The Amsoil Anomaly:

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 12:59 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
The Amsoil Anomaly:

This thread is for Amsoil discussion.

Please post responsibly. Do not let anyone bait you into losing your cool. Posts containing personal attacks will be deleted. Posts using the quote function replying to a personal attack will be deleted as well.

The prohibition barring dealers, wholesalers and retailers from participating still applies unless you are a recognized sponsor.

Do not take it upon yourself to be the forum police and question anyone's status. That function is reserved for moderator's and administrator's.

If you don't think you can abide by these guidelines, then please don't post here and spoil it for everyone else. All other regular posting guidelines apply.

So why the title "The Amsoil Anomaly?" Amsoil is the one topic we are not specifically prohibited from discussing, yet is the surest way to get unwanted attention. The mission of this thread is to offer a place for discussion without undue scrutiny or question of motive.

From time to time other Amsoil threads may be merged with this one in the interest of keeping information together. Sort of a forum in a forum. I may have stuck my neck out on this one guys. So please don't make me look bad.

--------------

Thread Highlights: Posts selected contain data or links to data and were not selected to underscore individual argument.

Edit: 01/08/07
Post #3 by Bob Ayers: API Licensed Amsoil Products

Post #188 by bloomy63: Blackstone test report using amsoil

Post #274 by 2005X: So, which Amsoil for 6.0-AME or DEO?

Post #281 by Beachbumcook: Amsoil vs Mobil Product Warranty

Edit: 01/11/07
Post #341 by Beachbumcook: Emailed Amsoil About Mercon SP Fluid - 1/9/07

Post #345 by Beachbumcook: Spoke With Amsoil

Post #368 by Beachbumcook: Mercon SP Fluid - Blackstone Analysis @ 25,500 miles

Post #371 by Bob Ayers: Ford Owner's Manual Fluid Recommendations

Post #387 by Bob Ayers: Quote from from Mobil

Post #388 by Bob Ayers: Reply from Pat Burrow (Lubegard)

Edit: 1/31/07
Post #435 by bloomy63: More engine oil reports from blackstone

Edit: 2/16/07
Post #'s 531-536 by F250-Newbie. Results Are In!! UOA of 5,000 mi OCI unknown brand, VOA of Amsoil DEO 5w40, UOA of flush oil Amsoil DEO 5w40.
536 summary of all 3 samples.

Post #552 by Beachbumcook: Recommended SAE Viscosity Grades for 6.4 and 6.0 Powerstroke

Edit: 3/4/17
Post #580 by F-250-Newbie: Oilguard Oil Analysis Results

Post #581 by F-250-Newbie: Original oil/Amsoil DEO 5w40-unused

Post #586 by F250-Newbie: OilGuard Analysis-Explanations for Questions

Post #605 by Bloomy63: 20,400 mile blackstone lab report using amsoil AME 15w40 oil

Last edited by horsepuller; 03-04-2007 at 03:35 AM. Reason: add highlights
Old 12-21-2006, 06:18 AM
lwong
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, let me be one of the first.

For many, many years now I've run M1 in the winter, either the 5W or 0W products. It has served me well, as I believed it to be one of the best at low temp flow.

Has anyone seen the specs for the XL 5W-20? Even though it's a GrIII base, it has an outstanding cP spec, beating even their own PAO formulas. With a viscosity calculator, and using EM's published specs for M1 5W-20, XL 5W-20 calculates to be slightly less viscous at -30C. Since EM hasn't published specs for the 0W-20 yet, it is difficult to compare the two, but I am considering using the XL next winter. I can get it at my local Fleet Farm for a bit less than M1, but cost is not really an issue anyways.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great idea, thanks Scott!!!

I'll start off by posting the API URL, that show EXACTLY which Amsoil oil products are API certified:

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseI...LicenseNo=0995

Just as a comparison, here are the Royal Purple oil products, that are API
certified:

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseI...LicenseNo=0777

It's interesting to note, that Royal Purple received API certification 2 years before Amsoil! Royal Purple IS NOT a MLM company, and IS a FTE
sponsor!

Last edited by Bob Ayers; 12-21-2006 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:59 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
MLM aside, Amsoil is like any other "boutique" product, usually superior in some way, but more expensive. The question still boils down to "is it worth the extra money?". With Mobil 1 EP the difference becomes even less, as the Mobil product is claimed to last almost as long and costs almost as much as Amsoil.

Jim

Old 12-21-2006, 12:59 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Wow, Moderator... with all the threads that have been tipping into the Amsoil discussion lately (carefully, too, I might add), I'm shocked that there hasn't been any further comments since 9am this morning. I admire your courage and applaud your efforts to offer this thread. Maybe you skeered 'em all away.

For me, personally, I could justify the Amsoil oil in my old F150 since it provided at least a 10% increase in mileage, which was significant for my 12-13 mpg 4.9L 300, and that was both in comparison to having used Mobil 1 for 3 years and the benefits were maintianed for over a year before I sold the vehicle. However, I no longer own that one, and am trying to ferret my way through the maze of diesel oil options. I am also wiser (thanks to FTE members) in the sense getting independent oil analysis performed to help me make the best of my options. I'm going to give the DEO product a fifrst shot, but only because of my previous experience. I am cautious about this decision, though, and will be testing very regularly to "pull back" at the first signs of increased wear in my engine.

