Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Tennessee Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Neal 97 250

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Pestiferous Nuisance

Greywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputation
G-II (or G-2) I have the perfect powerplant for it now...

I traded my old wore out flatbed F250 for a heavy duty F350 frame with an EFI 351W on it.

Needless to say - it has a TRUCK EFI system (which has a lot more flow than a Mustang system).

Things are shaping up nicely.

~Wolf

~ Such persons are hereinafter referred to as jackasses...

Last edited by Greywolf; 12-22-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Posting Guru

amish77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
still, just a 351w. I'd rather have a 400 or a 351M for the longer stroke. Better than a 302 or a 300 though.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Pestiferous Nuisance

Greywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputation
The disadvantages of a 351C or 400M are that it is a much heavier block, and bigger physically. If I go to a big block build, I'll run right around the midblock class and go straight after a 460 let out as far as it can go.I had a 351M at one point courtesy of a '73 Grand Torino. Factory four barrel, four bolt main, the whole nine. The S.O.B. nearly bent a cherry picker...

If I ever go there again, I want it ALL!

In the meantime, I have the engine on the deck, and the heads are coming off tomorrow. THEN we'll know what kind of shape it's really in...

"Any man who tells you that an engine he is getting rid of has low miles on it and runs perfectly is full of crap!"
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Elder User

alabamabuddog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I know where theres a 71 460 just sitting, Im wondering if I can graft on fuel injection.

2000 Excursion automatic Power Stroke

96 F350 BLACK! Manual with a Power Stroke

81 CJ7 8 3/8 lift and 35's
Old 01-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Postmaster

maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.
facebook.com/TheCrip Maples01
You need to give the 335 series engine forum, there is a guy who built a 400, and has injected it, NO they aren't a big block and don't weigh near as much either, far better to build because of it. The modifieds have a taller deck, but other than that, they are still the size of a Cleveland, so will drop in where a Windsor came out withaout heavy loss of room like a 460. I beat a friends built 302 with a stock 400 in a T-bird, supprised me greatly, ugly tank would go.
You can use the 90's 460 heads and FI system to make the older block fuel injected, you definately want the newer heads, the 71 will likely have sodium filled exhaust valves, designed for regular leaded gas.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Elder User

alabamabuddog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
From what I understand the older heads flow much much better. I think I could just swap the valves and be ok.

2000 Excursion automatic Power Stroke

96 F350 BLACK! Manual with a Power Stroke

81 CJ7 8 3/8 lift and 35's
Old 01-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Postmaster

maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.
facebook.com/TheCrip Maples01
Compression would be too high, require use of high test gas, and the late model EFI stuff may not direct fit those heads.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Pestiferous Nuisance

I'd still like to collect a 460 - and yes the valves can be redone (guides & seats included).

But for now I'm on hold pending a clean-up of the financial disaster my estranged created. TRANSLATION: I trade stuff, clean house, and work with what I have right now.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:42 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Tennessee Chapter