427 Sohc on Craigslist

Old 10-23-2008, 12:18 PM
galaxie guy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is my understanding I could be wrong but the sohc/dohc 427's the dohc was used on cars like the gt 40, road racers.and such while the sohc was primarily a street engine I could be wrong but that was my understanding also ford did put it in a galaxie 63,1/2 model with fiberglass fenders hood trunk lid and possible door skins extremely fast it had a plate on the dash stating this is a high perf vehicle intended for racing. it was a factory production car put out by ford.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by galaxie guy
it is my understanding I could be wrong but the sohc/dohc 427's the dohc was used on cars like the gt 40, road racers.and such while the sohc was primarily a street engine I could be wrong but that was my understanding also ford did put it in a galaxie 63,1/2 model with fiberglass fenders hood trunk lid and possible door skins extremely fast it had a plate on the dash stating this is a high perf vehicle intended for racing. it was a factory production car put out by ford.
That car was called a thunderbolt, was so light that guys had to put lead in there helmets and throw them in the car to get enough weight to pass tech inspections in some classes and they NEVER came from the factory with a SOHC. Also ford never built a DOHC FE, no saying there wasn't soem aftermarket stuff but not sold by ford.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 PM
galaxie guy
New User
re 427

go google it it was production they had to, even back then, to race it it had to be production, I personaly did not live in those days but being from detroit I know where there are three I have personally seen and several engines under numerous benches (seriously) I'm not BS'ing the guy's I know are quite aged now but growing up I heard plenty of story's ford would cater to local drag racers in detroit hooking them up to win at the strip parts to upgrade the already insane fast for the time 427's just to slam mopar in highland park michigan,and they did ford actually get this rated that bad 427 at "410" horses they loved to play around the actual 616.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:48 PM
galaxie guy
New User
re dohc

I think you are right about the dohc though cause when they stuck one in a shelbycobra it is referred that they took it from a "galaxie" so it would havebeen the dual quad SOHC for sure.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:55 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

no galaxie guy, they NEVER put the SOHC in any production car, it was a crate motor. nascar was the only ones that required a certain number of production units, the thunderbolt was a drag car not a stock car, also before it was ever run the SOHC was outlawed, at that point Ford just went to selling it over the counter. Also please note the SOHC's weren't availble until 64.

Here is the offical ford website talking about the thunderbolts, please note they came with the 427 center oiler high riser motors.

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/featu...?release=18023

you could at the same time BUY a crate SOHC and install it if you want but they were NOT put in by the factory.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think you are right about the dohc though cause when they stuck one in a shelbycobra it is referred that they took it from a "galaxie" so it would havebeen the dual quad SOHC for sure.
The only DOHC Ford built was a small block, based on the 221 CID V-8 for Indy cars. It was de-stroked too. Production became a non-issue for the SOHC because NASCAR outlawed it before it was raced.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:51 PM
galaxie guy
New User
well I guess my issue of hot rod magazine is wrong on their facts and you cant tell the difference between a galaxie and a fairlane let's talk thunderbolt ford did not do it "on that model but on the galaxie it was production" but ford had a company do it for them, much like shelby or roush of today but the galaxie was SOLD TO THE PUBLIC as a single overhaed cam engine turn key, ready to go proving my point that it was production not later installed. sorry got proof in my hand dude. go do your research then we'll talk b y the way the galaxie waqs for nascar the thunderbolt dragraced 2 entirely different cars, moon shiners

Old 10-23-2008, 01:56 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,583 Likes on 1,291 Posts
--The 'cammer' is SOHC, one cam per head. No DOHC FE motors.

--GT 40s used sb motors, mostly the 289. Later versions (Mark II) used 427 wedge motors. They won LeMans with the wedge motor. No SOHCs.

--Cobra road racers used 427 wedges, not SOHC.

--63 1/2 "lightweight" Galaxies were wedge motors, had aluminum parts, a Custom model chassis, swiss-cheesed parts etc. I'm sure there are other details about these cars as well.