The only oar I personally have in this race is my own personal vehicle... no ties to Amsoil or any other company.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:20 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool thread Scott!

One question always rises to the top in my mind.
In the case of the "average" driver, which I think most of us are:

If conventional oil can - and does on a widespread basis - carry an engine into the 200,000-300,000 mile range (and more), what is the real benefit of using Amsoil or any other "special" oil?

I can imagine drain intervals - IF you test the oil to determine when to change.
And I guess Amsoil, like other synthetics claim, might offer better start-up protection in VERY cold climates. Although it seems the cold flow properties of today's 5W-20 are pretty darned good.

But here is the bottom line for me: I can do 5,000 mile oil changes for about $15, and find my oil/filter at most any retail outlet.
I fully expect that NO oil related failure or wear problem is going to be the final death of my truck. And the engine could, if I kept the truck long enough, make 250,000 -300,000 miles and likely more.
So, If the engine is likely going to outlast the truck, what more could one want?

I just have to believe that there is some intangible value that sticks to some folks and not to others.
While I fell all warm and fuzzy with Havoline oil and a Motorcraft filter every 5K, others get the warm fuzzies by believe they are treating their baby to something "special" and "better".
That is A-OK and I don't begrudge someone spending their money how they choose to spend it.

It's interesting really. I think it is as much a study in human nature as it is a study of oil performance.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:28 AM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Brian I ask myself that same question.

I tried the syn route but found that I felt better changing my oil at 5k for just a piece of mind.

I really don't know what my oil is doing at 7.5k but its kinda like washing the outside . I just feel better with clean oil in my engine.

I have used Amsoil motorcyle oil for racing and just like the fact of a syn oil for heat protection.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BrianA
But here is the bottom line for me: I can do 5,000 mile oil changes for about $15, and find my oil/filter at most any retail outlet.
Very good points Brian!!! You can change your oil cheaper than doing a UOA!!

Old 12-22-2006, 01:46 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
So, If the engine is likely going to outlast the truck, what more could one want?
I've seen claims of Amsoil getting better mpg ("since it provided at least a 10% increase in mileage") which itself could be enough to justify the cost, but without actual, verifiable and repeatable test data, I find that a bit hard to believe.

I've been putting all my gasoline receipt in the spreadsheet, and I fully aware of the perils of making false conclusions based on the variation of mpg.

Note, I'm not saying that Amsoil may not be better, I just want data that I can trust.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally Posted by aurgathor
I've seen claims of Amsoil getting better mpg ("since it provided at least a 10% increase in mileage") which itself could be enough to justify the cost, but without actual, verifiable and repeatable test data, I find that a bit hard to believe.

I've been putting all my gasoline receipt in the spreadsheet, and I fully aware of the perils of making false conclusions based on the variation of mpg.

Note, I'm not saying that Amsoil may not be better, I just want data that I can trust.
I thought the same thing!!! Simply going from a 10W30 to a 5W20 will give you a 10% improvement, especially if you are starting out about 13MPG!!!

And, based on Amsoil's reputation, I would have to see the data from a truely independent test house!!!

Old 12-22-2006, 02:09 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Let me clarify:
I speculate Amsoil is quite likely a fine product, all the API debate not withstanding.
There are plenty of engines racking up miles running Amsoil. If it was going to ruin engines, we'd have seen that happen long before now.
I just don't think it is worth what it costs. (and I have a personal thing about MLM products.)

Old 12-22-2006, 04:55 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Guys what's that average cost for 5 quarts of amsoil 5w-30 and a matching filter?

I've found that if you want synthetic, a great ad pack and extended OCIs then blends are the way to go for cost effectiveness. Currently I do 7500 mile OCI's with my own blend at a cost of $22.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally Posted by OSin86
Guys what's that average cost for 5 quarts of amsoil 5w-30 and a matching filter?

I've found that if you want synthetic, a great ad pack and extended OCIs then blends are the way to go for cost effectiveness. Currently I do 7500 mile OCI's with my own blend at a cost of $22.
Here is information from Amsoil's website:

XL 5W-30 ($6.00 ea) $30.00
EA015 Oil Filter (FL1A) $15.30

Total: $45.30

It looks like you can do 2 oil changes for what Amsoil costs.....and don't forget that there is shipping cost that is additional.....

Old 12-22-2006, 06:43 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bob Ayers
Here is information from Amsoil's website:

XL 5W-30 ($6.00 ea) $30.00
EA015 Oil Filter (FL1A) $15.30

Total: $45.30

It looks like you can do 2 oil changes for what Amsoil costs.....and don't forget that there is shipping cost that is additional.....

Wow Amsoil is the same price as Mobil One. Maybe Amsoil isn't as bad as you claim. I'm still going to use Mobil One in my genset it only takes 3.6gts and only change it once a year.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
(and I have a personal thing about MLM products.)
I do too Brian!!!! I have had friends and family members that have had to file for bankruptsy, from believing the lies of MLM companies!!!

Quick Reply: The Amsoil Anomaly: