1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Window track replacement on my 53

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:30 PM
sgtrwg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window track replacement on my 53

Getting ready to replace the window tracks and the passenger door window on my 53 and am wondering just how difficult a job it might be. I figure that someone out there has done this a time or two and might just have some tips will save me time and unnecessary agrivation. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:20 PM
F100Central
Junior User
It's pretty easy. Patience is the name of the game when doing window channels. If something isn't going right, don't force it. I had problems popping my anti-rattle strips in and keeping the clips on. It was just because the place where the clips pop in was bent in and wouldn't let the clips go in the holes in the door all the way. I just didn't notice it at first because it's down in and hard to see. Perfect example of using patience and finesse, rather than smashing them in.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should have a Shop Manual to tackle that job. They have excellent instructions and are indispensible for most jobs on our Effies.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto on what has already been said and I would add the following:

Presuming that you are going to install new windows, the easiest way to get the channels off the glass is to warm them with a propane torch and use some type of pry starting on one side to the other. When reinstalling the new glass, use new rubbers on the glass bottoms plus some silicone sealer. Otherwise they may come out. Also, it is critical that the glass be centered in the channel front to back. I installed one too far forward once and the action of the window was very hard to crank. Good luck, jag

Old 12-29-2006, 11:43 AM
sgtrwg
Senior User
Thanks a bunch for the info, the shop manual was on my what I would like for Christmas but it didn't show up under the tree. I plan on just taking my time and certainly will refrain from large hammers and the like type of tools.

Hope everyone has a very Happy New Year....

Bob G