1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Blades - 24" versus 20" - Go For The 24"!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Wiper Blades - 24" versus 20" - Go For The 24"!!!

Was needing new wiper blades for my Excursion (also works for SD's as well) and was previously using the stock 20" wiper blades... but decided to try 24" ones instead.

They work great and there are no "fit" or "clearance" issues at all. The 24" blades give me 4" extra inches of "clean windshield" with 2" at the bottom and 2" at the top. I purchased at my local auto-parts store and they let me hold them up to my old ones and "test fit and try" before buying... and with the purchase, they install at no-charge right there in the parking lot!!

I love the 24" blades and the fact that I gain a few inches of "clearing"... is a plus... whether or not it really helps... it is still 4 extra inches of a cleaner windshield!!!

Might want to consider and see if you like the extra "view" of 24" wiper blades versus the stock 20" ones?????

Enjoy.... my Christmas gift (upgrade suggestion) to the entire 6.0L forum family!!!!!

Merry Christmas,

Jeff

Last edited by Beachbumcook; 12-23-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:57 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jeff,

Whose blades did you go with? Did you get the Bosch? Model number please?

Old 12-23-2006, 11:00 PM
booker250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:05 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you put them on both sides Jeff?

I like that idea. Do you happen to have a part number?

Old 12-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I went with Trico's silicone blades. I justified them as a step up from OEM, but could not justify the extra cost of some of the Bosch and other "high-end" blades that are available.

I tend to buy 1 to 2 sets per year for optimum performance as all blades wear down and out... especially in the winter with snow and ice "scraping the rubber up".

I used the 24" baldes on both sides on the front and the little bit of "extra coverage" is nice... does nothing for the "main part" of one's glass area, but it is 4 extra inches... and we all know that it's length that counts... right??

I purchased from Advanced Auto parts and they let me try them on first and even installed them for me... but that was because I was not sure of the extra sizing.... but the install was free either way.

Any brand someone wants to use will work and I do not see much of difference in "regular frame" wipers as who knows if silicone and the other fancy marketing stuff is really worth it if one repalces them 1 or 2 times a year??? There were some really expensive ones that had a solid "pre-bent/formed" frame that is too give better contact pressure... but they were more than I wanted to spend for 2 wipers.

Enjoy...

Old 12-23-2006, 11:39 PM
chili7
Senior User
Hey Beach, great info! Is the windshield the same size on the Excursion and the Super Duty? They must be. Sounds like a great idea.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:40 PM
bneafus
Elder User
I took Beach's advice a few weeks ago and got the Bosch 24's. In this big snow storm and aftermath, they've really proved themselves! Makes a huge difference!!

Old 12-24-2006, 12:11 AM
6L PWR
Postmaster
I can't do that Jeff! Think about the extra drag they're creating!! I've spent too much speeding this baby up to slow it back down!! I may even just take them off. Go fast enough and you don't even need them!!!

Ok, ok, yeah, I'm kidding. Thanks for the info Jeff. I was planning on getting new ones soon so I'll look into 24" ones now.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:21 AM
bneafus
Elder User
Or take out the windshield and rear window!!

Old 12-24-2006, 12:22 AM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bneafus
Or take out the windshield and rear window!!
That's a good idea. What else is the full face helmet for anyway??

Old 12-24-2006, 02:42 AM
sweet03cobra
Elder User
got a part #?

Old 12-24-2006, 07:25 AM
dlpinkc
Senior User
Originally Posted by sweet03cobra
got a part #?
Part number will be different depending on the brand you choose to go with.

I just did this yesterday. I had read on the SD Forum that 24's would work and give you some added 'clean space', so went to WalMart and picked up a couple. Install takes about 1 minute, and they do cover more of the windshield (obviously.....)

I got the Rain-X brand, but they carry 3-4 different brands. I had Michelin wipers on before and liked them fine, but they only had one in 24" size, so I am giving Rain-X a try. I LOVE the Rain-X windshield treatment, so maybe the wipers are good too, but for about 8 bucks apiece, if I hate them I'll go back and try another brand.

I'm kind of like Jeff, the first time my wipers don't 'clear' the entire space they are supposed to, I replace them. I hate streaks on my glass...

dp

Old 12-24-2006, 08:11 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
I've had these on my last two Super Duty trucks and they are a GREAT improvement over the OEM blades. I run the BOSCH brand and swap out once a year in the spring.

Go to any auto parts store and find the 24" blades of your choice. Install and enjoy the view.

GREAT MOD!!!

Old 12-24-2006, 08:52 AM
spikebee
Senior User
<p>When I worked in a fleet shop, my boss read somewhere that by removing the stock 22" wiper blades from our Econolines and replacing them with 20" wiper blades, the longevity of the wiper motors would be greatly improved. He was all for it, but I was like "Are you kidding me?" How much "value" is there in REDUCING the square footage of clean windshield? Anything you can do to make your view clearer is a big plus! Great post and great idea Beachbumcook!</p><p>P.S. The kicker? The fleet shop I worked in was an AMBULANCE company!</p>

Old 12-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Bear Hunter
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
Was needing new wiper blades for my Excursion (also works for SD's as well) and was previously using the stock 20" wiper blades... but decided to try 24" ones instead.

They work great and there are no "fit" or "clearance" issues at all. The 24" blades give me 4" extra inches of "clean windshield" with 2" at the bottom and 2" at the top. I purchased at my local auto-parts store and they let me hold them up to my old ones and "test fit and try" before buying... and with the purchase, they install at no-charge right there in the parking lot!!

I love the 24" blades and the fact that I gain a few inches of "clearing"... is a plus... whether or not it really helps... it is still 4 extra inches of a cleaner windshield!!!

Might want to consider and see if you like the extra "view" of 24" wiper blades versus the stock 20" ones?????

Enjoy.... my Christmas gift (upgrade suggestion) to the entire 6.0L forum family!!!!!

Merry Christmas,

Jeff
Hows the 24" fitting on your the passenger side? I found it was a hair too long at that location. The end of the tip did not contact well with the glass due to the curvature of the windshield on the side. If I was to do it again I would get the 24" for the drivers side and the 22 for the passenger.

Quick Reply: Wiper Blades - 24" versus 20" - Go For The 24"!!!