was I first had a misfire fault for cylinder #3.Now this fault would clear but come back after a few weeks.I had first checked fuel pressure and it was fine.Then I performed an injector service and did a tune up.Then the truck ran fine for about 6 months.Then the fault came back again.This time I replaced swapped out the ignition module and still the problem was there.Next I replaced the spark plugs wires and this worked for a few weeks.Then the fault came back so next I removed the injectors and found that they were clogged.Now I live in Oregon and we have had some fuel problems.I went to check the spark plug and found that the porsolin was cracked and some pieces were missing.I hoped that they had worked there way out the exhaust because it is very hard to see in the cylinder with out a fiber optic scope.So I would replace the spark plug when the fault would come back.The at about 140,000 miles the light came back on so this time I reseales the intake and checked the syncro shaft.I found that the shaft had no trigger wheel left and the cam sensor had a hole in the top of it.So I performed all of this and the truck still ran rough.So ran I performed a leak down test and cylinder #3 was at 85%.I removed the bank#1 head and found that the cylinder head looks to be cracked between cylinder #2 and #3.So I have removed the tranny,transfer case and the engine.I checked both head and they both leak.So while I have the engine torn down does any one know of any performance upgrades or any ideas that I could do now the engine is out.I though that I could put a abit hotter of a cam in it and of course I will have the block hot tanked and honned.Thanks for any help that comes my way.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:31 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
The bama programer is one of the best bangs for the buck on a ranger, also an under drive pulley works good on the 4.0. You can find these and other performance bolt on's at www.jusnesmodified.com. As far as internal upgrades, check www.moranav6racing.com and www.supersixmotorsports.com. These sources should help you put together a nice 4.0.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
Right, the BamaChips tuner will definately be the best bang for the buck on your truck, and you get three custom tunes, that use ANY octane you want!! Even 87

If you want to mess with a cam, it would be best to get in contact with doug directly at bamachips.com

As far as the headers, it looks like only JBA makes them for your application as of right now.