1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Snow White or Zip's risor waterpumps?

Old 12-28-2006, 09:22 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Snow White or Zip's risor waterpumps?

I am thinking about using either Snow White or Zip's risor waterpump setup. Has anyone been down this road? Snow White makes risor castings for Ford or cxxxy motors. To my knowledge Zip's makes the setup just for cxxxy. Typically at least in the earlier trucks the sbc waterpump sits low relative to the top of the radiator such that the fan centerline is significantly below the center of the radiator. Many go with the electric fan option to insure that the airflow cools the top of the radiator. Using the risor pump castings, the fan centerline moves up 5 to 6 inches from the sbc stock position. On my 49 with the sbc as currently installed the centerline of the stock pump comes up 4 1/2 inches from the bottom of the stock radiator core ( too low IMHO for the stock engine driven fan setup)). The stock core height is 21 1/2 inches. With a 5 inch higher waterpump centerline the fan centerline would be 9 1/2 inches above the bottom of the core or 1 1/4 inches below the center of the stock core
Anyone with experience with these setups out there?

Old 12-29-2006, 07:04 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Will,

I find it hard to believe that you actually need to raise the fan that much. I don't remember exactly where my mechanical clutch fan ended up in relation to the radiator but I was very satisfied with the placement. It was high enough that it cleared the bottom hose easily and was just slightly below the center of the radiator. Of course, I'm using a 75 Dodge truck radiator which is shorter than the original but still has a 3 gallon capacity which is more than adequate. Mine has idled up to 40 minutes in the garage and never went over 180...and that's without a shroud. If it were my truck I'd use an electric fan before I went to a ZIP's setup but I'm finding the mechanical fan quite adequate.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:41 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Thanks for the reply Vern. I may use the Dodge radiator as well. I am setting Willard up to tow so I want the best cooling that I can get and I do like the simplicity of the engine driven fan. I want to try to use a fan shroud as well. The other consideration is that the Zip's setup which is an aluminum casting and is supposed to be readily polished (by yours truly) includes mounts for the altenator and for a Sanden 508 compressor. I am going to install AC and have a 508 already.
Could you measure where your stock sbc waterpump shaft centerline is relative to the top and bottom of the Dodge radiator core? Could you also measure the core width? I know that ther are several different 70's Dodge truck radiators sold. I think that the position of our engines relative to the top of the frame rails is about the same.

Last edited by 49willard; 12-29-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:35 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
I'd love to help you out with the actual measurements but my truck is stored for the winter and I can't get to it now. The shaft centerline is pretty close to the middle of the radiator but a little left of center since I offset the engine two inches to the passenger side. The core dimensions of the radiator I have are 18x22 inches. I don't have the flange to flange width right now but it fits easily within the stock core support. I bought mine from www.completeradiators.com. It's a heavy duty 3-row. I have the part number somewhere but I can't put my fingers on it right now. I also like the simplicity of a mechanical fan. There are some pictures in my gallery with the radiator installed but none from the fan side so I don't know how much they would help. My plans were to add a shroud later if necessary but so far I haven't seen the need. I did take some extra steps to close off the sides and bottom of the radiator to force the air through it. I also modified the air shield in the hood to fit the Dodge radiator to keep air from going over the top.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:05 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Vern, given where my sbc sits in the chassis and given the measurements on the dodge truck radiator, my stock waterpump centerline would end up about 5 inches up from the bottom of the 18 inch tall core. With the Zip's pump setup I would be almost 2 inches above the core centerline. I think that I am going to go for the Zip's pump setup.
From the pix in your gallery, it looks like you are using the long pump with the radiator set in the 6 cylinder position. Is that correct?
Thanks for your replies.

Anybody else out there used either the Snow white or Zip's waterpump?

Old 12-30-2006, 06:07 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Will, your engine must be mounted considerably lower than mine. I purposely mounted mine high enough to position the fan in the center of the radiator since I am not an electric fan fan (pun intended). I did use the long water pump and set the radiator core support in the 6 cylinder position. Those ZIP's setups are pretty pricey. I think you would get more bang for your buck with a quality electric fan if a mechanical fan won't work.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:06 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Vern, The price of the Zip's setup is more than a good electric fan however it gives me the AC mount and the Altenator mount all in aluminum which will polish up for a little bling, and, I am not an electric fan fan. I set my sbc about as low and as far back as I could retaining all of the stock sheet metal i.e. firewall and trans hump cover (I am running a 700R4). I have not ordered it yet, I was hoping that someone else on the forum might have some experience to offer. The Zip's setups are very popular with the 30's Ford streetrod builders running the sbc..

Last edited by 49willard; 12-30-2006 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:24 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Will,

There's nothing wrong with BLING! I love BLING! I'm running a TH350 so maybe I was able to mount mine a bit higher. The 700-R4 is a larger transmission. I also retained the stock firewall and transmission cover. If I remember correctly the ZIP setup uses a Chevy 6 cylinder water pump. I've never used one but I've seen them. Maybe you could visit the HAMB site briefly and see if you get any response there.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:38 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Vern, I followed your suggestion and visited the HAMB site and did get some more info. I am still looking for someone with experience in more demanding cooling situations such as towing 5000# and running the Zip's waterpump risor setup. Popular use of the Zips setups seem to be on 30's fords. Anybody else out there?