Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Freshman User

pilot4x41 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can you disable auto 4wd on Explorer?

Is there a way to disable the auto 4 wheel drive on a 98 Explorer for testing purposes? I believe there is a module but can't remember where it's located and I don't know if it can be temporarily disabled.
John
Old 12-19-2006, 03:14 AM
Junior User

koldstart is starting off with a positive reputation.
There is a plug on the transfercase you can dissconnect that will dissable the AWD system. Doing so will only have the rear wheels drive the car.

Lying on your back slide under the driverside door and you will see what I'm talking about. Its a big connector, can't miss it.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Postmaster

aquanaut20 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Or, you could just disconnect the brown wire that goes into the T/C case near the output shaft. you would then have 2H and 2L
Old 12-20-2006, 01:26 AM
Freshman User

pilot4x41 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the info I'll give it a try tomorrow.

John
Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 PM
New User

Dai101 is starting off with a positive reputation.
First of all sorry for this long necro bump. Secondly i've a 93 Aerostar that has the front differential busted and it cost a good $$$ to fix it and don't have that much at this moment so i ask if this same method can be used to my truck? Any other thing i have to do? Many thanks in advance and again sorry for this bump.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Postmaster

aquanaut20 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai101 View Post
First of all sorry for this long necro bump. Secondly i've a 93 Aerostar that has the front differential busted and it cost a good $$$ to fix it and don't have that much at this moment so i ask if this same method can be used to my truck? Any other thing i have to do? Many thanks in advance and again sorry for this bump.
I believe your ride has AWD, it is therefore a different kettle if fish and the answer would be, NO!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Postmaster

KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.
You should ask that question in the Aerostar section. The answer would be very no. If you disable the AWD computer, it will still try to drive the front driveshaft. If you try to disconnect the driveshaft, the van will either not move, or will only move until you grenade the transfer case, which won't take very long at all, maybe a few miles. The AWD Aerostar is designed to drive all the wheels all the time.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Senior User

impish is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The difference between All Wheel Drive and "Auto 4WD" drive ought to be made clearer.

Auto 4WD uses an electronic clutch which does not engage power to the front wheels until slippage or speed difference is present betwe4en front and rear wheels.

AWD provides power to both front and rear at all times, though the power "split" is not constant.

impish
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 PM