1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

What tool will remove this fuel filter cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 02:40 PM
jawmaw
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What tool will remove this fuel filter cap

This cap looks nothing like the one described in the manual. Anyone know what tool I need?

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2007, 02:50 PM
smuzz
Senior User
A half inch drive ratchet or breaker bar is what fits in it. Yours looks like it has been rounded pretty good. You may have to declare it a loss and hit one off the fins with a rubber mallet or try to grab it with a pair of pliers. Some new filters come with a new top filter while others just come with the filter cartridge. Most part stores will have a new top if you break yours. I have had to break a couple when people tighten it down to much. If I remeber right is is supposed to be at 15 foot lbs. The powerstrokeshop.com sells a wrench to fit them but I see no need in it.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:42 PM
jawmaw
New User
Thanks for the quick reply!!

Old 01-01-2007, 04:53 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You could also use the largest pliers you own to apply pressure to the ridges by opening the jaws as far as they will go and setting the pliers straight down against the top of the filter cover. With one leg of the pliers in each hand, apply a counterclockwise twist to the lid.
Think of it as setting a large capital "X" (the "x" is your pliers and the underscore is your filter lid) on top of the filter lid and grabbing the top 2 arms of the X and twisting.
I don't know how else to explain it, but it worked for me.
Sorry I don't have a digital camera to take a photo to show you.