Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2006, 07:16 AM
Junior User

plowboy2155 is starting off with a positive reputation.
First Batch!

Hello, I made my first 1-liter test batch of biodiesel last night using brand new peanut frying oil. Everything seems to have turned out normal, as far as I can tell. The separation and the glycerine looks just like the picture on biodieselcommunity, however, the biodiesel is very cloudy, unlike the BD in the picture. Also, this morning I noticed a white precipitant, soap, I presume? Even if its not perfect, I think it turned out great to be my first batch. On the KOH, I finally stumbled across some soapmaking sites that sell KOH in small quantities. I look forward to making more BD soon.

1996 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L (sob)
^- interim ride until a poor college kid makes enough money to drive a truck 30 miles a day. Or until the truck magically gets 28 mpg.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Taxpayer Subsidized

cmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputation
Congrats on the first batch. Hopefully some of the biodiesel enthusiasts (which should be ANYONE who drives a diesel) will chime in and explain the cloudiness and/or the soapy substance (I can't). Eventually, I'll get into it myself. Again, congratulations.

Steve

"The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; the second is war. Both bring a temporary prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunists." (Ernest Hemingway)
Old 12-18-2006, 10:23 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy2155
Hello, I made my first 1-liter test batch of biodiesel last night using brand new peanut frying oil. Everything seems to have turned out normal, as far as I can tell. The separation and the glycerine looks just like the picture on biodieselcommunity, however, the biodiesel is very cloudy, unlike the BD in the picture. Also, this morning I noticed a white precipitant, soap, I presume? Even if its not perfect, I think it turned out great to be my first batch. On the KOH, I finally stumbled across some soapmaking sites that sell KOH in small quantities. I look forward to making more BD soon.
Sounds like an incomplete reaction. What was the base amount of KOH you used in your test batch?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Junior User

plowboy2155 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The base amount that i used was between 7.5g/liter and 8g/liter. I might also mention that I think the oil was still too hot when I added the methoxide and some of the methanol probably boiled off. Impatience never pays off. I did do this outside, by the way.

1996 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L (sob)
^- interim ride until a poor college kid makes enough money to drive a truck 30 miles a day. Or until the truck magically gets 28 mpg.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:36 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels