1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 f100. Can the Original Steering Wheel be Moved??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 04:51 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terry I'm about 85% to the IFS at this time. I think the only IFS vendor for 57's is Fat Man Fabrications. Fortunately I am pleased with what I have seen of their product. I try to understand the theory of operation on anything I work on. By doing this it gives me confidence to try things most people would not. This said I am not a welder but I know that I can prep and fit everything to be welded. I know that I can properly locate and align the pieces. I will pay a welder to weld and I will fabricate. I would encourage you to read all you can on the IFS installation and theory of operation. When you understand this I believe you will feel confident enough to do this. Order the different vendors catalogs they all have theory and of course why they are better. Try www.fatmanfab.com lots of information. By the way NOBODY has even hinted that they felt good about the way the original suspension feels. Also I've tried losing weight and the IFS is definitely easier. You will probably spend more than the price of IFS trying to upgrade the straight axle.

Thanks Charles

Old 03-23-2001, 10:49 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts

orleck, I can appreciate your situation especially in relation to funding. I have a 53 with the original front suspension, and while it doesn't drive like a modern truck, it does ok. I have been considering an ifs, but it is no small project. Besides the work and money to install the suspension itself, there are lots of other components that I feel should be changed to make a total package that works together. You are going to have to change the braking system to match the disc brakes up front. This means expensive brackets/power boosters. Then you have to decide do you want to leave the m/c under the floor or move to to the firewall (on my 53), which may mean changing the pedal assembly. Then what do you do about wheels? The lug pattern is not going to be the same so you might as well change the rearend out while you are doing it.

Old 03-23-2001, 01:54 PM
darkknight
Senior User

Fellas, I loped the front suspension off of my '55 F100 and welded a camaro subframe to it. The subframe cost $75.00 and gave me the power brakes, power steering, A- frame suspension and sway bars all in one package. IT WAS SCARY welding it up. I measured again and again and I am tickled with the way it came out and the stance is killer. I used the article from Classic Custom Trucks to do it. I would have preferred using a mustang II set up but the costs were as different as night and day. I would not be afraid to do it again. That's my two cents worth!

Mike

Old 03-23-2001, 02:26 PM
darkman
Posting Guru

Franklin2

Are you saying that maybe I should give the old suspension a shot before I condemn it? I have never driven this truck or one like it. The comments I've heard range from "scary" to "it's a bear to steer" and some not fit to print. I certainly don't have a lot of money. With the 57 my master cylinder is on the firewall saving me money. I can make the adapter for a modern master cylinder and already have a new 66 Mustang master cylinder for front disc no power. For about $100 I can get the kit to put the large Ford truck disc on. I believe I can scrounge the junk yard parts pretty cheap. That would take care of the brakes, but it still leaves the ps and lowering. I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks Charles

Old 03-24-2001, 12:11 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts

If you are going to lower your truck a large amount, I wouldn't stay with the original axle. Any amount of lowering with the original setup leaves you with not very much room between the top of the spring and the frame. If you do lower it a little this means you have to restrict travel and this means a rough ride(rougher than stock). I took the two shortest leaves out of my truck, and it does ok but not ideal. And it didn't lower it enough for most people's tastes, judging from what I see in the magazines. Also, when lowering the original setup, the draglink from the steering box to the driver's side spindle, starts getting at too much of an angle. This leads to a insecure feeling in the steering when going over bumps(bumpsteer). But also, you have to realize what we are dealing with here, and a >40yr old truck is going to drive like a truck.

Old 03-24-2001, 12:20 AM
darkman
Posting Guru

Thanks for your input. This is one though decision. Tonight we discovered our original 57 272 is actually a 55 272! That makes me feel better about putting the 312 in it. When finished this truck will be driven daily. The IFS might win this WAR! Thanks again.

Charles