Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2007, 12:23 PM
New User

tipdog7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just installed an Airaid over the Christmas break, haven't had a chance to check if it improved performance.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:41 PM
FTE *******

SpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark at DPPI
03POWERSTROKER,

Here's what you get with a AFE Stage II MEGA in PG7. Quicker spool up, lower EGT's, some HP and TQ. Potential MPG increase when combined with exhaust too! For those that say the stock intake is good enough explain this away for me. When I changed my 1st stock filter element at 8000 miles (not the 30,000 miles Ford/Donaldson tell you it's good for) I got 2-3 PSI boost increase. When I changed that one at 6000 miles to an AFE Stage I (all they built at the time) I got an extra 1-2 PSI boost pressure. Plus my EGT's dropped, and because I got PG7 I have no dirt getting by. So now I have 90,000 miles and have not bought a filter since 14,000 miles, ones that cost 45-55.00 each I might add so I am saving costs and providing more clean air and get a nice rush sound when you hammer on it as a bonus. How can I get that increase in boost PSI if the stock filters last so long and flow so well. The stock filter is designed for the stock HP of the truck at best just like the OEM's have always done. The fact that you can make 400+ HP with it doesn't mean it's a "best" part to have it just means it worked around the lower flow and still made good HP.

Mark @ DPPI

Mark @ DPPI
I have personally checked the intake vacuum on that truck, before we dynoed, to make SURE we were getting all available horsepower out of it. There was none, even at that power output level.

I'm a sponsor and have an equal financially vested interest in selling products as much as any of the rest; and granted we carry aftermarket filters too. With that said, I will make my opinion as direct and forthcoming as possible-

Aftermarket filters for the 6.0 are a waste of time, money, and excess dirt. At no power output levels that 99.5% of the general public will ever see are they needed, warranted, or will do any good whatsoever. We have dynoed plenty of trucks and see NO feasible gain on mild to moderately modified trucks, and in my personal experience I have never gotten a mileage increase from one. Simple matter of fact is that not ONE single aftermarket filter that lives up to the filtering efficiency of the Donaldson. The AFE is efficient; the Donaldson is more efficient.

Spend your money and time elsewhere.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Postmaster

Bob Ayers has a good reputation on FTE.Bob Ayers has a good reputation on FTE.Bob Ayers has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
I have personally checked the intake vacuum on that truck, before we dynoed, to make SURE we were getting all available horsepower out of it. There was none, even at that power output level.

I'm a sponsor and have an equal financially vested interest in selling products as much as any of the rest; and granted we carry aftermarket filters too. With that said, I will make my opinion as direct and forthcoming as possible-

Aftermarket filters for the 6.0 are a waste of time, money, and excess dirt. At no power output levels that 99.5% of the general public will ever see are they needed, warranted, or will do any good whatsoever. We have dynoed plenty of trucks and see NO feasible gain on mild to moderately modified trucks, and in my personal experience I have never gotten a mileage increase from one. Simple matter of fact is that not ONE single aftermarket filter that lives up to the filtering efficiency of the Donaldson. The AFE is efficient; the Donaldson is more efficient.

Excellent post Matt!!!!! We need more information like this to keep youngsters from throwing their money away on useless performance mods!!!
1981 Mercedes 300D
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1999 Ford Ranger 3.0L FFV 2WD
Photo Site: photos
Old 01-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Postmaster

Customz has a good reputation on FTE.Customz has a good reputation on FTE.Customz has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote of the day:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark at DPPI:
'and because I got PG7 I have no dirt getting by'

Last edited by Customz; 01-03-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Postmaster

blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:

Matt,

Another great post as usual.

06 F350 CC SB 6.0 4x4, Suburban Ford (Thanks Ernie )
“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 01-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Elder User

Mark at DPPI is starting off with a positive reputation.
PSD 60L Fx4,

Ok if the test showed no gains can you explain to me how I got 2-3 extra PSI of boost pressure when I replaced the 1st stock Donaldson at 8000 miles to see what would happen with a new Donaldson. And then at 6000 miles on the second Donaldson I replaced it with the AFE Stage I and got 1-2 more PSI again.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 01-07-2007, 10:40 PM
FTE *******

SpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark at DPPI
PSD 60L Fx4,

Ok if the test showed no gains can you explain to me how I got 2-3 extra PSI of boost pressure when I replaced the 1st stock Donaldson at 8000 miles to see what would happen with a new Donaldson. And then at 6000 miles on the second Donaldson I replaced it with the AFE Stage I and got 1-2 more PSI again.

Mark @ DPPI
Without knowing the conditions your Donaldsons were seeing, I most certainly cannot explain. For all we know, they were under dust and dirt conditions that most filters do not see. Simple matter of fact is that the Donaldson has more dirt holding capacity than any of the aftermarket filters- if you don't believe me, search this forum for more of these discussions- you will see links to solid independant testing, from people who have no vested interest in selling the product.

As far as the boost gain from the AFE, keep in mind that AFE relocates the Mass Air Flow sensor in the new tube. It is a well known fact that in the first stage two kits this sensor was located wrong and caused issues, to the point of setting the check engine light on some vehicles.

A Mass Air Flow sensor is calibrated to the diameter of the tube of which it is mounted (and likewise the position of the sensor mounting) and increasing the diameter of this tube like AFE does destroys the calibration of the sensor. Given that the tube is bigger, the velocity of the air at a given airflow is less, and the sensor would correspondingly read that there is less airflow than there actually is. The 6.0 uses this reading to determine a calculated Air/Fuel ratio; and correspondingly sets the duty cycle of the turbocharger to match the fuel delivery to obtain the correct calculated A/F. If it thinks it has less than the desired quantity of air, it will increase the turbocharger duty cycle to make up for it- which an increase in duty cycle will always result in an increase in manifold pressure.

This gain in boost pressure is NOT from "filter efficiency" as AFE and others like to claim, but because the truck is out of calibration and commands the boost increase. Until you can provide me with a datalog showing the boost increase at the same VGT duty cycle, I'll be sticking with my original statement.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Got Diesel?

Beachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to all
Matt... great post above... tried to leave some + rep points... but had to pass some around.

What a great post and explanation of why some of the "overboost" issues and why some aftermarket air intakes do not operate well or why there are "just issues" or lack of documented proof.

May need to make your post above a sticky... as it would answer many other people's questions about intakes and their questions about them????

Again... great explanation and I believe very hard for anyone to refute your analysis and understanding... but hey... I am all ears for some to give a rebutal!!!!!!
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer
BriteBox Headlight Module / Marinco AC Block Heater Plug
Old 01-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Senior User

03f350crew is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03POWERSTROKER
What is the best cold-air intake for the 6.0 diesel?
FORD!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Postmaster

mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03f350crew
FORD!!!
Yep, the one that came on the truck.

08 F350 DRW CC LB Lariet White
Stock

06 FLHX Black Cherry
Stock
Old 01-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Junior User

Desert_Dude is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:

But they SOUND SOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!

OLD: 2004 F350 CC 4X4 DRW 6.0, Edge Juice w/ Attitude Platinum
Old 01-09-2007, 04:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2007, 60, accufab, air, cold, diesel, elbow, for60l, ford, forums, intake, jobe, performance, power, powerstroke