6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

5th Wheel Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 12:09 PM
mattebury
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th Wheel Hitch

I'm getting my new 6.4 (F350 KR long bed dually 4X4) at the end of January and I'm wanting to get a 5th wheel, so of course, I'll need a hitch. I've e-mailed Reese to find out when they would have one available and they have no idea because they haven't seen any of the measurements.

I could have sworn I saw someone post a link to the frame measurement guide but for the life of me, I can't find it. I want to forward that along to them.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Thanks & Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2006, 02:54 PM
magnus1
Freshman User
Old 12-31-2006, 02:56 PM
magnus1
Freshman User
Happy New Year! from Sweden

Old 12-31-2006, 03:40 PM
mattebury
Senior User
magnus1,

Your link does not work.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:05 PM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by mattebury

I'm getting my new 6.4 (F350 KR long bed dually 4X4) at the end of January and I'm wanting to get a 5th wheel, so of course, I'll need a hitch. I've e-mailed Reese to find out when they would have one available and they have no idea because they haven't seen any of the measurements.

I could have sworn I saw someone post a link to the frame measurement guide but for the life of me, I can't find it. I want to forward that along to them.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Thanks & Happy New Year!
I have a Pullrite and swear by it. They are a universal fit, and remove clean from the bed when not towing. You can put it back together in 15 minutes during towing season.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:22 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure that the measurements will be about the same. If you look in the directions for the reese rail kit they give you general clearence info. They are universal everything from a toyota to a one-ton. I just put my fifth wheel in my 03' on thursday and as long as you keep the center line of the kingpin in the same relationship to the centerline of th axle, you'll be able to install it. The measurements that reese gives you are the same for the 92' to 97' as well as the super duties my guess is it will be the same. If you need any help when you get to that point let me know. I've put the rails in my last 4 trucks, and for a few friends. I can do it with ma eyes closed now. Reese is the only way to tow in my opinion.

Last edited by yamaguy; 12-31-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:03 PM
mattebury
Senior User
I don't want to use the generic Reese mounting brackets as you have to drill holes into the frame and the dealer told me with the new hydro-formed rails that drilling into the frame would void the warranty. It's because it will weaken the frame and cracks will start to form from the drilled holes. Something unique about hydro-formed rails. They are lighter, but strong as all get out as long as they are not compromised.

So, I'm gonna wait until Reese comes out with a bolt-on solution. I just want to speed up the process cause I want to get a 5th wheel!

Old 01-01-2007, 12:47 AM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't know that reese made a bolt-on solution. I have always welded mine on. There are specs in the directions for that. I don't want to hear any of that "It's not good on the frame to weld them on because of the heat." In my opinion that's bs!

Old 01-01-2007, 05:09 AM
rimshoes
Senior User
re

do not know if you would be interested. B&W makes a "fifth wheel" hitch besides thier "turnover gooseneck" hitch. I do not know alot about this and do not know if it is a bolt on application. I have used the turnover for years and it is a bolt on application. They are usually one of the first to come out with the necessary hardware for new model trucks.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:00 AM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by mattebury
I don't want to use the generic Reese mounting brackets as you have to drill holes into the frame and the dealer told me with the new hydro-formed rails that drilling into the frame would void the warranty. It's because it will weaken the frame and cracks will start to form from the drilled holes. Something unique about hydro-formed rails. They are lighter, but strong as all get out as long as they are not compromised.

So, I'm gonna wait until Reese comes out with a bolt-on solution. I just want to speed up the process cause I want to get a 5th wheel!
No holes and no welding with mine. The plates fit over existing factory holes in the frame. But now that you mentioned a new frame, maybe the holes will no longer be there.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 AM
magnus1
Freshman User
Old 01-01-2007, 01:23 PM
mattebury
Senior User
I'm sure that Ford will keep the holes in the 2008 frame for 5th wheel hitches (it's just not knowing if they are in the same spots and measurements). With Ford touting that the 350 can pull an ~19k fiver, they be stupid not to. Can you imagine the outrage if they tell you you can't drill into the frame AND don't give you mounting holes?

As for Reese, they have two kits that use the pre-existing frame holes. One is for the standard in bed rail setup and the other is for rails underneath the bed (between the fame and box). With that one, you have four holes in the floor on the bed that the hitch mounts to. When the hitch is not in use, you just put locking caps in the holes.

I'm going with the standard in bed rails since I want to get an Easy Rider air hitch and it won't be compatible with the below bed rails until later in 2007.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:01 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you will find the information you need here...

http://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/...ngsessions.htm

Select the Body Builders Layout Book. Mind you it is preliminary.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 PM
mattebury
Senior User
Thanks PowerStrokeHD,

They show drawings of the frame, but not the dimensions / sizes between the hols that you'd use to attach the hitch.

I guess I'll have to wait until Reese comes out with their custom mount.

Man I hate waiting!

Old 01-05-2007, 12:57 AM
ok cowboy
New User
I tell you that the B&W is the way to go. The turnover ball gives you easy access to the bed and the fifth wheel option just slides in and locks the same as the gooseneck. My friend ran the rail system and likes it but now wishes he went ahead with the B&W it is a little more expensive but it bolts in easier than you think. The scarry thing was cutting the hole in the bed. I stressed over this for awhile before jumping into it and measured several times before using the hole cut saw. After I installed it I realized that you have about a 1/4 inch leway in each direction. Other than the hole in the bed there was no other cutting or drilling. It took me about four hours to install but it would not take that long again now that I know how to do it. Congrats on your purchase!

Quick Reply: 5th Wheel Hitch