Whatcha' been towin'?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:59 PM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IcemanV8
That's one hell of a thing to tow. What 4-speed did it have? A T-18/19?
Towing was hairy at times, but not nearly as scary as loading and unloading when we were first doing it. Jumpy combine clutches,
"walkin the line" with the wheels that just barely! fit on the trailer deck. Usually we hauled 'tail first' ... keeping the steering
axle in line by looking through those little mirrors while dealing with the nose heavy weight transfer, especially with a 3-row corn head,
gave a good adrenilan rush quite often. As we progressed I added winches to the trailers, making the whole process a LOT safer.

Then there was the time we broke a ****** block and stood a Gleaner with a grain head (like in the picture) right on it's nose!
It sort of stood there, then slowly tipped back, hitting on the rear wheels in a cloud of soybean dust!
The guy that was driving had to check his shorts after that ride ... me too, I was controlling the winch .

Which 4 speed? Honestly I'm not sure. I know we were wearing out the bearing mount and thrust surfaces on the cast iron cases
of the manual transmissions in our early (mid to late '70's) towing trucks. That's one of the reasons, among many, that I switched
us over to using C6's when I started buying the trucks for the Research Department.

You can bet I never did purchase a truck with an aluminum cased 5 speed for that kind of work!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:12 PM
TLindquist
Senior User
This is my Keystone Fuzion 302 (35') toyhauler. 2 slides and 10' garage.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:36 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whatever will fit in the trailer lately. on this day i had some concrete block i was transporting.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:52 PM
sublimecharger68
Senior User
I have had many thing on the old car trailer and she's done quite the service to me.

some the highlights are. the namesake for my user name just took her first turn on the trailer. had to have the tranny replace. My cousin whos in an auto tech program did the work for me.

Moved 2 sheds with it this summer,
I only have this pic and it was the bigger shed,

brought home a load of Barn Boards from the In-laws old milking barn that I helped tear down due to a crumpling foundation. The Boards are gonna make up the inside walls of grandma's garage as soon as I find time to work on it. for now there stacked from floor to ceiling along the wall.

took some of formentioned barn board's and made side rack's out of them and now I have a Heck of a wood hauling trailer for when i really want to bring the fire wood home.

Shes done some ATV hauling for going up to Northen WI for Trail rides.

Plus lot's more that I don't even have Pics of.

but there's what my trailer's hauling

sublime out.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:58 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
sublime,
are those two cheby's in front of those trailers in your pictures?...you do realize this is a FORD forum!

jk...

Old 11-06-2008, 02:27 PM
sublimecharger68
Senior User
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
sublime,
are those two cheby's in front of those trailers in your pictures?...you do realize this is a FORD forum!

jk...

Yes I know, the First Chevy was my Uncles, in the Shed Moving process, da wife lead in her 97 Explorer and I trailed in my 78 F 150 with a load of misc boards from that shed to be put back on when they shed got to its new home.

My 78 F150 does fine pulling the trailer when it's just the Trailer but you start adding weight to it it becomes more than the F150 want's to handle/stop.

Then second Chevy is a buddy that was also on that ATV trip there was 5 of us in the truck for 4 hour ride to get where we went trail riding. Crew Cabs are nice for that.

the trailer is rated for 10K so she can handle a load its just that the f150
wont handle the trailer with a heavy load. I did pull the trailer back with the load of barn boards on it, "20 Miles" did a load of wood this last weekend also. "6 miles"

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD that also gets used for when the trailer is going to have a big load.

I know its not very nice to say but the truck's I can use to pull the trailer are
78 F150,
02 Chevy 2500HD
so that being said yes I due drive the Chevy when the trailer load requires the bigger truck to handle things safely or Long haul where I'm on the highways.

So far the Trailer has hauled lots of Ford Rangers. My 87 with the 5.0 2x when its broke home.

The Little Brother's 88 Rocking Rusty Red Ranger 5x,
1x for a wreck he slid into back of a caddy on interesate on way back to college, 5 hour trip
2x when altentor died on way to college 3 hour trips
1x on way to visit Girl Friend Drive shaft broke 4 hour trip
1x when clutch went out.

so that a chevy pulling the trailer hauling a ford, Makes it about even. I guess.

ok sorry to ramble on so long.

so far no Dodge has pulled the car trailer
though my charger just took its first ride on it.

sublime out.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:29 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
sublime,
Do you think we should let this infraction slide? Might need a poll on that.

Very nice Road and Track Charger sublime. Too had about the trucks.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:51 PM
sublimecharger68
Senior User
I can post up pics of both the ranger's if it'll get me back in the good graces here, I just dont have them on the trailer,

I I did haul a Ford 700 "I think" tractor this summer on the trailer. though I pulled that load with the chevy truck also, darn it.

any way the tractor was a small like 20HP deisel with a loader and mower and rear tiller and 6ft blade. It was quite the load. Thanks good for tilt decks, Back the tractor and 3pt Tiller all the way up the front unhook tiller chain that down. Go back and put the 3pt mower on tractor. Load blade into bucket crossway's, drive tractor back up on trailer raise bucket over the tiller on front and I only had that back trailing wheel of the mower hanging off the back of the trailer. Chain it all down somehow. Follow my Yahoo directions to some farm about 1.5 hours away and unload everything for the new owner who paid with paypal in advance and easy way to Make $150, Cost me $38 in gas to fill truck back up and wife went along so we stop and had supper on the way back home.
she's happy, I'm happy,

well I still had to drive a chevy. but all in all

any way I got to drive the charger Home yesterday so it was a great 20 mile trip first thing in the morning. I had a great day at work cause I could look out into the parking lot and there she sat just waiting for me to leave

when I left work I drove it 2 more blocks and put the old girl back into winter storage.
darn it. I really wanted to go for a drive but the its only got rear brakes and the power steering pump leaks like a sieve. Ahhh more on the spring todue list before I can drive the car every day. But shes been sitting since Fall of 06 with a shot tranny so to be able to have it move under its own power is exciting for me.

but I drove the F150 today so does that help my cause at all?

sublime out.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:51 PM
rob460
Freshman User
Pic's

I KNOW I'M BUT CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST A PIC OF MY RIG . ANY BODY ,HELP THANKS

Last edited by rob460; 11-06-2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 11-06-2008, 03:04 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rob460
I KNOW I'M BUT CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST A PIC OF MY RIG . ANY BODY ,HELP THANKS
You have two choices.

1. Create a gallery here on FTE. You'll find that in the User Control Panel. Once you have a gallery, put the picture in it, and then the gallery controls will give you the code to insert in your post.

2. Create an account on photobucket.com or similar site. Then insert a link to the photo.

3. Turn off your CAPLOCK key.

It's not easy to actually upload a file into your post, and you cannot do it anyway until you have a higher post count.

Good luck

Old 11-06-2008, 05:03 PM
rob460
Freshman User
Thanks for the info

Old 11-06-2008, 05:24 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This was from a year and a half ago... still hauling that rig around several thousand miles a year

Old 11-06-2008, 08:32 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
Ive pulled a john deere 3020, a 4020 and 19 800lb round bails in the last two months.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:51 PM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by F6Guy
Ive pulled a john deere 3020, a 4020 and 19 800lb round bails in the last two months.
You do really need to work up a signature photo to show off what you're pulling these loads with. Most impressive.

I've always wished I could justify restoring an old truck so I could make it work like that. Clyde is as close as I'm likely to get.
I spent many hours riding with my Dad in an old F-6 just like that except it was a bright yellow 2,000 gallon tanker that said
"Shell" on the sides. In the summer with no school I rode may days and we spent some great hours together.

I imagine you really get that old flathead 'bellerin' pulling those loads. Two-speed axle I hope?

You will get that front fender fixed ... right?

Old 11-07-2008, 03:01 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
im not sure how to put a picture on my signature, but thank you for the compliments. I was thinking the same about your rig. one of my high school buddys had one that was blue with a 6.9 and four speed. really nice truck you have there. I am planing on painting the truck red next year, it all depends as im also wanting to build a 255 engine and I wont be able to do them both in the same year. The little 239 does make some noise I am going to try and put a video on you tube. Its got a t98 four speed and an eaton two speed rear. I picked up a spicer 5831 series 3 speed aux. trans with a .74 OD I will be installing very soon.

Quick Reply: Whatcha' been towin'?