New Jersey Chapter Join Chapter Leader: sddesigns

South Jersey Area Help on a Rebuild/Mod project?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 AM
hall442
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Jersey Area Help on a Rebuild/Mod project?

I have my father's 1978 f-100 pickup. She was on the road, til 4 years ago. I failed NJ inspection for a hole in the floorboard. Go figure. 4 years later, I can do a flintstones through em. *sigh* What I am looking for, is someone in the South Jersey area, who would be willing to barter a semi-restoration/rebuild situation. WITH cash, too. I am not a mechanic. I sorely wish I was. *chuckles*

Pop's truck needs body work. Basically, I would like to salvage what good body parts there are, and transfer them, and the motor (straight 6 out of an 85, with less than 50,000 original miles) to an extended cab or king cab frame, from 1978-79. I have a line on a couple of these. The front clip is good. The cab and bed are shot on Pop's.

Is there anyone around looking for a project? I am in Glassboro. I don't want this to sound like a freebie. I am looking to sell my 1999 f-350 king cab dually. It is a centurion conversion. It's a terriffic truck. I just would rather drive pop's truck. Call it nostalgia. But, it's a regular cab. I am a bigger sized guy. An exended cab would be great. a 4 door would be ideal. The straight 6 has MORE than enough power for what I need. Funny as it sounds, I don't need the huge, roaring motor. Of course, I still want side pipes on this one. I like the look and sound.

I also have odds and ends I have bought, towards fixing it. When my f-350 sells, I'll have a good chunk of change to invest in Pop's. Will it still BE Pop's, when all is said and done? i think so. He installed this motor himself. To me, that's the heart of the vehicle. And what body parts are salvagable. The front fenders, grill parts, doors. The cab and cowl are shot. Roof is gone, really. The bed needs new fender wells and a new floor. Not sure it it's worth salvaging, or just trying to find another.

Is anyone interested in a project like this? I am willing to assist in a learning capacity, too.

Last edited by hall442; 01-02-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Wanted to add more text.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the site.

It is against FTE rules to post this type opf Topic inthe forum.

No For Sale Topics.
This thread will probably be deleted soon .

Old 01-02-2007, 02:01 PM
hall442
Freshman User
?? Why? I'm not selling anything. I am asking for help. *shrugs* I don't want to sell my Pop's truck. I DO want to sell my regular one, but not on here. Yes, I do offer some cash, but who wants to do such a task for free?? I'd get NO reponses, I'm sure.

In short, I'm not SELLING anything. So there's no point in deleting my post.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
Welcome to the site.

It is against FTE rules to post this type opf Topic inthe forum.

No For Sale Topics.
This thread will probably be deleted soon .
Hmmm. Guess I missed it too...What's he selling? sounds like he's trying to find some help and some answers...... Geez...

Old 01-02-2007, 07:09 PM
nate_m
Junior User
at first i thought he was asking for help, but it sounds as if he wants to part it out? i was going to offer to weld a patch pannle in the floor, but if he's selling it i wount. ps, i should have contact info in my profile. i might be interested in something or other.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:21 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
I think Mil1ion means about him wanting to sell 99 truck. But on another note how did it fail inspection for hole in floor? Just put a mat over it. They won't know. I live in northern NJ so I don't think I could be much help to you. Honestly though from what you are describing if truck is as bad as you describe with roof and cowl gone why not just find another truck with no motor and swap motor. Quicker and cheaper. or get a standard cab/bed and put it on "pop's" frame. I guess if the motor is what means so much to you work around that. Not to be insulting or anything, but if 4 years ago the only problem was a small hole in floor that caused you to fail inspection that could have been fixed in a few hours instead of truck rotting away over four years.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Quote:Is there anyone around looking for a project? I am in Glassboro. I don't want this to sound like a freebie. I am looking to sell my 1999 f-350 king cab dually.

For Sale, Trade, Barter & Giveaway threads aren't allowed on the FTE Tech discussion forums.

