1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Intercooler exchange on 97 PSD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 01:14 PM
xtrmbkr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler exchange on 97 PSD?

Hi guys. Went from a 77 f-150 2wd mint to a nice 97 F-250 ext cab short box. 5 spd with 180,000k. Couple of questions. It seems as though the old man who had this before did some performance mods to question. turbo back exhaust that I think is stock size but eliminated flattened down pipe, cat, muffler. sounds nice and runs good. not sure, but think there has been some type of mod on computer. no chip to speak of, but a sticker that says the cpu has been chipped and you can definately tell there has been some kind of work on cpu. I know a little about black smoke! Okay so how would a person tell, and then I need to know about intercooler exchanges. What will work with this truck. Someone told me that this is the econoline pSD. will an intercooler and hoses work from a 99-2003 PSD?

Old 12-25-2006, 01:23 PM
xtrmbkr
Junior User
Sorry for newbie stroker questions...I'll reciprocate with any questions about 335 385 and fe series engines LOL...Whats this about shimming the fpr? also what are some quick changes on the PSD for improvements.. Turn the air filter cover upside down??? anyway help a PSD newbie become educated.

Old 12-25-2006, 03:45 PM
ben97
Senior User
I think the easiest and most cost effective way to get an intercooler for you truck is buy buying a 6.0 intercooler of fleabay and getting the pipe kit from Banks.
You can shim the FPR with a bb or you can spend about $30 at ford and buy a kit with new parts which is what i did.
And get rid of your stock air box, it is prone to leaking and letting dirt inside, call Dale at Tymar, or make your own with a NAPA filter #6637
Have fun!

Old 12-25-2006, 04:09 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
The FPR Shim is quick and easy get a 3/16 inch ball bearing from a bearing shop near you, mine cost me .09 pull the 19 mm brass plug carefully off the side of the FPR when you slowly remove it there will be a spring similar to that in a ball poin pen only stronger, remove that, then put a pencil magnet in the hole and out will come a chunk of metal that is difficult to describe, in one end there is a hole, the ball bearing fits (tight with 3/16) down the hole. Seat it at the bottom with a punch or something to that effect, replace everything back the way it came, the ball bearing puts just a little more tension on the spring and you are set with more fuel pressure to the injectors. This is important because it insures that your injectors bet refilled to the max capacity when you are dumping fuel into the engine. (simply put)

Old 12-25-2006, 04:18 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
6637 napa or 46637 wix filter, 4 " 45 degree exhaust pipe, three heavy duty hose clamps that will fit around the above items, and a rubber coupler,(I used a Fernco flex coupler out of the plumbing section at lowes there are two kinds get the more expensive one, 5 bucks or so. pull the stock air filter box and stock flex hose back to the reducer mounted to the bracket that is attached to your valve cover bolts. cut the exhaust pipe so that the air filter sits in the same spot the box did, make sure to give enough clearance for the hood hinge to get past the end of the filter use the hose clamps to secure the filter to the exhaust pipe, and the coupler to close the gap from the exhaust to the stock intake pipe. I used a sawzall to cut the exhaust pipe and used silicone on all of my joints for a sure seal. Make sure the pipe and inide of filter are clean from metal shavings. Have fun

Old 12-25-2006, 06:24 PM
xtrmbkr
Junior User
thanks guys...Great info! I like the napa filter idea. BKCOWBOSS...will a crossman bb work?...Also, the reason I ask about the intercooler is because I know a guy selling one with intercooler , flanges, piping etc for $100. Deal? Also I was thinking maybe the previous guy put an edge programmer, bulydog something...one that just downloads throught OBD II..Am I screwed when I go to take to dealer if ever? And will the 10K mod work with a programmed truck and the BB in the FPR?

Last edited by xtrmbkr; 12-25-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:43 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
I am not sure when you pull out the metal plug if it drops in you are good if not it is to big. Don't get it stuck part way or you you won't get it out, but I think it is about the right size, a little loose is no big deal, but stuck in the beginning of the hole you gotta buy a new set of insides. And the FPR serves to increase the effectiveness of performance programming, can't help you out with your other questions, sorry.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:53 PM
xtrmbkr
Junior User
that scares me when bkcowboy doesn't know the answer

Old 12-25-2006, 10:54 PM
xtrmbkr
Junior User
is $100 dollars cheap for intercooler and piping? and how would one make it work.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:18 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes $100 is a good price. It about on par for what they are selling for. Here is a good link to show you how to install and IC
http://members.localnet.com/~boys3/

As far as the chip goes. if the sticker is a ford sticker then its just a ford reprogram that is concerned with emissions or drivability and not performance. If the computer is programed with a performance tuner and you don't ahve the tuner your up a crick since you can't remove the program with out having the whole PCM reporgrammed.

Doesn't really matter as far as Ford is concerned since your not under warrantee any more so they don't care what you do to your truck.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:05 AM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by xtrmbkr
that scares me when bkcowboy doesn't know the answer
you better be scared alot then.......lol cause that happens alot, I have never measured the out side diameter of a bb, if it is less that 3/16 you are good. good luck

Old 12-26-2006, 09:07 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

A BB won't fit if I remember correctly.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:38 PM
xtrmbkr
Junior User
okay,...used a bb, and it seemed to fit okay. However I'm not sure I noticed a difference. who knows. I will work on cleaning the screen between regulator and bowl and fixing the clutch prob I have with 3rd gear. I'm not sure If I'm going to get the intercooler. Looks like an awful lot of work for someone who doesn't pull a lot or running tons of horsepower. Should I still get the IC though...I might be able to sell it?

You guys are awesome.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:48 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

if you have the garage space I would buy it. You stick around here long enough and you close to stock truck won't be close to stock for long. If you get a high power chip or someday get bigger injectors you will be wanting that IC. I am getting ready to install mine on my truck and 4 years ago I didn't even know you could chip a diesel.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:56 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
i dont know how much difference there was when i shimmed my fpr cause that was not the only thing i did several change with an improvement tough to tell what made the difference

Quick Reply: Intercooler exchange on 97 PSD?