The Amsoil Anomaly:

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:22 AM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by firesoutmatt
Blaa Blaa Blaaa .

Why does an oil have to be API certified to use it if your not worried about warranty ? (Which I'm not 100% bio shows that )

So all your so called FACTS don't mean diddly .

JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION .

SHOW ME ONE CASE OF AMSOIL VOIDING A WARRANTY . PERIOD
I think what he was trying to say Matt is that very few people use Amsoil during the lifetime of a warranty. Usually for the majority they use the Ford spec for every type of fluid in a vehicle, that is why you won't hear of an issue with a void warranty.

I personally know of several fellas who wait until there warrranty is up before they make the change to a synthetic fluid like Amsoil and run extended OCI's. That's generally the choice they make when decide to modify their engines as well..... ei chips and exhaust.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:09 AM
2005X
Senior User
The real issue is OCI, much more than API

[QUOTE=Beachbumcook]A lot of people use Mobil, Rotella, Chevron and others and go for 10,000 - 20,000 miles as well with and without by-pass oil filters... so it can be assumed that most name brand oils can go the distance... but why would you when they all shear down in the 6.0L PSD?

Why pay more for a non-API certifed oil?

Why use an oil that makes you jump through hoops if you want to utilize their warrenty?[QUOTE]
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I've been reading this one more than participating, but seems like everyone is discussing the lack of API cerification and extended OCIs in the same breath so to speak. If keeping your warranty alive is your primary concern, then either one will get you in trouble of course, but let's keep in mind that not everyone that runs Amsoil (or other synthetics higher priced than conventional) is out to run the oil 20k miles or 12 months. Those that are doing it on here with proper testing, more power to ya, but the average person that read's it in sales literature will not go to that trouble of course, they just assume it's OK because the read it. That's what is dangerous in my opinion, because they may not read all the fine print that keeps getting posted here.

For me, I set out to use what I think is the best (subjective of course) oil for my engine, API cerified or not, and will shoot for 7500 intervals with testing a couple times after 5k to be sure all is OK. API to me is not to certify what oil is best, just that it meets certain min standards and you did in fact get that oil since they test from time to time. This issue is completely different from deciding how long to run the oil.

Should you think I'm supporting, selling or using amsoil, I actually just changed from Rotella 5w40 to Schaeffer's 5w40 9000 (although considered the AME by Amsoil). Ironically, most folks here and on BITOG assume that Schaeffer is API certified from what I have read, including "Bob" himself in an email to me. When I got my 9000 Supreme I noticed the lack of API symbols on the bottle, but yet it says "meets" lots of criteria including CI-4+, and even the cardboard box was stamped with CI-4+ on it. Went to check the API site today and the 7000 15w40 is on there, but not the 9000 5w40 Supreme. I don't really care because I wanted that oil and think it will be better for my engine, but I find it interesting that noone has brought up Shaeffer's questionable marketing in the past, to me similar to the "CJ-4" Amsoil that they saymeets but is not certified.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:29 PM
budman-mo
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First... I just discovered this special forum, it's a great idea, I was really tired of the haters who didn't want to discuss anything and just throw bombs.
I thought this place was for discussion but I was doubting it.

I keep seeing the API rating mentioned, some time back I was in the middle of this same discussion. I went and found Amsoil's explanation of why most of their oils are not API certified and posted it (right before the thread was halted). Their explanation works for me, mostly the cost part and their problems with the API rules not addressing certain things (which I have forgotten).

Lets face it any oil company can (and probably does before submiting to API) perform the same tests as some self appointed licenseing org.
Although widely recognized API isn't some law, it's just like UL.
I can make a safe extention cord without UL approval just like an oil company can make something the meets or exceeds API ratings. They all (oil companies) know the standards in advance so they can test their own oil.

I have been using their oil for 10 or so years and didn't know most of their oils wern't API certified until a while back. I was happy before and it doesn't bother me now.

For all the Ford "spec" and warranty concerns some have I have news.
My brother lives about 100 miles away where we grew up and he told me the local Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer now offers Amsoil.

My personal belief is the auto world is going synthetic like it or not, I think we are a few years away from everything running on it, practically every tranny and rear end already comes out with it, I think all engines are not too far off.

There is my 2 cents worth.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:21 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by budman-mo
...For all the Ford "spec" and warranty concerns some have I have news.
My brother lives about 100 miles away where we grew up and he told me the local Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer now offers Amsoil.
Very interesting little tidbit, there, budman-mo. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:32 PM
2000Expy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First... I just discovered this special forum, it's a great idea, I was really tired of the haters who didn't want to discuss anything and just throw bombs.
I thought this place was for discussion but I was doubting it.

I keep seeing the API rating mentioned, some time back I was in the middle of this same discussion. I went and found Amsoil's explanation of why most of their oils are not API certified and posted it (right before the thread was halted). Their explanation works for me, mostly the cost part and their problems with the API rules not addressing certain things (which I have forgotten).

Lets face it any oil company can (and probably does before submiting to API) perform the same tests as some self appointed licenseing org.
Although widely recognized API isn't some law, it's just like UL.
I can make a safe extention cord without UL approval just like an oil company can make something the meets or exceeds API ratings. They all (oil companies) know the standards in advance so they can test their own oil.

I have been using their oil for 10 or so years and didn't know most of their oils wern't API certified until a while back. I was happy before and it doesn't bother me now.

For all the Ford "spec" and warranty concerns some have I have news.

My personal belief is the auto world is going synthetic like it or not, I think we are a few years away from everything running on it, practically every tranny and rear end already comes out with it, I think all engines are not too far off.