Read post #2.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ease-read.html

Users CAN post these type of threads in the regional chapters

This is where it needs to be.

A person in LA isn't going to do this work swap for a person in say....,.. Florida.

This forum is mainly for Tech Questions for specific things about the 73-79 trucks

Last edited by Mil1ion; 01-02-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:31 AM
hall442
Freshman User
I certainly don't want to start and argument with any moderators. But for you to sit there and pick that one passing line, out of 3 paragraphs talking about my father's 1978 f-100, seems petty.

The post was about seeking help from someone who knows how to do this sort of work, and might be local to me. NOT about me looking for a buyer for my newer truck. I provided almost NO information on MY vehicle, and 3 paragraphs on pop's truck. So If you want to be that way, and delete my post for 1 sentence out of 30, go right ahead. I'm obviously then on the wrong boards.

To the individual who mentioned why did I let the problem set for four years, it's simple; NO MONEY. I have been scraping to survive, and this is the first point in the last 4 years that I have any extra cash to even THINK about something like this. There were times in the last few years I could have sold Pop's truck and used the money to pay bills and survive. But I didn't. I couldn't bear to part with her. She still starts and runs like a clock. It's a testament to the durability, I think, of the ford straight 6. Why did I get the f-350??? I got it cheap. Plain and simple. Having it to do all over again, I would not have. But hindsight is always 20-20, eh?

I'm looking for a retired mechanic. Or someone with time and patience, who likes old trucks and would be willing to have an idiot who can do wrench sizes and not a whole lot else, hang over their shoulder and LEARN how to do something like this.

To the other individual who mentioned dropping the engine into another truck, that is probably what will end up happenening. I am looking for another with a decent cab (extended or 4 door - rare in this year I understand-), and better bed. The front clip on pop's truck is pretty good. The tires are brand new. The wheels and hubcabs are original. I want to have used as MUCH as I can of the original vehicle, transferring it onto the NEW one.

Again, I'm in Glassboro, NJ. Anyone local to me read these boards? Need a project? Here it is. I'd like to work with you.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:28 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
I would pitch in and help if others contributed too. How quick are you looking into doing stuff. Found another truck yet? What kind of tools do you have available to work with? Torches, welder?

Old 01-04-2007, 08:27 AM
hall442
Freshman User
Hi! Thanks for the come-back.

It doesn't have to be TOO quickly. I've been patient a lot of years, to get to the point to be ABLE to do this. A few more months won't kill me.

Tools; I am willing to BUY a welder/cutter and GIVE it to the person who helps me. I'll have no use for it when the job is done. Not sure how necessary it will be, if I find a truck with a good cab. I mean, if I was going to use the body of THIS one, it would need all SORTS of cutting; cab corners, rear wheel wells, roof, etc. etc.

I have my eye on an extended cab 4x4. I don't know if the guy is willing to sell it, as I have not been able to get hold of him to this point. I would REALLY like to find a 4 door. But I understand they were mostly only government trucks. It was not as popular an option back then, as the 4 door pickup is today.

I do not have a garage to work on her in. I DO have all pop's tools. They need to be cleaned up, since he's been gone since 99, and I have not really USED them. I bought a big 3 story tool chest and just dropped all I could find into there.

I do have a buddy who is willing to assist too. He knows what he is doing. I, have no clue, really. I know what I would LIKE to do, but, not the feasibility of DOING it. lol.

I have bought electric window motor kits for it, new seats, and all sorts of odds and ends. I don't want to do a "restoration" , or a total modification; just make her driveable and comfortable. I'd like to put a tilt and telescope, out of a later model in her, if that's feasible.

(I would ALSO like to make it into a hard-top convertible. I've seen that done and really like it. But, that make be WAY over the line, I realize....lol!)

Thanks again!

Peace.

-Lou

Old 01-05-2007, 12:38 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
Well a 4-door hardtop convertible is a lot to do. But start small then work your way up I would say. Before anything you need to find a truck first. Pictures of both trucks would be helpful too. I can probably get some friends to help.