Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turbo dead. Now a 2002 stroker turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 04:06 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo dead. Now a 2002 stroker turbo!

So last thursday i am driving home from work and my truck is make a very high pitched whine. It was almost as high pitched as a bad brake whine. Then i went to fuel up and i shut the truck down and i heard the turbo spinning through the exhuast like normal then at the end i heard a bunch of loud clicks at the end like metal hitting metal. I get home and pull the intake boot off. I checked for side to side play and there was none. I decided to check for endplay and it moved more than a 1/4" back and forth! Then i pulled it one way and turned it and found out it was hitting the housing!
So at this point im very pissed off thinking that i will never find a turbo for my truck because it was an early 99 and i needed my truck to drive to work and such. A friend of mine calls me and i tell him what was wrong and a friend he was with goes, i got a turbo for you. Its off a 2002 stroker. So we ended up swapping all the parts to switch my early 99 to a 2002 turbo. We needed the intake manifolds, the five way manifolds, the pedistal, the up pipes with the collector, and the boots from the 5 way manifold to the intake manifolds. After about 7 hours of working on it(the stupid up pipe bolts on my truck were so stuck that the damn bolts would not come out, they were rusted to the inside of my exhuast manifolds) we got it complelted. Now I have to buy a AIH delete plug because i do not even have the circuitry for the AIH. Wow, i now know what you guys mean by surge. I did notice a diffrence at all between these turbo, because i belive my turbo has been going a long time since i bought it used and the owner who had it before me decided to do the CCV mod and left the original pipe in the intake with the nice big hole in it. So dirt go into it and fried my turbo. My turbo always acted goofy to me but i thought it was just an early 99 thing.
I will post picture in a little bit since my first attempt did not work.

Last edited by John311t; 12-18-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:17 PM
pullinair
Elder User
AIH plug = drain plug from a cummins oil pan.

Get an oil analysis done and see what shape youe engine is in after all that dirt consumption. Good news is you got the turbo replaced but all that dirt ends has to go somewhere. I would even go as far as getting your Intercoller cleaned at the very least. The ccv hole that was left uncovered after doing the ccv mod is a pretty big mistake on the previos owner. Hope all turns out good.

tim

Old 12-18-2006, 04:19 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate to break it to ya, but if your turbo was badly dusted due to an unfiltered path for air, your engine is not far behind the turbo. On the next oil change, send a sample to Blackstone Labs to have it analyzed. I hope its not bad, but all of the air that goes through the turbo (dust included) ends up going into the engine.

Did you mod the turbo at all, with a 1.15 housing, or a an ATS or WW or something?

Old 12-18-2006, 04:25 PM
John311t
Postmaster
No i have not modified the turbo yet. I will be sending in an oil analysis in on the next change which is on about a thousand miles. I really hope that my engine isn't dusted. I will be cleaning out the IC soon, along with getting the dirt and mud that has gotten packed in the radiator.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:38 PM
lakerats
Senior User
Huh - no turbo?

Originally Posted by John311t
....pissed off thinking that i will never find a turbo for my truck because it was an early 99....
Uh, guys...I have an early '99 (6/98). What's the issue with the turbo? Are none to be found for this model? You've got me nervous here.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:42 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Well, there is nothing wrong with them, other than their size. He was probably worried about the availability of getting one quickly, as he needed the turbo soon.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:47 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Yes it was the availability of a turbo. Should i get an OA on the oil i have in it now? Or should i wait till after the next change? How long did it take to get your analysis back?

Old 12-18-2006, 04:54 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
I sent the oil out on 09-09 i believe through priority mail, the analysis was done on 09/11 and i had the results in the mail by 09/13. How many miles are on the oil? Either take a sample when it's dead cold and NOT started, even to move it out of the shed. The other option is to get it to full operating temp and then take a sample. The Fumoto valve makes it really easy. How long have you been running like this, with an open hole in the intake?

Old 12-18-2006, 04:54 PM
pullinair
Elder User
Yes it was the availability of a turbo. Should i get an OA on the oil i have in it now??
Right now!!

How long did it take to get your analysis back?
3 days tops

Old 12-18-2006, 04:55 PM
lakerats
Senior User
John, are you planning on stickin' with the '02 turbo or do you (gulp) undo all that work to go back with original size, specs, etc?

Old 12-18-2006, 04:59 PM
lakerats
Senior User
Is the OA something that should be done on an ongoing basis or just when thiings go wrong? Blackstone Labs...do they have a website? My old girl has 118K on her and I bought her used at 90K. Go easy on me guys...I'm still new and learning.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:02 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Well there was nothing wrong with my truck, and i got one just to see what was happening inside. I was happy to hear back "Nice wearing 7.3 PSD!"

Old 12-18-2006, 05:09 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
I sent the oil out on 09-09 i believe through priority mail, the analysis was done on 09/11 and i had the results in the mail by 09/13. How many miles are on the oil? Either take a sample when it's dead cold and NOT started, even to move it out of the shed. The other option is to get it to full operating temp and then take a sample. The Fumoto valve makes it really easy. How long have you been running like this, with an open hole in the intake?
There is 4K on the oil now, I bought the truck in may and it had 130K on it. Then in september when the truck had about 143K on it i noticed the the intake was not plugged after the CCV mod on it. Before i bought the truck i did a carfax and the previous owner bought it at about 100K miles on it. He told me he did the work to the truck himself. So it has at the most 43K on the hole.
There is 148,9XX on it now.

Originally Posted by lakerats
John, are you planning on stickin' with the '02 turbo or do you (gulp) undo all that work to go back with original size, specs, etc?
I plan on keeping the newer setup. If my motor isnt going to go in the distant future i will upgrade to a diffrent turbo, but it will be able to bolt up into the my motor now. The early 99 has small intake manifolds inlets, a smaller 5 way manifold(to accomidate the small intake inlets into the motor), and the up pipes are shorter. Most aftermarket turbos i have found are for 99.5 and up so i know can bolt one in.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:13 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I sent my oil sample in on a thursday or friday. Sent UPS ground service was only a day from MI to IN where blackstone it and I had an e-mail from them monday evening with the result of my oil and a hard copy in the mail by thursday! Great Service! yes they do have a web site just type "blackstone labs" into google and it will come up.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:17 PM
lakerats
Senior User
I just checked out Blackstone Labs. Interesting site - good information and examples of reports.

I ordered a test kit (free), the analysis is $20 and the extra TBN (for additive analysis) is $10. Dunno...considering I really don't know what I've got, coupled with my steep learning curve and the desire to do some mods....it might make sense to get the OA done just to see where I'm at. After all, I don't know how the previous owner took care of the truck.

Kudos, Kris!....I still think you're over 40, own your own fleet or shop and have at least 20 years in the business. I was a d%^$ fine gas/race mechanic/driver in my day and you are absolutely blowin' me away!!

Quick Reply: Turbo dead. Now a 2002 stroker turbo!