Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Elder User

restoringmy46 is starting off with a positive reputation.
239 Flathead V8 Question

I'm thinking of buying a 1952 F1 as it has a flathead V8 in it. Here is the problem I facing with it. The truck does run or it did when he parked it. He said it run very good. When it idle's it has no noises, but when you give it some gas he said it has a little knocking sound to it. The oil pan is off of it know b/c he check the rod bearings. He said they check out fine. Then he said it might be the rod that runs the fuel pump. Could this be the slight knocking noise he is hearing. Then I had a guy tell me to check the water pumps. he said they could make a noise to. The truck only does this when you give it the gas not at a idle. I'm new a the flathead game right so I hope it is nothing major, b/c it does run good. What do you guys think it may be. Any help would be GREAT!! Scott
Old 12-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Did he check the center main as I find them to go on the Y's as well before the rods.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 12-31-2006, 02:13 AM
Post Fiend

mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
Scott, I'd put it back together and run it carefully until you can diagnose where the noise is coming from. It's really hard for anyone to diagnose something you've never heard and some third party is describing from memory. You got some good advice in the 48-60 column.

If it is the fuel pump push rod, it rides on a cam lobe. It could be the cause of a ticking sound, but I wouldn't classify it as knocking.

Also could be piston slap, wrist pin issues, valve sticking and being slapped by the lifter, etc. I've never heard waterpumps make a knocking sound...........

If it's any consolation, my merc flatty has had a ticking sound for the past 20,000 miles. Best of luck with it.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:10 AM
Senior User

R Pope is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like a wrist pin. Keep in mind that a flattie doesn't have big thick heads to muffle any minor engine sounds. Even a timing knock can sound like the end of the world. A rule of thumb is, if you can't hear it with the hood closed, don't worry about it. But check the timing.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:51 PM
Elder User

restoringmy46 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all the good advise. I will worry about it more when I get it home and can take a look at it. Thanks Scott
Old 12-31-2006, 09:51 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6

Tags
239, 51, engines, flat, flathead, ford, fordomatic, head, noise, oil, pump, shooting, sound, ticking, trouble, v8, water