98 4.6L timing chain and sprocket alignment questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:39 AM
micahman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 4.6L timing chain and sprocket alignment questions

i have a 98 f150 with the 4.6 in it. did a headgasket job and decided to do the timing chain set as well. go the kit and put it all together and went to turn it over and she just turned a lil bit and stoped. i think i might have put the crank sprocket on backwards. would that sound right in why it wont turn over? i aligned the dots and it has tension on the chains. how about so tips or advice on what to do. should i flip that sprocket around ant try it again?

any help is greatly appreciated
thanks, Micah

Old 12-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Moved to proper forum.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:28 PM
micahman
Freshman User
thank you i appreciate it!

Last edited by micahman; 12-19-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:20 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Were all of the marks at 12-o-clock? Top and bottom gears?

Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 PM
micahman
Freshman User
i dont remember. im tearing it apart now in my garage and im going to go check in a few days here and ill get back to that.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:09 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Ok, let us know.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:36 AM
micahman
Freshman User
ok i pulled off the front cover and i took off the chains again and i re aligned all the marks up and after i reinstall everything acording to the book i still cant get it to turn a full turn by hand when i turn the crank by hand. it gets to a point to where it just wont budge. what should i do? i did a headgasket job on it and i had the heads off and i put them back on. everything is torqued and bolted to spec. i just cant figure it out. and i bought an aftermarket timing chain set cause it was due for one since i was that far into the motor and i can get it to all align up but it turns around to a point then i cant get it to budge. id love all the info you can give me and pics if i can get some too. you can e-mail them to me at glogee_2k@hotmail.com thanks

Old 12-22-2006, 01:41 AM
micahman
Freshman User
i need this truck runing by 2pm tomorrow and if i cant im not going to be happy.....ahh what can i do. need to drop in a crate motor and be done with it lol

Old 12-22-2006, 01:43 AM
micahman
Freshman User
i need a good picture on how all the sprockets look when it is all aligned. this chilton doesnt have good pictures to show how it aligns up properly or how it is suposed to look.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll ask a simple question..Did you get the right and left cams in the correct heads?
JL

Old 12-22-2006, 09:07 AM
micahman
Freshman User
hmmmm i set them out and i had them marked on which head they went to but through all the mix up i cold have put them on the oposite side. ill make sure and check it out.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by micahman
hmmmm i set them out and i had them marked on which head they went to but through all the mix up i cold have put them on the oposite side. ill make sure and check it out.
The easy way to check is to make sure the cam gear that has the cam position sensor "flag" on it should be on the driver's side.
JL

Old 12-22-2006, 10:04 AM
micahman
Freshman User
well took the cams out and they were in the corect spot so its not the cams. while i have the cams off i still cant turn it over a full turn by hand. i think im going to try to crank it over while i still have the cams out cause there is no pressure on the valves. if it still doesnt turn over what do u think would be stoping me from making the motor turn over?

Old 12-22-2006, 10:15 AM
micahman
Freshman User
well ok i threw a batery in it and i cranked it over. it was a little hesitant at first and i could hear some kind of hiting noise but it only hapened once but maybe thats when my harmonic balancer fell off. from when i had the heads off i stufed rags in the cyledar holes and some spots got kinda rusty a lil bit and i cleaned it off the best i could so maybe that was my resistance. have to remember this truck hasnt been started in almost 8-10 months. but now it turns over without a problem. no wi have to put all the timing stuff back on.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by micahman
well ok i threw a batery in it and i cranked it over. it was a little hesitant at first and i could hear some kind of hiting noise but it only hapened once but maybe thats when my harmonic balancer fell off. from when i had the heads off i stufed rags in the cyledar holes and some spots got kinda rusty a lil bit and i cleaned it off the best i could so maybe that was my resistance. have to remember this truck hasnt been started in almost 8-10 months. but now it turns over without a problem. no wi have to put all the timing stuff back on.
The only thing I'd worry about would be the the pistons/rings.If they were stopping at a rusted place in the cylinder-you could have fractured the ringlands on the pistons by forcing them past it.This is just hypothetical,but it's possible.
JL

Quick Reply: 98 4.6L timing chain and sprocket alignment questions