Oil passage blockage

Old 12-29-2006, 04:34 PM
AussieDrew
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil passage blockage

I have a HD 292, which I think would have been made for a F100 truck between 1960 - 62. They were imported into Australia as new engines to be used in power boats because of their lower profile and higher low rev torque. Perfect for wooden clinker hull skiing boats of the time. The boat was built in 1962. I'm currently doing some research before restoring the boat.
Questions:
  1. Am I correct with the F100 assumption?
  2. Has anyone got a workshop manual for sale?
  3. Oil pressure is good, plenty of oil along the RHS cam shaft, no oil on the LHS shaft. I have removed both heads. Whilst cranking plenty of oil spurts out the RHS block but nothing from the passageway in the LHS. Is it a blocked passage way and if so any solutions without having to remove the sump? In the boat removing sump = taking engine out of boat!
  4. If sump is to come off, other places to look for blockage?

Old 12-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Gary B
Senior User
with heads on i used to screw grease zerk into feed hole in head and use grease gun to force blockage back. but problem could be a turned cam bearing thus blocking the passage in the block. there used to be outside oilers avaliable to feed the rocker arms externaly.(from a tee at the oil pressure sender the best i remember.) Gary

Old 12-29-2006, 08:14 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AussieDrew
I have a HD 292, which I think would have been made for a F100 truck between 1960 - 62. They were imported into Australia as new engines to be used in power boats because of their lower profile and higher low rev torque. Perfect for wooden clinker hull skiing boats of the time. The boat was built in 1962. I'm currently doing some research before restoring the boat.
Questions:
  1. Am I correct with the F100 assumption?
Nice use of tags. Don't see that much.

I don't think they used the HD 292 in F-100.

The oil passage takes a 4" detour under the head gasket. You might try pulling that head off and seeing if it's gummed up.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:25 AM
f700
Senior User

Hi just check your cam bearing that feeds that side , it mite have turn which will block your oil to LHS side check number 3 cam bearing
yes i have a work shop manual ,
ford & mercury
500-800 series
shop manual
and you guess it not 4 sale
but ask me what you want ok i have had a y for 8 years now has my everday ride

Last edited by f700; 12-30-2006 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cam bearings didnt turn or it wouldnt oil the other side.tap the hole and screw in a greese nipple and forse grease through it.you should be able to tell when it lets go.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:41 PM
f250red
Senior User
I have a 292 dearborn marine conversion,used the C2AE block[62-64 truck],and 5752 heads.I am going to put it in a 54 F250 RED

Old 12-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Homespun91
More Turbo
I'm always a little jumpy about tapping anything on the internals of an engine. If you feel the same, you can modify an extra rocker stand, or cut a small piece of steel plate & drill & tap it, bolting it to the head. Anyway, it should work OK either method. You may have to work at it for a while but you should be able to feel the grease "give" or "pop" as it clears things out.

I'm doubting that the bearing turned, but it is possible that it overheated & partially melted. If the grease trick doesn't work, or you pull the heads & the passage seems OK, I would look at the bearing at that point.

The HD292 should be '61-'64. Never heard of one being factory installed in any of the lighter trucks, but with Ford it's all possible. It's normally in bigger stuff only. For the most part it's similar to any other 292 Y so far as tuning & general procedures. The rods, pistons, & crank (& a few other things) are somewhat different, which needs to be kept in mind for rebuilds.

The shop manuals are still available from any of the major vendors, or I believe that MotorHaven (owned by FTE) carries them as well. Dunno about shipping Down Under but I'd imagine most/all of the parts vendors will do it, for the usual $$$$$.

If you do end up pulling the oil pan, I'd verify that the pickup is cleaned of junk, along with the return passages, clean out the oil filter plate (or whatever adapter is there), clean the pan & rocker covers....you know, the usual stuff...& replace the pickup joint seal.

Seems sometimes like there is more Y-powered boats surviving in OZ than are still in the U.S. I've only seen one here personally that still keeps its 292(s), though the parts are fairly common on the U.S. eBay.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
everyone is missing the fact that he pulled both heads.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:30 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 312
everyone is missing the fact that he pulled both heads.
D'oh!

The grease zerk idea makes sense.