There is my 2 cents worth.
Traitors.....Blasphemers!!!!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 10:45 PM
budman-mo
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ha ha.
I am sure some would think so.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:47 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
For all the Ford "spec" and warranty concerns some have I have news. My brother lives about 100 miles away where we grew up and he told me the local Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer now offers Amsoil.
Well Ford dealers also sell/install lift kits, tuners and chips too, take one back after having a problem and find out how quick they will void your warranty for something they sold you. Quote unqoute, they will show you the owners manual and void the warranty with a smile on their face.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:32 AM
gusher
Junior User
anyone tried amsoils new 0w-20.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:51 PM
F250_
Hotshot
I'm using their Synthetic DEO 5W40.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:45 AM
F250_
Hotshot
I finally sampled yesterday. Ran a little late in getting teh sample at 6K miles instead of the planned 5K interval. Best part of it is this... absolutely no "top off" required. Oil level is right where it was when I topped off after changing the oil in January. Planning to send out the sample to Blackstone this evening. Will post results as soon as I receive them.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:14 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Blackstone Report Update

Got the report back (below).

Current plans are to re-sample and test again at 12,000 miles.

Change in future plans... given some of the information I've been discovering regarding lots of synthetic's tendency to entrain air and become frothy, I am rethinking which oil to try next. I still haven't found any "foaminess data" for the oil I am using right now (really haven't tried very hard), but I have seen some information demonstrating that the Schaeffer's 9000 series (fully synthetic 5w40) has excellent anti-foaming properties, so it is high on my list for the next oil change.

Attached Images
Old 05-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
It appears that Blackstone has modified their oil reports... or was this something you did?

I will not be due for an oil chgange for another 1,000 miles, but it appears from the post above that they now give base-line figures for virgin oil???

Numbers look good... keep on trucking and the "trace only" amount of fuel is a great thing!!!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Soilman
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's my .02 for what its worth. I have run mostly plain regular Valvoline 10W-30 just because I'm a long time Mark Martin fan. I run the filter I can get hold of when I need it. I plan on changing oil every 5000 miles regardless of how many times I have had the head lights under water but am lazy and have run a lot longer more times then I can mention. Twice I can remember 18,000 miles before I changed the dirt out of the oil pan. Hell I voided the warrenty with an engine mod between the dealer and home. Never added oil between changes, was never low at a change. Never spent a dollar on the engine except adding more HP mods, and I have added plenty. 5.4L sees 5000 rpm daily and 7500 rpm weekly. Only clean the K&N air filter when the mud gets more than a 1/4" thick covering the red color. Been rode like a true Ford should be, HARD! Wash the 4" of mud off the engine block every two weeks whether it needs it are not. 220,000+ miles and still going strong.

Point is this. If this motor gives out in the next 10 miles I drive I will say "That was a damn good motor!". What else could someone have asked it to do? Some people are looking to hard at what oil to run. Look at my example, don't care, don't take care and still the cheap stuff is getting the job done in spite of me.

Some of you sound silly to read about. Looking at specs and test results and getting your oil tested to see if its still ok and accually wasting time and lossing sleep over it, Why? What are you expecting from these super oils 1,000,000 miles and still going.

Ok you guys spend more money on oil, baby your engine because your scared, worry how long its goiing to last, do all the required services along the way to avoid furture problems, maybe get a few more miles out of the engine.

I will have a lot of use and fun, loss no sleep, have some good storys to tell, pick up more chicks, spend no money on the engine except to get more chicks and get better storys to tell, and oh yah get a lot of miles out of a good Ford engine. Relax people.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:10 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Beach... I modified the report with some cut and paste in order to compile all the various data from several reports together. I think it makes it simpler to do the comparison.

The "virgin oil" test is just another test I paid them to do on a sample I took frmo the bottle before filling the engine on the last oil change. I wanted to see how the values change in respect to the brand new oil for the additive package components, TBN, flash point, and viscosity. Without knowing where you start from, it can be difficult to define exactly what has changed over the life of the oil. It sosts me extra money, and I won't have this particular oil tested again, but I will do the same with every new oil brand/type I try so I can have a true baseline for the oil's starting point. I personally believe that it provides some context that is potentially very valuable in understanding exactly how well the oil is behaving.

Soilman... glad you're happy with your laid back approach. I've taken the same approach in the past on gas engines, and "it worked" for me too. In all honesty, it would probably work again on my PSD as well. So what? Being new to diesels, I not only interested, but am willing to spend money to learn how these things behave and how the oil behaves in them. I consider the whole thing a purchased education, and have not once lost any sleep over any of these issues. In fact, the entire education I am receiving from owning and working with this PSD is fun. Additionally, the fact that I spend money on this "education" has nothing to do with how many chicks I can pick up. Now, Soilman, don't take this as a slam, because it's not meant to be such, but if there's a correlation between "money spent" and "number of chicks" for you, then I would question the quality of the chicks you're picking up... After all, you're spending money on your type of fun, and I (and others) are spending money on our types of fun. The fact that they're different has nothing to do with any of us needing to relax.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Soilman
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pete,
We all got our own form of fun don't we. I can promise I wasted more money on my fun and education the hard way off-roading. In fact you caught me in lie, or lets say a flash back, I havn't picked up a chick since I picked up my loving wife 18 years ago and she is priceless. I was just being playful with that discription, but man I do have stories. And the "relax" was accually meant for others in this thread I scanned through, too long to read it all, but I won't mention any names like Bob or anybody. Keep it up because even though I don't plan on buying the stuff anyway I'd love to see you prove your point to make some of these guys eat crow!
Keep up the good work, Soilman

Quick Reply: The Amsoil Anomaly: