Losing truck :o(

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
Losing truck :o(

Ok,
Here is the deal. Stacy needs the truck out of his yard by Friday. For what reason I don't know, I did not push the issue. He wants to stop by tomorrow, and pay me the $200 I knocked off the price of my Rabbits for the truck. Then he can just junk the truck and be done with it.

I told him I would ask the club members if there was anyway to get it out of his yard by Friday. So, I am asking.

If not, then this truck is gone. I will have $200 but we will not have a 4x4 to build up. I may be able to stall him 24 hours and have him come down on Thursday with the money, to give us a day to figure something out. But if I don't get any replies, then I have no choice. I don't have the funds to tow it down here.

I realize it is not the end of the world, and we can find another truck, just a shame to lose this one. Then again, maybe the other truck we find will be in better shape, or have a clean title/non-op.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:04 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone come up with a trailer in the Fresno area before Friday?

Old 12-22-2006, 08:38 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So what's the status of this? Is it gone, is he able to hold it for us...what?

Old 12-22-2006, 09:57 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Sorry, it is history. I could not even find one of the comercial places willing to rent a spot.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:35 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
I was at our local wrecking yard today, he had several likely prospects. I can look more closely and get some prices.

I was bummed though...he seems to have had the Unibody Slick crushed. What a waste. We can't save them all though...

Hey Mike, you still have that F1? Maybe we could use that...

Old 12-22-2006, 10:44 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Naw, the beast is long gone.

What about the truck Tim is thinking at the pick and pull?

Old 12-22-2006, 11:36 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a 2x4. The only thing we'd want out of it is the complete engine as far as I can tell. But there might be other trucks out there, or in the area. I'll keep my eyes open when I get off work tomorrow morning. I'll pick up a couple advertising rags too.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:45 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
I'll go back to the local boneyard in the morning and look more closely at a couple of trucks that caught my eye today. He had a complete bumpside 4X4 out by the front fence, but there were a couple of other various trucks in the yard. Saw a recent addition today, a '70 or so crewcab 4X4 that was pretty complete. With a crewcab, we could all ride along...!

How about an F250 Unibody Slick...?

Old 12-23-2006, 03:43 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Okay, here's what I found out on my little sojourn this morning:

He has several possibilities, unfortunately some of the better ones are from the county's vehicle abatement program and he can't sell them complete, he can only part them out. He can also legally help me with the title problem with my truck, so it's now firmly back in the running.

4X4 stuff brings him a lot of money so he can't swing us a real good deal on a complete truck, it would be something on the order of 500-700 bucks. If we buy the parts to convert my '72 to 4X4 with P/S it would probably be around 300-500 bucks for the parts, which as I see it would consist mainly of the front axle complete with leaf springs (he has at least 4, maybe more, to choose from so maybe we can find one with 3.73 ratio to match the Dana 60 that's in the back of my '72) and the P/S box (I have several pumps, and maybe we can get one on the 460 in Carson).

Here's a link to the site where I uploaded the pics. Just ignore the other crap that's on there...

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l97/1TigerDan/

Click on the pics to enlarge.

1st pic is the crew cab 4x4, he can't sell us that one complete but there's a lot of good stuff on it.

2nd and 3rd pics are just some old cabs, the one on the ground still has the frame under it. Do we want one that's going to take that much work? I didn't think so...

4th and 5th pics are of a cool long bed '63 F250 Unibody Slick that could be converted to 4X4. A lot of work, but would make one way cool rig IMHO.

6th pic is a P/S box in a '77 F250 4X4. He said a hundred bucks for it. I'd grab the shaft from the column as well.

7th pic is two '77 f250 4X4s side by side. The silver one on the left is the one with the P/S box, it's pretty complete and straight but unfortunately is one of the abatement program trucks and can't be sold complete. The brown one next to it and in the following 2 pics is missing it's steering but is fairly complete other than that, although beat and bent. It could be bought complete, I'll bet I could get him to take 500 for it since the steering is missing, maybe I could get him down more if they pull the engine (FE) tranny and T-case since we won't need them. But, it's really beat and would certainly need a bed. Might be better just for parts...do we want to mess with one that new?

And the last 2 truck pics are of a '71 F100 short bed with a 360 FE in it. He's got title and all so it wouldn't even have to be sold on a junk slip. It's got a lot of little dents all over it and some rot just above the drip rail over the windshield. A lot of body parts from my truck could be used on it. He hadn't decided on a price for it, I could wave 500 bucks under his nose and see if he bites.

So, what do you all think? Anything there worth our consideration? He did have a lot of good straight 2-wheel-drive trucks for conversion, including a nice clean '75 super Cab (I have pics but didn't upload them.)

What are your thoughts, Hobson...?

Old 12-23-2006, 04:05 PM
fyre82
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-23-2006, 04:19 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Dan, buy the power steering box. It is a bargan, providing it is not the apower assist type but the one where the box does all the work.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:22 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
fyre, we need an F250, the one without a box is sold - I offered him $500 for it last week, and someone beat my offer.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:29 PM
fyre82
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres more now I was editing, I know ya want a 250 but I was browsing.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:56 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Dan, the dana 44 came in lots of different configurations. Their is some pictures at http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44.htm I found to be helpful.

It would be best to find one with disk brakes, but leaf springs and the 3/4 ton wheel pattern is the most important. I have a dana 60 with 3.54 rears, and oldfordstone has one in his yard we can have. It may have a better set of gears. Given the size of the tires we will be running 4.10s would not be too low - even lower is suggested.

I think we want a long wheelbase, but not the club or crew cab long. I guess longer is better in mud, but don't forget we will also be doing trails. We are already oversize for most rigs.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
Stacy's truck is gone this weekend. He came by and paid me the $200 for it last night. I told him to do whatever he wants with it since we can't get it. :-(