--SOHC motors showed up in drag racing in just about anything you can think of, most of which had to be modified beyond street use to deal with the width and power.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

galaxie guy I will say this one more time FORD DID NOT SELL THE SOHC ENGINES IN ANY PRODUCTION CAR EVER.

I don't know how much more clear I can be. and the thunderbolt WAS A FORD PRODUCTION CAR. you could buy the SOHC as a crate motor and put it in anything you wanted but it was NEVER put in a car by ford.

now take your proof throw it away and try again. and if your proof is hot rod mag I can find you several thousand mistakes by that chevy dominated rag that are KNOWN to be wrong.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well I guess my issue of hot rod magazine is wrong on their facts and you cant tell the difference between a galaxie and a fairlane let's talk thunderbolt ford did not do it "on that model but on the galaxie it was production" but ford had a company do it for them, much like shelby or roush of today but the galaxie was SOLD TO THE PUBLIC as a single overhaed cam engine turn key, ready to go proving my point that it was production not later installed. sorry got proof in my hand dude. go do your research then we'll talk b y the way the galaxie waqs for nascar the thunderbolt dragraced 2 entirely different cars, moon shiners
So Hot Rod Mag is Gospel, huh? I don't believe the SOHC was ever installed in the Galaxie by Ford or by contract either. You aren't listening very well. NASCAR outlawed the SOHC as soon as the motor was announced. Ford didn't need any production cars because they couldn't run the motor in NASCAR anyway.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:02 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Heck Nascar outlawed the SOHC before it was even announced and in fact before even 10 of them were built. They put one in a Galaxie stock car (note this was not a production car nor was it offered for sale) was taken to Daytona where it put out some lap times that were so fast, the mopar guys cried foul and nascar instantly outlawed it before it ever got to make another lap on ANY nascar track after that day.
After that since Ford already had several of them ordered they just went ahead and put them for sale over the counter for the drag guys to buy and use as crate motors.

OH yeah according to hot rod the block you need to find to build a killer 429/460 is the D7TE and D8TE 4 bolt main production blocks now go find one and prove to us all how your proof is wonderful.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:55 PM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There were a few 65-66 Galaxies built in Fords X garage with the 427 SOHC. Checkout www.fordflashback.com under "X Files" and you'll see a pic. Looks like it mighta been a production option till NASCAR banned the bad boy. Also astronaut Gordon Cooper was given a SOHC powered 65 Galaxie to evaluate. While it wasn't a option there were a few test mules made tween 65-67.

On the DOHC engine Ford also built the 427 Calliope engine. It was designed for the 68 LeMans GT-40 project and possible Can-Am use. Based on the 385 series not the FE and displaced 427 Cu. IIRC it was a 3 valve per chamber design. Only a handful were made and was not very safe as designed. When the FIA capped engines at 3 liters the project was scrapped.

This all from memory so pick it apart as seen fit. But do check out the Ford Flashback site. Some neat pics and info there.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:01 PM
galaxie guy
New User
VIN code "L", 427-4V V-8 SOHC (high performance)
>>VIN code "D", 427-8V V-8 SOHC (high performance)
427 wedge ran nascar after the ban, the cammer never officialy raced but on the same tracks as the hemi it smoked it with it's times. look it up fellas, heres your vin codes!

Old 10-23-2008, 03:12 PM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
427 wedge ran nascar after the ban, the cammer never officialy raced but on the same tracks as the hemi it smoked it with it's times. look it up fellas, heres your vin codes!
Just because VIN's are spec'd does not mean it was a production item. You can also add the W code 68 427 Mustang if you wanna pick nits. Tech and parts manuals had to be printed and in place when production cars hit the streets. There are also a few oddball parts and emblems for cars that never made production. So just because it's in print does not always mean it was made and or a production item. Mercury had a GT-E version of the Cougar slated for 69 which never happened. But several sets of side emblems were made and are out there today as collectables. Shudda, wudda cudda.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:32 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Galaxie guy why don't 'you look up exactly how many of those vin codes WERE ACTUALLY BUILT AND SOLD. I can save you the trouble ZERO.

Proto types are NOT production vehicles and that was teh ONLY time Ford factory every put the SOHC in anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 427 Sohc on Craigslist