Old 01-01-2007, 04:38 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Both head to block passages plugged on my 272. I put a T fitting at oil sending unit to have use of the oil presser gauge. Ran hose from T to back of engine and installed another T fitting. Drilled holes in valve covers to push hoses in tightly. Put hoses on out flow tubes of new rocker assembly and drove from Colorado to Prince Rupert BC with no problems what so ever. Did have to install a valve in line to turn down pressure as it would fill the rocker covers completely. I have a set of covers with the tops opened up to give me access to valve adjustment and to see how much oil is in the covers. This is basically the kit That was and may be still available for this problem. 7 years later the system is still working and the engine is still running as well as It ever did. No oil leaks where hoses go into covers as I drilled them a little smaller than the hose to create a good seal. Hope this is of help an Happy New Year

Old 01-02-2007, 12:55 PM
AussieDrew
New User
Thanks to all who have helped me so far: Gary, pc, f700, 312, f250, homespun, arctic. When I can get back to the engine I will try the grease. I had already done something similar with compressed air, so hopefully the grease will work. Otherwise I will resort to the external kit.

Homespun: could you please help me further:
The Ford range of trucks, as you know them, were not common in Aust and so I'm ignorant of the various models. I was guessing at the F100 model. Which are the lighter models and which are the heavier ones? Which truck would my engine probably have been in if it was in a truck? I have also been told the lighter duty version was used in cars, is this correct? Again the Ford range in Aust has always been completely different to Nth America, so what model car would it have been?

In my engine's case it was exported to Aust on its own. That is not in any vehicle. Therefore I don’t know what would be the best model to buy (for the workshop manual) in order to get the best engine info. Can you help?

The blessing is that parts are available over here, just no information!

Tx
Drew

Old 01-02-2007, 06:34 PM
f250red
Senior User
oil passages

Aussi-Drew Dearborn marine built the Dearborn Interseptor marine engines based on Y-blocks,272-292-312. My 292 block c2ae is 62-64 vintage,the heads are 5752. not much info available on line about dearborn marine as they are out of business. Dearborn used the block & heads but, all the rest of the parts were dearborn marine conversion. they were probally built on what block was available at the time.there are web sites that identify parts by number as to year and application.if that engine was in a truck,it was probabaly riding in back.
good luck RED

Old 01-03-2007, 03:45 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AussieDrew

The Ford range of trucks, as you know them, were not common in Aust and so I'm ignorant of the various models. I was guessing at the F100 model. Which are the lighter models and which are the heavier ones? Which truck would my engine probably have been in if it was in a truck? I have also been told the lighter duty version was used in cars, is this correct?
The 292HD was used in medium truck roughly 61/64 here. Anything above F-500 usually received the 302/332 truck engines. The 292HD had forged crank and rods.

F-100/250 is a pickup truck (light duty)
F-350 is usually a light duty dual rear wheels
F-500 is medium duty
F-600/ is heavy duty

Old 01-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Homespun91
More Turbo
What he said. ^ I have run across them now in F-450s & up; looking to salvage one out of a F-600 in a few weeks. My personal take is that they are more common in the '61-up big trucks than the 302/332s, but I have no idea as to production figures & it may be only my perception. Anyway, here's the manuals: http://www.vintageford.com/sect_sear...w=21&PageNum=2

To get rebuild specs, 09300-61 or 09300-64 would work; not certain what that particular 09300-62 supplement has in it, possibly no or few specs. Of course you can get the manuals wherever you like, but here's some pictures of what to look for.

Even if it is not a HD292, & is actually a conventional 292, the books will cover it.

A true '61-'64 HD has the forged crank; stronger rods with more material around the big end of the rods; (all Ford Y rods are forged that I'm aware of, but the C1TEs are stronger. However, most rods tend to break in the center beam area anyway...), different pistons with an increased compression height; 7/16" stem sodium-filled exhaust valves; exhaust seats; & something else which escapes me right now.

The big thing to be aware of about them is the rod length. A true HD has rods that are shorter (same length as the 312 ECZ rods) to allow for a taller piston. What this means is that if you order regular 292 replacement pistons meant for a std. 292, they will be at least .072 in the hole at TDC, leading to possible detonation, or at the least, much lower compression. There may be someone out there who still carries HD-specific pistons, but I haven't seen them.

The easiest solution to this is to bore the block .050 & use std. 312 pistons (making the engine a 312), or whatever bore you want that will work with a common 312 oversize. It never hurts to sonic check the block, (& I'm a believer in it), but just about any Y can take a .050 overbore without harm, except possibly some original 312s.

Alternatively you could have custom pistons made to suit the HD rods & smaller bore size....or, just use regular 239/256/272/292 rods & sell the C1TEs to a 312 guy who's looking to build a hot rod.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:13 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Morning Homespun91. Help me to understand this. If I bore a 292 standard block 50 over than I can use 312 pistons? But as I would use the 292 crank it won't be 312 CID or will it. I thought a 312 crank would also be needed. And if so, what CID would i have. Thanks Tricky

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil passage blockage