Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Senior User

twisted limb is starting off with a positive reputation.
differential fluid level on 02' explorer

I took the fill plug out on my rear diff. of my 02' explorer and fluid beagn to pour out so I quick put it back on.I was on perfectly level ground.I was under the impression it should be just at the fill hole.I am going to change it and the book calls for 3.25 pints of fluid plus the friction modifier.Any insight on why the fluid level is so high?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Post Fiend

steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.
there is a big plug, maybe a 3/4 inch square drive head, on the back of the pumpkin that is the drain plug... on the driver side toward the front nearer to the drive shaft is a smaller plug about half way from the bottom to the top of the case. it has a 3/8 inch suqare drive hole to remove it. the small plug is the fill, the big plug is the drain hole. it does hold almost 2 quarts of synthetic 75w 140 oil and 7 ounces of the friction modifier.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:01 AM
Senior User

twisted limb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks-I see the drain plug and the fill plug is on the back side just above and to the right of the drain plug.I was just wondering why fluid would run out of fill plug?It should not be pouring out of there unless it is overfilled, correct?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:21 AM
CO River Rat

Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Had you just driven it, or did you check it cold?

Steve

Smokestone 2010 Fusion SE 3.0L for Wifey

"I used to be wishy-washy, but now I'm not sure"
Old 12-20-2006, 09:21 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
2002, 2004, 2005, changing, check, diferential, diff, differential, explorer, fluid, ford, front, level, sport, trac