Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 12:26 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Context...

1985 engine, in-line 6 (4.9L / 300cid)
over 160,000 miles at conversion from Mobil 1 to Amsoil
No longer own the vehicle, which eliminates any potential fr attempting the "undo" routine
4-speed manual, low-geared Borg-Warner tranny (not original, installed ~1990)
Ran Mobil 1 from ~'92-'05
Converted to Amsoil summer '05
Sold vehicle in September '06, the day after I bought my '02 F250

Old 12-31-2006, 12:29 AM
2005X
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Bob Ayers]If you are determined to use Amsoil in your 6.0L, then PCO is your best bet. AT LEAST it is CI-4 API certified. But, if you do your research on the oil and lubrication forum, Rotella, and Delo both work well, and you can save yourself some money! You can also find good oil information in the 6.0L with threads/posts from Beachbumcook, and blackhat620.

I would not say I'm determined to use it, but am researching it along with RP and a couple others. I have a couple thousand miles before my next oil change, so still have some reading to do! I understand your point of using the API certified syn blend for the rating, but for me I'm not as concearned about that or warranty threats as using what is best for my engine which won't know until try it with Blackstone results. (Or someone elses?)

Just remember the inflated cost of Amsoil products is due to the MLM structure![/QUOTE]

While I'd agree the MLM structure affects pricing and distribution, it does not put them out of competitive pricing range of other synthetics. I was at PepBoys today trying to pick up a few more Fram filters 2 for $7 and noticed they sell RP synthetic 15w40 for $25 per gallon, indiv gallons only and maybe there's cheaper places to get this, but that's $100 for 4 gallons PLUS tax which is 9.5% in TN (ouch). I have been quoted under $100 for 4 gallons of the DEO amsoil including shipping. The cost of shipping is no worse than sales tax here usually. Thanks to the Fram oil filter sale, I am stocked and kinda like the idea of it being shipped to my door and avoiding the retail scene!

Old 12-31-2006, 03:10 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
A better sugestion to the Royal Purple, or Amsoil would be the Motorcraft 5W50 full synthetic. Here is the catch, it is not diesel certified at all. (sound familiar) Matt did have a 5500 mile sample checked at blackstone and they were quite impressed. They even went so far as to say certified or not, it exceeds the api specs for the 6.0. It is a tad ont he expensive side, but doubt Ford would hassle you over warranty if you were purchasing it from your servicing dealer. It was designed for the GT 500 motor, but has some extra zddp which is slowly decreasing in the diesel rated engine oils. Here is a link to the thread. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...hetic-oil.html

Old 12-31-2006, 05:24 PM
2005X
Senior User
MrXLH,

I have scanned that thread but not read the Blackstone report yet, thanks for the reminder. Has anyone posted a price on that Motorcraft 5w50 yet? Cant be much more than RP at $25 per gallon, can it? Make sense it if stands up to his level of punishment my average use should be no problem... One of my goals is to extend changes, although nothing crazy. Just 7500 or 10k if blackstone approves with a filter change at the halfway point. Sounds like his results supported that also.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:29 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
It's like $8 a quart, if you get 10k out of it, it would be worth it. May check some online places, diesel filters online had a pretty good deal on mercon sp.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrxlh
It's like $8 a quart, if you get 10k out of it, it would be worth it. May check some online places, diesel filters online had a pretty good deal on mercon sp.
Check out this Shelby forum thread on oil requirements. It sounds like TropArtic makes the 5W50 synthetic that meets the Ford requirement
for $59 / case. It sounds like Ford is serious about the warranty on this
engine, if it goes bad, with the wrong oil, your looking at $18,000!!
BTW, I didn't see Amsoil mentioned 1 time!!!!

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333

Old 01-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
new oil filter from amsoil any good?

I agree with Beachbumcook, stay away from the Amsoil filter, and their oil products!! The Amsoil website is full of deceit, and it's a real shame that
some people fall for their BS!!!

Last edited by horsepuller; 01-01-2007 at 08:49 PM. Reason: title
Old 01-02-2007, 05:50 AM
gusher
Junior User
Thanks for your comments Bob. After reading all the posts on this thread, I have decided to change over all my trucks and tractors to Amsoil. Thanks again for helping me decide.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:54 AM
2005X
Senior User
Originally Posted by gusher
Thanks for your comments Bob. After reading all the posts on this thread, I have decided to change over all my trucks and tractors to Amsoil. Thanks again for helping me decide.
Now THAT's good stuff...

Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 AM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And the many others here that have flamed Amsoil and other MLM companies. I have decided to use Amsoil. No I'm not an Amsoil dealer or any other MLM dealer. I work for the state, I try to get what I can back from the taxes I pay.
90% of what I have read here is that you don't like MLM companies so what they sale is no good.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
On a positive note! We are finding out who the Amsoil bigots are!!

Old 01-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
You are very welcome! Make sure you get the preferred customer prices!!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:23 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Just a little reminder.

Originally Posted by horsepuller
This thread is for Amsoil discussion.

Please post responsibly. Do not let anyone bait you into losing your cool. Posts containing personal attacks will be deleted. Posts using the quote function replying to a personal attack will be deleted as well.

The prohibition barring dealers, wholesalers and retailers from participating still applies unless you are a recognized sponsor.

Do not take it upon yourself to be the forum police and question anyone's status. That function is reserved for moderator's and administrator's.

If you don't think you can abide by these guidelines, then please don't post here and spoil it for everyone else. All other regular posting guidelines apply.

So why the title "The Amsoil Anomaly?" Amsoil is the one topic we are not specifically prohibited from discussing, yet is the surest way to get unwanted attention. The mission of this thread is to offer a place for discussion without undue scrutiny or question of motive.

From time to time other Amsoil threads may be merged with this one in the interest of keeping information together. Sort of a forum in a forum. I may have stuck my neck out on this one guys. So please don't make me look bad.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Pete.

One thing I thought I'd mention, from my point of view.
Personally I do not believe, for day-to-day use, Amsoil to be a substantially better product than the Havoline 5W20, 5W30, or 10W30 I buy at Advance Auto.
Nor do I believe it to be a sunstantially worse oil either.

In both cases, with my Havoline and with the other guy's Amsoil, engines last 100s of thousands of miles on a very regular basis, all over North America.

The point?

I believe it backs my contention that almost any modern oil, in the proper viscosity range, and changed at manufacturer's suggested intervals (5000 miles for me), will see an engine live as long as its initial manufacturing design and machine tolerances will aloow it to live.

In other words, in most cases the engine will die because of design/build issues, NOT oil related failures.

So, whatever floats your boat.
I believe they'll all get the job done, and get it done quite well these days.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:24 PM
2005X
Senior User
Nice effort to get this back on track Pete. To your point Brian, I would tend to agree that most non-synthetic oils are "good enough" and have a '97 Contour with the 2.5 6cyl that just turned 165K miles to proove it. That car has only ever had Penzoil 10w30 at 5 k intervals, just recently started to drip some on the garage floor (original clutch too by the way!).

However, I know this is not a diesel thread but I'm researching oil now for my 6.0 Excursion and considering "going above and beyond" for a couple reasons, like the summer heat I'll achieve this summer towing a camper, and the fact that everay oil change is 14 quarts. So not only is that an expensive oils to start with, but if I can run it longer (with analysis, max of 7500 or 10K and interim filter change), then that is that much less oil going into the recycle bin every 5k. Hard to think of an excursion driver as an environmentalist, but that's my viewpoint. If I try to go longer, and the blackstone reports come back poor, I'd probably go back to dino and 5k changes pretty quickly. Just a perspective as to why bother with synthetics here.

Quick Reply: The Amsoil Anomaly: