1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need Measurments for installing small block Chevy in 56 F-100

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 11:37 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMEN! THE RULES ARE THE RULES. KENNY DO WHAT YOU NEED TO DO.

DARKMAN AKA Charles

Old 03-30-2001, 12:02 PM
4byford
Senior User

As I've said before:

Unless you plan to keep it forever, you might consider the resale value. With mongrel swaps, you turn off many potential buyers- the Chevy guy doesn't want it because it is a Ford, the Ford guy isn't interested because of the Chevrolet engine.

The cost & parts availability argument really doesn't fly. a 302/351W has as many parts and aftermarket suppport- not to mention power potential-as the boring small block Chevy.

I do support your right to do what you want with your truck, but it is because you want to- not because of availability or cost.

Old 03-30-2001, 12:39 PM
ke6bnl
Senior User

>As I've said before:
>
>Unless you plan to keep it
>forever, you might consider the
>resale value. With mongrel swaps,
>you turn off many potential
>buyers- the Chevy guy doesn't
>want it because it is
>a Ford, the Ford guy
>isn't interested because of the
>Chevrolet engine.
>
>The cost & parts availability argument
>really doesn't fly. a 302/351W
>has as many parts and
>aftermarket suppport- not to mention
>power potential-as the boring small
>block Chevy.
>
>I do support your right to
>do what you want with
>your truck, but it is
>because you want to- not
>because of availability or cost.
>
I will never get out of my vehicle all the money, time, effort, knowledge learned for two reason. One this truck will stay in the family and be past down to my boy and secondly no one could compensate me for all the time and sweat that has and will be put into the vehicle. I will leave the descusions related to my truck to those that have ford stamped on them. I live a simple uncluttered life and don't need to get tempers burning, but will remember to be open minded to other because of this situation when I go to help others on there vehicle whether mechanicaly or instructional. This whole thing about snubbing your nose at someone because they chose to do there project of love in a manner not consistent with yours will not be my policy. I can go and enjoy a low rider event and appreciate all the quality and hard work and love that went into it with out it being my choice for a project. Hope to someday meet some of you and enjoy your works. Ed ke6bnl

Old 03-30-2001, 02:59 PM
fords2952
New User

That's you,you don't care what you put in that truck,that's fine,do what you want!! That's not what I believe,I have been an auto Tech for almost 40 years,I worked for GM dealers for 20 years,and do fleet work on mostly GM products now! I have grown to dislike them because I truthfully think they don't build one for the best vehicles! They are techically challenged in the driveline area,have been for years! All the GM guys are always pointing out how Ford builds so many different engines,I like it because it give you choices! I raced Flatheads in the late 50s,early 60 and kinda strayed away from Fords,but After I bought my wife a new 83 GT,I was hooked!I Then bought a new 87 Ranger SC and am still driving it 312,000 miles later!! My next rod will probably have a 4.6 or 5.4 in it! I don't see how us rodders have just sat by and accepted the dull boring SBC as the motor of choice in a Ford street rod??!! The heritage of Ford products screams for a 302 or 351!! Yes,I admit to being pig-headed and stubborn,but that's just me and probably thousands of other Ford-proud enthusiasts!!!

Old 03-30-2001, 03:51 PM
4byford
Senior User

Ed,
I am as true blue Ford as they come, but to each his own. As a fellow gearhead, I appreciate your enjoyment and efforts on YOUR project, even if I don't agree on the brand of equipment you are using. After all, a Ch*vy motor is AMERICAN, and I can get behind that-
Enjoy your truck,
AL

Old 03-30-2001, 04:02 PM
darkman
Posting Guru

I don't care what he does and will appreciate his efforts and look for tricks I can do, BUT what we are discussing is that this is the incorrect spot to do it just like if I took my 1957 F100 to the Corvette show and tried to enter it. They would not let me. Is it because they are snubbing their nose at me, NO it is because you need a Corvette to enter the show. That is the rules. Like Kenny said we can discuss anything pertaining to the truck that does not violate the charter!

Thanks Charles

Old 03-30-2001, 04:16 PM
srider
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, since a few of you have decided to ride this into the ground, I'll through a couple more things in here. As to pice of high performance parts and the boring sbc, Golens engine service builds affordable high performance crate motors. THey build strokers in both ford and chev flavors as well as a host of others. For $3649 you could buy a 450 horse 383 stroker. For the Ford 351 stroked to 396 ( do these numbers sound familiar?) making 450 horses you will spend $4999. For a difference of $1350. But I'm suer this is just a drop in the bucket right? Personally, if a guy wants to keep his truck all ford, his right, I would like to see some one install a v12 jag in their truck, but that is out of my price range for now. While discussing sbc or any other such swap is verboten, perhaps people could swap email addresses without being attacked. By the way iof you want to get nasty, ask yourself why ford has all but stopped making the 5.0, (they still put it in the explorer, don't they?) And then ask yourself why chev still makes the 5.7?
Afterall my 350 powered camaro a 2001 model makes 310 horse compared to 260 for the mustang 4.6 is much quicker 0-60 and quarter mile times, and according to the epa auto tranny versus auto tranny even with 1100 ccs. larger motor the camaro is only down 1 mpg! And don't tell me that the power difference is minimal my wife could tell thwe mustang was slower. Anyway, I love the way old fords look, own two of them a 60 and a 70, but perhaps the world could do with less attitude, it is afterall a small segment of the general hot rod scene, and i for one think that if one or two people could help another out, it isn't that much to ask. ANyway enough, the offer to pick up that 60 is still good, pleasent dreams. brutus

Old 03-31-2001, 01:39 PM
darkknight
Senior User

A Ford truck should have a Ford motor under the hood. When I was starting my 55 F100, I had chosen the 351W that is in the engine bay now before hand. Others moaned and groaned that I should have put a GM brand 350 in it because of its size and parts availability. I stood strong and still placed the Ford motor where it belongs... IN A FORD! I have a 55 F350 I will start soon but it will retain its original motor as far as I can tell, it is still a low mileage motor. 49,000 original miles on the odometer. Thanks Dale, I appreciate you and your father.

I am a "GM" brand man also, in fact both of my new vehicles brand names start with "C" but all of my Fords will carry Fords between the fender wells as long as I have them!

Mike H

Old 03-31-2001, 06:19 PM
ke6bnl
Senior User

Sounds like my 50 ford f1 will not even be allowed to be discussed on the Chevy groups with the 350/700r4. because it has a 9" ford rear end and a mustang II front suspension. It sure is rough having an interratial vehicle these days. I may have to pull the rear for a 12 bolt chevy and but in a camero front clip may be someone will accept me. Ed ke6bnl

Old 03-31-2001, 06:57 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts

I know how you feel Ed. I probably won't be able to talk about my personal dream project either - dropping a full-dress Merc Flathead V8 in a 57 Chev belaire

Old 04-01-2001, 12:45 AM
yblock
Freshman User

NO flame intended, but this is a ford site. I believe that what ever charges your battery is good, but I also believe that asking what maytag transmission fits in a whirlpool on a whirpool site might just get the same responce. I can driveby a nice 57 whatever and say to myself thats a nice 57 whatever. All these people that get all het up on this issue just need to remember where there at. a Ford site. So you might ask the people that have done what you want to do. Ask a ch**y site. Just my 2 cents worth now up to 5.5 inflated.

Old 04-01-2001, 05:47 AM
tlak
Freshman User

Obviously this forum needs one more catagory. A Modified vehicle section. Then if someone wants a chevy engine in their Ford or a ford engine in their chevy they could ask a question of a knowledgeable person and not be bad mouthed and insulted. It would sort of be like the X rated movies if you dont like them dont go in. Kenny maybe you could get this off the ground on a trial and see how much its used for a couple of months.

Old 04-01-2001, 09:43 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master

Ken payne (Kpayne) is the guy to talk to. He is the owner and Administrator of FTE, and he makes the rules here. I'm just "Kenny", the guy who wants to help people, look for dirty words, "for sale" posts, and other guideline violations for free as a volunteer. I just want to say that I have total respect for ALL of you guys, and your projects! I hope that no one feels as though I have snubbed my nose at them in any way.

Kenny
Volunteer Moderator
1948-1960 Ford Truck Forum

Old 04-11-2001, 11:06 AM
darkknight
Senior User

I forgot to mention... When I got my f100, it was set up for a "GM" moter and tranny. As I said previously, it now has a FORD in it. :->

Mike

Old 04-11-2001, 01:15 PM
harddrive4x4
Junior User

The next words you are about to read were copied from the Forever Ford column in Classic Trucks magazine.
Top Ten Reasons To Put A Ch*vy In Your Ford
10. Orange is your favorite color and it matches your favorite hunting cap and vest.
9. Jeff Gordon has a Ch*vy motor, so it must be cool.
8. They're cheaper to build so you'll have more money to spend on food for your hounds.
7. Your always looking to make new friends, at least one, and you think the slogan "See the USU in your ch****let" may help you get one.
6. Hair loss caused by stress isn't a problem for you.
5. Deep harbored resentment towards your parents about having to wear one of those long, clip-on ties drives you to finally own a bowtie.
4. Blue is your favorite color and you love to see that color smoke coming out the tailpipe.
3. With your Ford truck, with M2 suspension and Ford 9" rear,you just needed something to break up the "All Ford" theme.
2. GM is easier to spell than Ford: two less letters!
1. Everybody else with single digit IQs has them!

Mike K
Bay City MI

Quick Reply: Need Measurments for installing small block Chevy in 56 F-100